Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Personal Tastes and Endless Debates

I agree with Rick Reid, debate is good, but I do also agree with Joel Savoy, the critique of the Pine Leaf Boys went over the top, Cajun music should bring people together, otherwise why spend all this time discussing music instead of playing it? .
Popularity contests and musical tastes are all well and good, sometimes people forget taste is mostly subjective, no matter what your level of knowledge is and how much of an expert you feel yourself to be!
I like more cajun than zydeco but there are some zydeco tunes that really move me, especially live, that's only my taste not an objective judgement . Does't say anything about cajun or zydeco music really, only says something about me and what I think and enjoy as an individual.
Y en a qui aime les blondes, y en a qui aime les brunes, moi je les aime toute qui ont des belle tou-t...es

Re: Personal Tastes and Endless Debates

Well shucks, man I agree with you. Not to perpetuate the conundrum that ol' Maz started (just kiddin' witcha, brutha!) but to simply underscore your post with my humble compliance.

I know I've said it before -- if we all agreed on everything, and all liked the same things, this forum would be as boring as a box of rocks. I stand by that. And if all we did was chat about Cajun accordions, Cajun accordion music and musicians, it wouldn't be long before we are repeating ourselves. Once in a while a lil' lagniappe is a good thing. It's sad that it can go wonkie at times. If I have peed anyone off, my apologies. I'm never too big to apologize for misunderstandings.

I've been accused of having an oddball sense of humor -- and sometimes it's rather sublime -- and it's not often interpreted with clarity in writing. But I've got the fine artist/graphic designer/musician/songwriter gene, which is just as misunderstood as it is appreciated. So I create from my heart -- and if someone doesn't [get it] then let me interpret. If they still don't like it, then someone else will. If no one else likes it then I still like it!

For instance, I picked out SRV, Amedee Ardoin, Robert Johnson, etc. as musicians I didn't care to listen to. I knew very well there were hardcore fans of those artists right here on this board. Truth be known, I own CDs of these artists and often listen to them, particularly the blues while shooting pool and whiskey. What I was doing was satirizing what soundhound did with the PLBs. It was a weak attempt at diffusing the eruption of contempt that was starting to roll. It probably backfired on me, but that's the risk I take, as most of my posts are written with a smile on my face (y'all can't see it, but it there).

I'm the type of person who just won't let anyone get my goat. Feel free to tell me to go to [ach-ee-double-toothpicks] and I won't think any less of you. You can tell me that my accordion sucks, my band sucks and you hate my haircut and I'll just tell you that you are entitled to your opinion and I won't have to put your name on the guest list at my next gig. But I will ask you what it is that you like -- what accordions, what bands, and where you go to get your haircut. I'm going to find out why I'm not floating your boat. I'm not going to bury you in one shot -- it'll be one pinch at a time -- and the best part of it all -- I will bet you a dollar to a donut that we will end up friends, and not enemies.

So couple that with my quest in life, which is all things Creole, and you've got a laid-back, hardcore zydeco fan that loves to be part of this forum -- and I blabber just as much as Nonc D! I know there's some folks that think since I'm an outlander from TX, that I can't possibly even be a qualified pundit on LA music. I assume these critics are aces. I ask them to share their knowledge with me -- or at least quiz me to see if I pass the exam.

Warren Zevon was quoted on The Late Show with David Letterman, back on 10/30/02... he said, "Enjoy every Sandwich." Think about that. If you ask me, that's a truly huge statement. I concur wholeheartedly.

R!CK

Re: Re: Personal Tastes and Endless Debates

ZRick I like Robert Johnson and the whole story about him. Most of it ficitional probably but makes good reading. Now for some real Mississippi Delta Blues try Elmore James or Son House. Man I like that gritty stuff.

I see that you do a cajun music radio show. I used to do a similar show on WWOZ in New Orleans back in the early 80's

Re: Re: Re: Personal Tastes and Endless Debates

Yeah, John -- The blues has a rich history, for certain. There's a style of blues for every region it emanates from. It's interesting to listen to the differences. Even Dallas has it's own -- heck Lead Belly has a legacy here, not to mention SRV.

Did you know that even Lead Belly played the Cajun accordion? See this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Leadbelly_with_Accordeon.jpg

Here in Dallas, you can't swing a cat without hitting a blues band. I guess that's motivation for me to do something different -- including on the radio. KNON is very similar to WWOZ in concept, just a lot less Louisiana-centric and without the corporate donations. It's a very diverse community radio station. The blues format is the breadwinner for the line-up.

My show started off in 1989 as a mixed bag of Louisiana genres. Back then I would spin Cajun, R&B, street brass, trad jazz, and zydeco. It was all over the map. You'd hear Danny Barker, Zachary Richard, Dr. John, The Meters, Fernest Acenaux, Kid Ory, and Rusty & Doug, etc., back-to-back. But in recent years, I've streamlined it to strictly zydeco with a heavy emphasis on new music. I follow a Cajun show, so it makes sense to flip the coin and concentrate on Creole music. It's paid off, too. My listenership has expanded considerably -- perhaps of the focus and modern textures in contrast to the hour of mostly traditional Cajun music preceding my hour of programming.

So while the Houston to Lafayette zydeco scene is in high rotation with me, one has to admit the unbelievable amount of styles and genres of music that shines brightly from the Bayou State. One could spend a lifetime exploring and celebrating the astounding number of collective talents that make the sole of the ragged boot home. There's no place else like it on Earth!

R!CK

I'm listening to "La Musique" right now and there ain't one thing I don't like. I apologise if I said anything against the PLBs. "Homage a Poullard" has got me tapping and moving as well as anything by the Lost Bayou Ramblers, the Mamou Playboys, Savoy/Doucet etc. Keep it up guys.

"Joel Savoy " ??

The only thing "over the top" was the thread started by "Wilson Savoy"

Re: Re: Personal Taste, blabbery and Southern ways

Rick... I am surprised you have a goat to get. When the bbq brisket runs out, shinnerbock and roast goat can't be all that bad within a metro plex area.
While some may contend that the art of fine blabbery is not fully appreciated by lower primates, I can only hope that the unfortunates can come to grip on such communicative abilities, and grow.

As for Wilson (here is a prospect): Regardless of what folks may think, he is destined to be a great musician (if not already)and inheiritor of a specific legasy. His youth is no differant than many.. nor is his sensitivity towards matters of his musical calling. This brings into focus some of the real mannerisms of Southern upbringing. Defending to the death and standing by others, is simply characteristic of old ways, stemming from southern roots. This is not just simple blabbery, and folks need to realize the variations of who, what, when, where and why a person would lean towards such stuff.

Rick (not to single out just Rick, as it applies to many) asks; Are things changing? Is this board a critique for musicians ? Ans. Yes to both. Old folks of Southern staunch mannerisms will tell you things have changed. Communications mass media 101 will further tell ya that an audience can be swayed in a direction by the heirarchy of influence on most any subject (even music or musicians). I believe Rick and many others know that facet very well and mean well to the spark of getting others to comprehend what it is all about.

So for the sake of personal taste and debate; Those of us coming into this music (or those that are emmersed or wish to be), you can not fully emmerse yourselves without a comprehension of Southern cultural mannerisms (good or bad). Understanding the paradigm shift from cultural norms of old, to that of the new. To avoid that understanding, simply builds walls where we (outsiders) are sincerely (mostly) seeking to scale them in order to advance our understanding. Some southern folks do have problems with bits and pieces (as it may be)when it comes to the cultural norms of a set of southern ways. I am convinced that young Wilson is a product of old upbringing (re: Southern mannerisms) and teatering on living in a modern world of many variations of people and belief systems. He is also caught up in a contemporary world that houses many forms of media conversation that spans a globe. When the debate hits the forefront of bravenet (one form of media), we need simply remember that certain mannerisms do exist as a product of who he is and what he has been taught. I understand such matters (as do others), where many may not (and perhaps need too). Things have changed, while there are still many that practice, live and die the old ways of Southern folks.

In my traditional blabbery fashion, I will leave ya this to ponder:

I once witnessed a grandmother put a couple bumps on her grandsons head with a cane. This young boy failed to say "Yes Mam" to my wife. I felt pretty bad for the boy, yet at the same time knowing, such was the ways and mannerisms in Southern Mississippi.
Today such stuff still exists, and I suppose depending upon where you are, could result in a dandy pair of chrome bracelets and a cot within a jail cell for child abuse. Freedom of speach (it is a fine gesture) till you land yourself in the middle of stauch Southern Americana ways that may still house a set of rules for living and carrying on. Once understood, no finer more gracious folks will you find on the planet. It is in the knowing that matters. Eat more goat.

Live and love, it's cool.

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: Personal Taste, blabbery and Southern ways

Enjoyed your commentary -- as always, Nonc D!

By the way, the whacks from the cane have healed!

Goat ain't bad,

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!