Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1st time buyers choice: Martin D or Acadien C?

Are you intending on playing "only" Cajun music

then the C box of course

If you are intending to play either Irish or Quebec.. then D is the box of choice
however... the Martin D tuned Cajun will not be suitable

in which case the answer is neither unless you want to spend the money to retune the D box..

I wouldn't though

I'd opt for another box altogether

good luck

Jamie, I don't know the brand Acadien. If it were an Acadian and then in C I wonder why you doubt, reading your posts!!!

G

If you are considering the button box accordions. Look closely there are 2 Martin D's one is tuned cajun with tremelo (wet) the other is tuned equal temperment. Neither would be the best choice for cajun music in my opinion.
The Acadian is cajun tuned dry in C that would be the ideal choice and it turns out to be only $100 more that the wet Martin

LOOK CLOSER! Martin D or Acadien C?

One Martin is an equal tempered D, the other is a Cajun tuned C, same as the Acadian C. The other D they have for sale is a Gabbanelli Cajun King. I wouldn't recommend that one.

Re: LOOK CLOSER! Martin D or Acadien C?

Sorry, the Martin C is Cajun tuned, but with Tremolo, which I take means Cajun tuned on the wet side, producing an old-time sound more like the old Monarchs and Hohners. It would work, but the Acadian C is probably the one to get.

If you are planning on playing Cajun, with others, get the C.
If not and are going to play with fiddlers in other styles, get the D. Standard tuned fiddles is more compatible with D accordions.

fiddles in C/"rare" key of D

C is just as standard for fiddles in cajun music
fiddlers expect to tune down a whole step quite often

some have 2 fiddles

about rarity of D vs C - yes D is less common
but also, the market is smaller
i wouldn;t let that be a factor

wle

Re: fiddles in C/"rare" key of D

Thanks for all the input, friends. The choice seems pretty clearly tilted toward the C (Naturally, the one that costs more!).

Anyone need a keyboard accordion? I only have about 10 I want to sell now . . .

Thanks again, Jamey

Re: Re: fiddles in C/"rare" key of D

That is actually a very good price on the Acadian. Marc Savoy just went up on his prices.

I am wondering if the Martin C is one of his progressive tuned boxes. Funny it is described as "Cajun tuned with Tremelo".

There seems to be a good market on Ebay for PA's. I actually find more players of piano accordions here in Austin than players of button boxes. Just give good full descriptions with good photos and they should sell well.

You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper...

R!CK

I should think a fair trade for the C box would be 10 piano accordions : )

The Button Box takes trades....

If it is "Cajun" tuned it is not "progressive" (standard Italian ) tuning

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!