Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Haha! What are the chances of this... played til it went in tune.

Interesting...

I have an accordion in E, tuned five cents wet (very slightly wet) and noticed recently that one of the notes turned completely dry. I thought for sure the wet tuned "mid" reed was not responding, but in fact it had gone five cents back to dry!

you might say it wasn't ever wet tuned, but when I got the accordion back in the mail I checked every single reed on that mid bank to make sure it was properly wet tuned 5 cents off.

Amazing, at least I have the patience to tune at least one reed here and there. It's back where it's supposed to be now.

Re: Haha! What are the chances of this... played til it went in tune.

The chances of this happening, according to the Bureau of Statistical Anomalies is 300 to 1.

Sounds like ghosts, Jim. I'd get a good psychic to come check out your closets and armoires. If you're storing your box in a closed-in space, you may have a ghost.

I've got a similar ghost in my fridge. I'll bring home an 18 pack of Bud and swear I only drink about 9 of them. The next day, I find the remaining empties in odd places around the house.

If the psychic can't do you any good, it's probably a leather that got caught up in your reed.

Ever play a theremin? Attracts ghosts like the Pied Piper.

R!CK

Re: Re: Haha! What are the chances of this... played til it went in tune.

heheh, Rick, you's one funny mofo

Cajun Theramin players

Twin fiddles is cool !
What about twin Theramin and steel solos?

Re: Cajun Theramin players

A saw might prove to be a better choice!

Fun knee...

R!CK

Re: Re: Cajun Theramin players

So, you've heard me play fiddle?

Only if you're doing Cajun science fiction, something like "The Thibodaux Zone".

NO KIDDING! I was at a party in upstate NY a few years back, with lots of people who played Cajun music. A friend of mine brought a Theramin as a gag and everyone had to have a go at it -- so, no kidding, I have heard Cajun tunes played on the theramin!
-Andy

Re: Re: Cajun Theramin players

Geeeeet ouuuuttaaa heeeeerrrre! What are the chances!?

That's way cool, Andy!

Upstate NY... ya know, somehow I can truly see that happening!

C'est bon,

R!CK

the saw

Funny you mentioned a saw... I made a friend at Augusta this year named Rick who brought a saw with him and sat in for some jams... I thought it actually was really cool at the jam.

Re: the saw

Huzzah!
Watch out for the Ricks! They make ya see what ya never saw before!

That was weak.

Sorry.

I just had to.

R!CK

Re: Re: the saw

not weak ; rickety

Re: Haha! Wet

Ha-ha! 5 cents off isn't wet tuned.
That's what we call "Out of tune!"

DP

Re: Re: Haha! Wet

Ok, damp tuned then

Actually Dana

When you stop and think about it, any degree of wet tuning is technically "out of tune"

And out of tune it is, and man oh man does it sound sweet!

Re: Actually Dana

"Damp". That's genius!

R!CK

Re: Haha! What are the chances of this... played til it went in tune.

hi Jim. How-za goingz?

I found while tuning & fixing accordions: Quite often cleaning reeds from smoky-pub debris, rust, grease, you name it, and checking wax for airleaks and leathers for contact problems, stickyness etc. quite often brings an instrument back to most of it's original pitch .....

Nout

Re: Re: Haha! What are the chances of this... played til it went in tune.

nout,

Yeah, I've noticed that with reeds as well. The reeds are relatively new and haven't seen any real bad weather or dirty conditions... I have, however played the hell out of it since I've gotten it back in E.

It used to be in C, but I already have another C box.

E is the most lovely key for a Cajun accordion, I do declare! Too bad they don't have fiddles that tune to E. Not much of a big deal to me anyway, because there are not really any Cajun fiddlers in the area. The ones I do jam with I see once every few months.

Re: Re: Re: Haha! What are the chances of this... played til it went in tune.

Yeah, I understand fiddles don't like those B flats and A flats.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!