Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Back to the Basics 2, Marc Savoy

Apparently you have not met Mr Savoy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Back to the Basics 2, Marc Savoy

That is true I've never met Marc Savoy. I've only spoken with him on the phone once. But, do you really think he hasn't earned his place in the Cajun accordion world? There is ego earned and ego falsely claimed. My understanding is that he has been more than generous is sharing his knowledge of both playing and building accordions. I think he has reached a point in life where explainations are not really necessary.

After the slamming of PLB's here on the board, are we now going to slam Marc Savoy? I don't want any part of it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Back to the Basics 2, Marc Savoy

Absolutely no one "slammed" the PLB

they gave honest opinions

something not welcome here historically

And no one has "slammed" Marc Savoy

but his reputation is universal

I once suggested talking about that which we have personal and original experience...

but hey.. it's a free world

Re: Back to the Basics 2, Marc Savoy

I know this topic been around back when. But has anyone figured out the titles to the songs on this CD. I sure would like to now, as others would to. Marc came up with this:
1-2-3 ?
4- Chère mam
5- La branche du murier
6- Two-step de l'acadien
7- La coulée Rodair ??
8- Walker special
9- Valse de l'orphelin
10- Midland two-step
11- Tolan waltz
12- Mamou two-step
13- ?

ANY TAKERS.

(Apparently you have not met Mr Savoy)

LOL!!!!!!!! Jeff I think you and ole Marc just got off on the wrong foot or something. He has always been super nice to me when I was down there or even asking my stupid questions over the phone. Bruce

Another thought: - The map is NOT the territory

Weight that, dear hearts.

I won't presume to know another man's mind, BUT maybe Marc wants you to know the songs experientially, and NOT be able to name them, which somehow diminishes them, in furtherance of that goal. It's a different way of looking at things. Sure, there are good, practical, vital reasons to name things; it's why we have language. But don't forget, you lose something of the reality of a thing we you name it.

Reminds me of the quote "The map is not the territory". Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

The map is not the territory is a remark by Alfred Korzybski, encapsulating his view that an abstraction derived from something, or a reaction to it, is not the thing itself, e.g., the pain from a stone falling on your foot is not the stone; one's opinion of a politician, favorable or unfavorable, is not that person; a metaphorical representation of a concept is not the concept itself; and so on. A specific abstraction or reaction does not capture all facets of its source—e.g., the pain in your foot does not convey the internal structure of the stone, you don't know everything that is going on in the life of a politician, etc.—and thus may limit an individual's understanding and cognitive abilities unless the two are distinguished. Korzybski held that many people do confuse maps with territories, in this sense.

Korzybski's dictum ("The map is not the territory") is also cited as an underlying principle used in neuro-linguistic programming, where it is used to signify that individual people in fact do not in general have access to absolute knowledge of reality, but in fact only have access to a set of beliefs they have built up over time, about reality. So it is considered important to be aware that people's beliefs about reality and their awareness of things (the "map") are not reality itself or everything they could be aware of ("the territory").

Of course, you may counter with: We say the map is different from the territory. But what is the territory? Operationally, somebody went out with a retina or a measuring stick and made representations which were then put on paper. What is on the paper map is a representation of what was in the retinal representation of the man who made the map; and as you push the question back, what you find is an infinite regress, an infinite series of maps. The territory never gets in at all. […] Always, the process of representation will filter it out so that the mental world is only maps of maps, ad infinitum.

But when you leave out the name, you get a little closer to the "thing", the territory. And maybe that is where Marc is trying to lead.

Yeah, I don't presume to know Marc's mind - but it sure is fun to guess!

And BTW, I've read some of Marc's interview with himself, and most of it is SPOT-ON in my book. Don't even get me started on Corporate media driven bull**** replacing real folk culture and community. They 'bout had to throw me out of a so-called "Country" bar the other night when they started playing funk disco with strobe lights going.

I know there was alot of talk why Marc did't put the song titles on his cd. It doesn't matter to me. And I hope that we can put that to rest. I thought that since time has goin by, some of you that have been into cajun music for several years might recognize the songs for the rest of use that don't have a clue. I started to learn one of the tunes and some one ask me whats the name of that song, and I said I don't now. They looked at me like you don't now the name of the song your playing.. Felt like a idiot.

anyone have a copy of the BIG YELLOW BOOK, YE YAILLE CHERE. turn to page 175 and use it as an example. it talks about songs having different lyrics but with the same title. I was at the shop on highway 190 purchasing copies of BACK TO THE BASICS vol 1 and 2. vol 2 has no song titles because it is about the MUSIC. these songs have been passed down over the decades and some of them have been referred to by different song titles. it is as simple as that. the music is what is important. people have sheet music to learn songs on a piano. traditionally, playing the cajun accordion has been learned by ear.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!