Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: What do you think of Hohnica 2353?

For $700 you can get a better than decent used Italian accordion

Hohnica is not Hohner's best effort

Jeff, Don't you have 10 piano accordions to sell?

I imagine you have one that would work well for Maz's friend.

Ooops, no it is Jamey who has the accordions....

Maybe you actually do have one, Jeff. Glenn also.

Most Hohners now made in China

So in other words, stay away from Hohnica, Amica, etc. and most others. I like the people at Hohner, and they will tell you that though they have accordions made in China, but that they are made with European parts and supervision. But the word among piano accordion players is to stay away from them, they are no better than other Chinese made.

I play a Hohner Student 72, but it's 10 years old and was made in Czechoslovakia. Whole different ball game.

Go with a good used Italian or older Hohner.

-Jamey

Don't buy Chinese!

I hate to be negative, and I've heard opinions to the contrary, but I would NEVER buy Chinese in a piano key accordion. I've been down that road and I'll *never* go again. They are very cheaply made and won't hold up, then you play hell getting them fixed. Find an Italian made or a Hohner used from a reputable dealer. You can often find them around the same price, and they are SO much better as to be almost a different instrument.

Why do I feel so strongly? EXPERIENCE! (And not because I have for sale. Although I do. and it's a good deal . . .)

What kind of playing does your friend want to do? Sitting down or standing up, onstage or off? If he wants to rock'n'roll, zydeco, get something smaller, maybe a 48-80. If he wants to play all-around/Italian/classical/Americana, get a full-sized, 120 bass.

I'm glad to give advice in this department - I've done a lot of newbie exploration, and taken a few hits in the process that maybe I can help you avoid.

-Jamey

Re: Don't buy Chinese!

i agree, no chinese. and if decide to buy a smaller one; some older hohner 48 bass ones are really great, but if you need more chords (B, F#) get an 80 bass maybe; got two old hohners for studio work, both 80 bass, Concerto 3, and an Ariette (old one too) the latter almost dry tuned. Old hohners sound the best I think. I had an old scandalli a while back which didn't sound so nice. New hohner also sound less. Old ones if not moldy and rusty are really worth a repair and restoration job in most cases. regs

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I hate to be negative, and I've heard opinions to the contrary, but I would NEVER buy Chinese in a piano key accordion. I've been down that road and I'll *never* go again. They are very cheaply made and won't hold up, then you play hell getting them fixed. Find an Italian made or a Hohner used from a reputable dealer. You can often find them around the same price, and they are SO much better as to be almost a different instrument.

Why do I feel so strongly? EXPERIENCE! (And not because I have for sale. Although I do. and it's a good deal . . .)

What kind of playing does your friend want to do? Sitting down or standing up, onstage or off? If he wants to rock'n'roll, zydeco, get something smaller, maybe a 48-80. If he wants to play all-around/Italian/classical/Americana, get a full-sized, 120 bass.

I'm glad to give advice in this department - I've done a lot of newbie exploration, and taken a few hits in the process that maybe I can help you avoid.

-Jamey

Re: Is cost important?

If money IS an issue, check out your local "Craigslist" online.

I see good quality used piano accordions on there all the time.

But you should take someone that can play one when you go look.
There is a lot of junk from people's attics as well.

Good Luck!
DP

Re: Re: Is cost important?

Thanks guys. I think my friend went for the hohner 2353 (Hohnica). This is for Chritmas, and he's a the last minute. It's a little for him to shop for a pre-own at this time.
Thanks for the advice!

Final question:

What constitutes a good Italian name?

Re: Final question:

A name associated with a depressed criminal, prone to anger, and serially unfaithful. Names like, Corleone and Soprano come to mind immediately... and then... Moltisanti.... uhh... Cifaretto... Aprile... Bonpensiero (I miss Sal)...

Wait a minute, are you talking about accordions?

R!CK

Re: Final question:

Castiglione, Baldoni, Excelsur, Beltuna

Re: Re: Final question:

Titano, Sonola, Bell, Pancordion, the list goes on and on. It really comes down to the instrument, not the name. All the Italian accordions are made in the same town in Italy, Castifildardo. Are the reeds handmade, handfinished; how's the action; how responsive are the reeds. Try it before you buy it.

Re: Re: Re: Final question:

Don't forget Recanati !!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Final question:

...Beltrami. I hear they are a notch above a Dino? I've never seen a zydeco artist using one yet. There's one with a lilac glitter finish that makes me want to cry.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Final question:

Well, not exactly lilac, but kewl nonetheless...

http://www.beltrami-fisarmoniche.it/organetti.php?id3=13

~R!

Re: Help needed to find a piano accordion for a friend!

Hello Maz

I saw this on the Chiff and Fipple Forums Forum

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=55957

not sure if its what you are looking for...... Ed

Re: Re: Help needed to find a piano accordion for a friend!

The only problem is all the Chinese knock-offs do have an Italian sounding name.
It's like for Vespa-looking scooter - a real Vespa is about $5K while a chinese scooter that looks like a Vespa is about $1K and have names like Verano, Mirano, Milano, etc.....

C'est difficile de s'y retrouver!

Friend ? ?

Friends don't don't find piano accordeons for friends : ) ! !

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!