Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hohner HA114 Bass Spoon broke!

DIY safety pin

Re: Hohner HA114 Bass Spoon broke!

I had the exact same problem. I got a replacement spoon from a Hohner dealer, and it was a snap to replace it. A bit later, I sent the box to Charlie Ortego in Lake Charles, and among other upgrades he replaced the entire bass box with a "real" Cajun style one (reusing the reeds).

I think I still have the old spoons around somewhere if you aren't able to find them somewhere.

-David

Re: Re: Hohner HA114 Bass Spoon broke!

Hi !

The quick and dirty repair is to use a safety pin as a spring.
If you can get a bass box(the small "box" where the bass buttons are)from one of those cheap chinese boxes, you can easily replace it for the Hohner "spoon box" yourself. You need to drill new holes for the box and fill the old ones with glue to prevent air leaks, but it's an easy fix. You don't have to do anything with the reeds, just make shure you line up the holes in the frame with the right bass box compartment.

Perhaps there are someone out there that has a broken chinese box or just the bass they want to sell ? I've already moved my chinese bass box to a Hohner.

/Gunnar

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!