Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Fernest Arceneaux Accordion and More

Raynald Ouelette of Quebec and Melodie Accordeon plays an older Santa Marsala

At the Maison d'Inde

Are you sure it isn't a Tikka Masala?
-Andy

But in all seriousness, a warning:

There are some accordions made under that name today that are of very low quality. I'm not sure whether the trademark is no longer owned by an Italian company, or what, but: BUYER BEWARE.
Just felt that I needed to put the warning in there before someone rushed out an ordered one. However, like Claude, I have also seen some vintage ones on eBay (as well as some junk with the same name).
-Andy

Re: At the Maison d'Inde

Paneer or murgh?

Hurrrrumph.... now I'm hungry!

R!CK

Re: Fernest Arceneaux "done got over" yo david

I know this tune...heard it somewhere and like it alot.
Did John Delaphose cover it? I would like to learn this one..
kjones

Re: Re: Fernest Arceneaux "done got over" yo david

Hi Kirk,

Yep, John Delafose did it - a nice uptempo version. Fernest's version was more soulful, slower and a bit on the jazzy side. He had a singer on that album who could really belt it out (he later died in a bar room gunfight).

I have a really old LP of Buckwheat playing it too - it must have been one of first recordings in the late 70's. Off the top of my head, I want to say I have versions by Clifton Chenier and Boozoo - but I'd need to check that to be certain.

Hey, that's pretty much a Who's Who of old skool zydeco, isn't it? Must have been one of the standards of the day.

-David

Re: Re: Re: Fernest Arceneaux "done got over" yo david

Well..I thought I was the only person on the Planet who liked Fernest's work.....thanks for responding guys.
I have his Zydeco Blues Party CD...actually the first Zydeco CD I ever bought...bought it in New Orleans from Lousiana Music Factory.Some great songs on there...Bernadette, My Negress ( Pine Grove Blues ),Eh Mama, Last Night...lots of Blues influence and some great guitar licks from Paul " Lil Buck " Senegal.....John Hart on Sax ( although I'm not all that keen on sax in Zydeco ), Rockin' Dopsie Jr on Rubboard.

I'm actually working up The Fish Song ....getting our Piano accordion guy in the band to take the accordion part while I do the vocals.

Just need to know what the lyrics are about.....any translations would be accepted.

Darryl.

the fish song

I like the fish song too. The lyrics are tough to make out. Do you have a transcription of them? If so, I could make a stab at a translation.

-David

Re: the fish song

David,

Re : The Fish Song....like most Creole/ Cajun songs I tend to play the sound file or CD track...absorb the melody line and try to decipher the French lyrics in phonetic form..( with Boozoo it's almost impossible ! LOL )...well usually a mix of phonetic and French as I find much Creole Cajun French a LONG way from say, Parisian French.

So..in Phonetic form

Verse 1

Allon, ah pah ah sah, pooh sah share,
No vah, no vah fah yeah, pah taat,
Allon, ah pah ah Lafayette share,
Oh, ah rah mah setee moh.

Verse 2 is similar but line 3 is :
Allon, ah pah ah lah, show share

Chorus
Don Sec Koo Tay
Don Sec Koo tay
See mah kah,
Kah may fay lah hon,
Tee mah soo me mon,
Ah bah lah tee pah son,
Fe sah son tee mah,
Fe sah son tee too.

Hope you can work around my twisted phonetics.

Thanks, Darryl.

Re: Fernest Arceneaux Accordion and More

http://www.lsue.edu/acadgate/music/carceneaux.htm

Be sure to check out COREY ARCENEAUX (above) Fernest's nephew ... young guy with a lot of drive... he played Plaisance a couple a years ago and was really hot.

Fernest & the Thunders churned out some awesome 45s back in the day... a great zydeco boogaloo, and was it fernest that did a zydeco version of Horace Silver's "Song for my father?"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!