Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hip Hop Zyderock - Travis Matte's upcoming CD!

Travis Matte is releasing a new CD in the next few weeks! He sent me the title track today and it's like nothing *anyone* has ever heard before! I think some the Acadiana stations are already playing the promo title track. Travis is a genius! For the anti-panty crowd, there's no references of any of [that] in this track. Think... Alt-Metal grind mixed with an East Coast hip-hop groove, along with a ballzy simple, melodic 10-row squank ... Look out alt-rock radio stations, Travis is gonna ping ya with this one!

R!CK

love it or hate it

what a guy
i love love love 'zydeco party'
i mostly hate 'booty zydeco'
[[that is the one that is mostly about panties]]
whatever the new one is, it must be interesting

i can;t find this out, is he related to
reggie matte, accordionist for jambalaya cajun band?

wle.

Re: love it or hate it

I hear ya Larry -- I've only heard one of Travis' new tracks -- certainly not for everyone, especially the trad-lads, but I assure you that no one has ever forged the path in the modern sense that Travis is doing. He's no longer a "zydeco" artist... something much more -- and all-encompassing. He may very well be the future inspiration for other bands wanting to take Hwy. 190 to Interstate status. He assured me that there are a variety of textures and themes on the disc that will appeal to practically everyone -- that's the gist I get.

Regardless of opinion many may have about "booty" tunes, Travis is a very talented guy; one who just when you think you can nail him down, he does a ninjitsu move and wollops ya a big'un! Love that about him. He's full of surprises. I know him off-line... he's a guy who can also play some beautiful, traditional tunes, too -- on the box -- not just the fiddle.

And while we all know LSU is a kickace ball club, Travis' previous release containing the visionary, Tiger Tailgate Party tune is quite... uhhhh... prophetical! It's like he knew! Ha! If there was ever a more appropriate fight song, it pales in comparison to this simply stated tune of his! I'm hoping he has a Dallas Cowboys tune on his upcoming Hip-hop Zyderock release!

Regardless, I think the Kingpins' new CD is going to generate a lot of interest. Look for it over the next couple of weeks.

R!CK

he has also dropped the 'zydeco' part of the band name

he has also dropped the 'zydeco' part of the band name
now it;s just 'the kingpins'

wle.

Re: love it or hate it

Im reggies daughter we are related to travis but far away.

Re: Hip Hop Zyderock - Travis Matte's upcoming CD!

I am a lover of the traditional way (if it exist) of playing Zydeco or Cajun. One of my daughters once take me to a concert of a German Metal-band (In Extremo) and that was really great. They play the normal electric guitars in combination with medieval instruments. I am very curious how metal-cajun or zydeco sounds !!! I'm looking forward to it.

check the old album by 'mamou' called 'ugly ways'

check the old album by 'mamou' called 'ugly ways'

or maybe it;s 'ugly days'
that is some metal cajun for sure

wle.

UGLY DAY

The name of the CD is UGLY DAY and it has my alltime favorite version of "La Danse de Mardi Gras" on it. You can hear the song by going to my active Link #1 above and the clicking on LOUISIANA and then on EUNICE MARDI GRAS 2003.

UGLY DAY was named in honor of the pig named Ugly who met his demise on the boucherie day named in his honor.

The CD UGLY DAY also has a hauntingly beautiful version of "La Valse de la Vie" on it. Jonno Frishberg MUST have had a specific lady in mind when he was singing that one. Truly beautiful to my ear....

Too Fat to Wear That!

I don't know if it on the CD mentioned, but just heard "Too Fat to Wear That!" on KBON last Thursday and LOVED it! Not zydeco and definately NOT Cajun, but in a class all by itself! And AMEN! to the gist of the lyrics!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!