Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on Construction accordion frame joints

B I N G O ! ! !! ! ! ! !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on Construction accordion frame joints

I love the aesthetic effect of exposed and rounded wood corners, but my Bon Cajun has spent some time on the bar room floor while I reached for my 'tit fer or guitar, so I'm glad for its metal corners.

Some of us have it in us to treat instruments with tenderness at all times, but some of us get distracted too easily...

Steve Blais

round corners

also exist,
see link #1 (same link as the bellows)

Why make an accordion h-bomb proof when the flappers bend, the bellows kan leak, the reeds fall off in summer and the player lost the key of the safe where it's in?

Gus

Re: round corners

Gus I understanfd

However

I have never had an accordeon where the levers bent the bellows went bad or the reeds fell off and I don;t lock them up

I guess I am form another world.

I have a 1959 Guild M-20 Guitar that aside form a few tiny dings looks like a new instrument

I mhave a 1977 Strat hardtail that aside form a few button dents on the back looks new

I have an 1880's 2 row accordeon that shiolf look beat but looks quite good

Most of the "high end" accordeojn mkaers round their corners

among them would be

Gaillard
Briggs
Kinkora
Castagnari
Melodie

No metal required

A spline dmitre precludes the use of an inner corner block
I find no need for an inner corner block using a proper jopint
But a mitre with a block is fine

Considering Gaillard was first and "ebiniste" joiner/cabinet maker I have no doubt he may be using a short spline like a miniature biscuit or he could be using a blind dovetail
but that would be over kill

I have not looked inside a Gaillard to see if there is a corner block

He is a very clever guy and a fine wood worker but also somewhat conservative.. I am sure whatever he uses is "just right" for the job

Re: Re: round corners

That's a good thing you said, Jeff:

"just right" for the job.

So, I just leave it to the builders to decide. And I have the choice to buy or not.
(btw, and off topic: Gaillard makes very nice instruments. But I like the old ones that have an other sound. Do you know why?)

Gus

Re: Re: Re: round corners

Gus,
I assume that you are talking about the older Gaillard boxes. I also love the sound of the four-voice boxes that he used to make (he does still make a one-row, four voice). I wish that there were more Gaillards around!
-Andy

Re: Re: Re: round corners

I think the older Gaillards had the reeds mounted on leather

I think the new ones are waxed reeds but I do not know for sure

One of my favorite sounding Gaillards is Yann Fanche's older 2 1/2 row in A/D

this was before he standardized his designs and shortened the 1/2 row

Re: round corners

That's a cool looking one row with four stops. Years ago, I played a weekend music camp at Chesapeake Bay. There was a guy there with a Canadian built box that had corners that were rounder than that and the keyboard was ergonomic. For years, I thought it was a Melodie, but I have not seen another one like it.

Re: Re: round corners

The Mélodie has rounded corners, but so do Simard's boxes. Normand Miron build ONE box with rounded corners, which he sold to an amateur player who may have since sold it -- it was a great box but with a rather strange keyboard (hard to describe).
-Andy

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!