Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Accordica & Cajita

Very clever.. Bravo ! ! !

Thats pretty nifty Alexander! Did you have plans to build with? Pretty nice workmanship for only ever doing shelves. Its even got mitred corners!
Greg

Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

Nice to see ya, Greg! Stay warm up there in KC! I see y'all are gettin' a visit from ol' man Winter today.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

Hey Rick,
The salt trucks are busy! Great night for a hot pot of gumbo.
Greg

Good evening Claude,
Still looking for a deal on a Lion Trimmer. Thanks for your suggestions.
Greg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

Though I don't do business with Grizzly.. they had a copy of the Lion Trimmer

Check out frame shops as many have upgraded from Lion trimmers to more modern equipment...

Lion trimmers are best used as a nibbler after you have cut it close..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

There was a company in Massachussetts that had the rights to the "Lion" name, and although their website is still up, they appear to be "out of business" now.

Lee Valley sells a similar trimmer that I've been thinking about getting. I also have a neighbor in the framing business who uses a really massive trimmer that I might be able to get some time on for a few frames in exchange for some homebrews. (Wishful thinking).
-Andy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

BTW,any of these cutters: "Morso", "Lion" trimmers or other cast iron trimmers will cut incremental cuts, from 45 to 90 degrees, offering enough latitude from Butt joints to Mitterred, should their choices dictates . C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

Yeeper, El Norte, I suggested to Gregg these 2 things already, and you're absolutely right,in saying "nibbling", hence the name "Trimmer", which, basically means" to make neat and tidy", although Gregg, used a real,so nicely old fashionned saying: "Creeping up, the finish size, with the trimmer" .
Spoken like a true artisan.
As you know i'm dabbling in art, somewhat, and I've already asked some art framers to see if they have a trimmer that they would like to part with.
Same should go with all of us in order to help Gregg, one of our braves, with his accordeon building needs.
So if you know someone with that kind of tool, you could always drop him a line.
C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

My next door neighbor has a professional framing shop ... 500 feet from my house.. been doing it for 40 years

The trimmer in use is a double deal.. cuts 2 pieces at once

and though it is possible to adjust it to cut
90 degrees
It is not called a BUTT trimmer
but a mitre trimmer.. : )

PS Cornell is "fantastique"
merci ! ! !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

You're welcome!,you bloody, deserve it.

Enjoy, and keep them boxes, coming!!!!! .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordica & Cajita

I got mine from Rockler with one of their 20% off coupons. It works beautifully. I had been watching Ebay for a few months for a Lion trimmer, but they are going for much more than a new import. But from what I can tell the imports like what I got are pretty well made, and several woodworking suppliers carry them. When I was checking, I think Grizzly had the best price. Makes beautiful miters. Jude Moreau has one like mine that he has been using for quite a while and he said he has never had to sharpen the blades. I have cut some decent miters on the table saw, but never as perfect as those finished with one of these trimmers.

So,

Does the Cajita have cajones ? : )

The cajita has mitred corners and a small box by convention is feminine, so no cajones--well I guess anything is possible (ie H. Clinton). The whole box was made using Chinese tools from Home Depot & plywood from Michaels. Riobi table saw and Riobi sander. Probably most of the tools, sawblades, bits, screws, finishing washers, etc. were made in China. I bet there is more Chinese in an LA box than we realize.

Very creative and resourceful

pragamatism at its best

great job

the box could be a maricon (sp ) : ) ! !

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!