Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Coz Fontenot benefit

Well, not many of us ever get on the radar screen...but if you ever see Coz or hear him sing, you will know who he is. He has an amazing voice, more than reminiscent of the great Roscoe Holcomb.

As far as I know, he has only been on two recordings: he made a cassette on Fred Charlie's label that is pretty hard to find now; and he sings five songs on a CD that you can only get at Bubba Frey's - "Live at Bubba Frey's #1" Unfortunately, on the Bubba's CD, his vocals got kind of mixed down and are not as prominent as they should be (but you can turn up the sound and get the picture).

He is just a great person - friendly and unassuming. He is not a professional musician, but he plays at many, many jam sessions - fiddle, accordion, and harmonica. And he sings...oh, can he sing!

I used to tell him that he should make another recording, but that was really a bit naive. Unless one has the means to pay for the cost of making a CD, you must rely on others to pay for it; and that is not an easy thing to get others to do.

Several years ago at Mardi Gras in Eunice, Coz and Wilson Savoy played downtown in Eunice. it was one of the more memorable concerts/dances I have ever seen. And a couple of years ago, he and a few "friends" played at the Liberty Theater. That too was an amazing performance.

Unfortunately, Coz has also had some health problems. He has lost a lot of weight and had to have some expensive medications, but he doesn't complain and has just persevered. I can't think of anyone who deserves a break more than Coz, but they don't seem to be coming his way. Losing his home, his car, and everything else is just a terrible tragedy for a wonderful person.

With a break and maybe a little luck, he could be a terrific presence on the radar screen. When you hear him play the harmonica, and when you hear him sing, you remember that...and if you ever meet him, you just want to hug him.

Jack Bond

I believe Coz was also a longtime staple of the Atlanta Cajun scene. The couple of times that I played for the ACDA, Coz was the cook and sat in with us. I think he and Todd Balfa played together in a band. Can't remember the name though.

Coz Fontenot and the Metro Playboys!

Coz Fontenot and the Metro Playboys!

with the great Tony Balfa on guitar
who also lived Atl for quite a few years

and multi-instumentalist virtuoso Mick Kinney
on fiddle

they used to play for Atlanta Cajun Dance
Associations dances

and there ARE recordings of every single
performance

hmmm!

[i don;t have them, they guy who ran ACDA does..]

......robert!!......

wle.

Cos gave me a CD a few years back (3 or 4 year ago). It was called Lundi Gras. It had at least 10 or 11 songs on it. I remember him saying that he recorded it in one morning. Around noon as he walked out of the studio he ran into Steve Riley who laughed and said it takes him that long to record one song. I hope to make the benefit.

coz doesn;t need it :)

so steve riley can afford all that studio time
coz doesn;t need it :)

wle

Re: coz doesn;t need it :)

That's true.

Re: Re: coz doesn;t need it :)

Coz sounds like an amazing human being... I'd love to meet him. Thanks for sharing [y'all's] experiences. Great stuff!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: coz doesn;t need it :)

when you hear him sing the first time,
you will look around to see if it;s someone else
singing..

..that high voice from that giant of a guy

now there is truly a guy who could do justice
to a D accordion

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!