Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: build your own

Bruce tried to contact you.. no luck''wouyld you send me an e mail I have and ide

Thanks

Jeff

Re: build your own - Pro Kits

Bruce (and others)
The thought of building an accordion is pretty enticing. Better yet, pro accordion kits would be a new wave on the forefront of matters should builders ever lean in that direction. Some might even say it would be a very progressive change in many ways for those coming into it... those die hards that are already into it ...and especially those that are reluctant to get overly into matters due to high dollar costs of a finished hand made done up turnkey.
Superior parts. I think separate the cheap accordions from the handmade accordions. Granted, nothing beats the knowledge and time proven tallent of a true builder of turnkey handmade accordions. So the question is; can a pro kit come close?

If a builder did all the rough cuts (using their jigs etc.) bundled all the rods, parts, wood, bellows, leathers and reeds into a complete kit... the rest would be a matter of assembly on the buyers part. The down side of this would be that filling the reed blocks, waxing and tuning which would most likely require a home builder to send the accordion off to the builder/outfitter for final inspection and tuning (with a return to the owner). I think it would be a cool way to having an accordion however, and, at somewhat an affordable price (for the price concious).

Some might say that the hand made La. accordion may be deminished by such a process kit, and, become demeaning to the cultural thing... others may say, the secret of releasing the "how too" would take bacon off the table of the builders themselves and cause a ruckus among those that tend to have a run on supply and parts. What I do know (or rather feel), is that folks like John Roger should be commended for coaching those that are building their own accordion... that is a true ambassidor in my book.

This method of obtaining (building) an accordion may not be for everyone, of that I am sure. I doubt that it would overly strain the economy of builders, which continue to take orders for a turn key handmade accordions. All else would be mere process engineering and here is what you need with directions both French and English (ha).

Any thoughts??

Nonc D

Re: Re: build your own - Pro Kits

You are right about John, he is extremely generous with his knowledge. But I havent met one builder who wasnt generous with his knowledge and time to the point of making me feel guilty. Very few crafts are this way.

In my inexperienced mind, it is hard for me to imagine a builder being able to knock off enough $ in a precut kit to make it worthwhile to a customer. The actual gluing together is a pretty minor part of it. Most who could finish out an accordion should be able to make one, and he would still need a tuner. If he is only gluing precut parts together and having someone else tune it, the labor savings would be extremely minimal.

Again, just a humble beginners opinion. John, Jude, or Rusty may have better insight.

Re: Re: Re: build your own - Pro Kits

Kits

Some of you my have read some of my older posts where I consider new boxes to be kits

There atre too many parts and too many possibilites for these boxes, even when custom ordered< to not be exactly to our personal expaectations and taste.. I take that as the norm and fiddle with them and or when necessary return them for tweaking.. such as tuning ans so on.. just part of the package
I believe this to be true of custom ordered guitars aor any other instruemnt

Kits as proposed in the previous post

Bruce is right...

Martin guitar offers "kits" pre bent sides pre cut necks etc......expensive by themselves...

It is the fitting and fiddling and of course with the accordeon the reeds and the reed tuning that is the trickiest IMO

Good Idea .. but the execution would be a problem
I also see the kit maker on the phone or the computer for more time than it took to cut the parts....I see this backfiring big time for the kit provider

price the Polverini "Cajun" accordeon kits... no bargain there.... these have been available for at least 6 years... have you ever seen one completed.. not me.. I've seen the kits and passed... but have never seen one assembled...

Again an admirable idea but loaded with some problems in the actualization

Re: Re: Re: Re: build your own - Pro Kits

I see your point Jeff.
When is all said and done, there may not be much head room for cost savings, as such. And, the calls to builders would naturally be over the top no doubt for "how to do this and that". A quagmire.

Ms. Linda says I need to build something (not quite sure why) ... ok, that's cool

So here lately, I have developed this odd bug for an ultralight plane kit. In which case, one missing bolt could be fairly interesting on a maiden voyage (eh?). I may want to up my life ins. on open enrollment or think of playing more accordion

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: build your own - Pro Kits

So NoncD Join the yahoo builders group and have a go at a box project.....

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!