Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anything Cajun in Houston Area

I was just curious to see if anyone knows of any cajun events going on here in the Houston area, such as dances, dance lessons, accordion lessons, etc. I am from Louisiana and I just moved here about 6 months ago. Its just getting too expensive to drive to LA every weekend to listen to a good cajun or zydeco band. I think I remember someone saying that there was a VFW hall somewhere here in Houston that played cajun music but I could be wrong. If anyone knows of any info or websites that I can visit, I would surely appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Re: Anything Cajun in Houston Area

The Houston Heritage Chapter of the Cajun French Music Association has a meeting and dance on the 2nd Sunday of each month at the K of C Lodge # 2917, 607 E Whitney, Houston TX 77022. Next Dance Feb. 9th, Ed Gary and the Cajun Aces and an additional dance on the 4th Sunday, Feb 23, with Rodney Miller and Cajun Born. Dances start at 7:30 PM; $ 8.00 per person. BYOB
Information person may be at 281-480-1130, at least that is the news for the newsletter number.
Chapter President, Dr. O.Edwin Miller, 832-654-4301 (cell)

Cajun Radio in Houston:
Sat 4-6:00AM, KPFT, 90.1 FM, The Lee Dibala Show
Sat 6-9:00AM, KPFT, 90.1 FM Pe-Te's Cajun Bandstand
Sun 6-10:30AM, KLVI, 560 AM Tee-Bruce's Cajun Show

Thats all I could gleen from the CFMA newsletter published in Eunice.
JB

Re: Re: Anything Cajun in Houston Area

Also forgot to mention that one of the regular contributors to this forum, and a kickass musician to boot, lives in Katy, TX. I am referring of course to the well-known Cory MaCauley. Reach Cory at evangelineaces@hotmail.com. (hope I spelled that right) He not only can tell you what it is with the Houston Cajun scene, he can also plan your financial future, as well.
JB

If you want Zydeco

Jax Barbecue fri and sat. nites. The Big Easy Social and Pleasure Club on sun. nites. Mr. A's. Club BMW. Solo Zydeco Festival (formerly Crosby Z. Fest. ) Mar. 7.8.9th. (I'll be there)

Re: If you want Zydeco

Johnny Ace knows his onions. Ditto dat. Yeah, wut he said...

More zydeco in H-Town than Cajun. Big urban area. Lil' Brian from BST (Barret Station, TS), Nooney & The Floaters from Fidelity, TX, Marcus Ardoin & The Zydeco Legendz from H-Town, J. Paul Jr. from H-Town... man the list goes on...

Check their websites...

R!CK

Re: Re: If you want Zydeco

Thanks for all the info guys...hope to meet ya'll one day...

Re: If you want Zydeco

I wanted to know if anyone in the Houston area offers accordion lessons?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!