Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No Plate on Ends of Keyboard?

Often dovetails and their application is misunderstood

The reason dovetails are used on drawer fronts... they are self locking and it would be near impossible to pull off a drawer front form its sides

Yuppie woodworkers ( it's all about image not substanse) go overboard with dovetails and using them with out respect for the original intent or:

Look at me look at me I can make a dovetail

While I like the looks and and they do serve a purpose in a box type construction, chests and so on.. common with Shakers.. they did not use them decoratively.. against their principles of design and utility

I don;t care for the metal corners so anything but a butt joint workls for me

Hohner uses "box" or fingerjoints under the celluloid of many of their accordeons such as the Coroan and the Erica

As to endplates their are many ways around them, most requiring more technical woodworking

However, their is nothing wrong with the "Cajun" style keyboard...and as to strength when was the last time you saw a broken keyboard.. similar to bellows, hard to damage one in normal use

I am with Claude on this one... protruding screws is
clumsy.. use flat heads and counter sink them

I have another way of dealing with the use of an end plate. Proprietray of course : )

I think "mortise" has been used where another term would best describe the cut.....

The keyboards I have fashioned are nothing like the "Cajun" style... because the innards are also different.

John,

May I suggest building an accordeon or at least some parts..

But I strongly suggest before going off on a tangent
build a copy of the Capitaine...you have a model..

This would give you more of an understanding of what is involved

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No Plate on Ends of Keyboard?

I must have missed it in a previous thread, is someone making dovetailed corners on accordions? What I saw once in a "one-off" box in Canada was a veneer-splined miter corner. It can be done attractively and I don't think that it will draw in too many yuppies. And if someone really wanted to show off with dovetails, at least try the Japanese "twisted" dovetails. It would probably be the first accordion to use this kind of joinery, which is fun to look at since it is not always obvious how the pieces were assembled.

Off-topic, but: what gets me about dovetails is the use of machine-cut dovetails, which apparently some individuals still find attractive.
-Andy

NOW I see where it came up in the thread above

There are a lot of ways to make the keyboards, and if you look at ca. 1900 instruments, you'll see the variations. It's one particular design that has become the Cajun standard. If I can figure out a way of posting pics of my Mélodie, you'll see a different kind of keyboard.
-Andy

Twisted Sisters

I have a fascinating book on Japanese joinery

talk about taking things to the limit !

Not alwyas practical but definitley shows what their clever monds will conceive...brilliant stuff

Machine dovetails are as strong as a hand cut dovetail they just don't have the character,, and it is hard to stagger the spacing

Re: Twisted Sisters

Some of those twisted joints have an amazing amound of mechanical strength and good glue surfaces, so someone who could make them proficiently could make accordions with them --- more strength than necessary, but a very attractive way to avoid metal hardware and create a unique-looking accordion.
-Andy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No Plate on Ends of Keyboard?

Yup, I should try and reproduce my Le Capitaine. Perhaps an ambition and resolution for the New Year. Could certainly do worse.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No Plate on Ends of Keyboard?

As that box is an evolution of the traditional "Cajun"
accordeon.. you could use that as a model without stepping on anyone's toes

I came up with an idea for the box builders group which I have passed on to the powers that be

Essentially it is ripping off a very fine Guitarist/guitar maker and teacher in California by the name of David Schramm( sp)

he started a classical guitar buuilders group on yahoo

the format was that all those who could would build the same guitar from the same plans simultaneously and post their questions problems tips tricks and achievements on the discussion group

Schramm would then guide all throught trh eproceedure

Thsioe that were not yet in a position to build would also follow along and could and would enter the discussion
this would better prepare them for the next go round

Many shared parts and pieces and did work for others that did not have a full shop

I think the idea has merit...

choose a plan
collect materials
start assembly in stages with a 6 month completion time as the target

this also would allow for spreading out the expense
rather than be out of pocket all at once

Maybe you might consider this and prompt the site owers/managers to consider this

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!