Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Accordion terminology, help

Ok so I've figured out exactly how I want my next accordion, but I'm having trouble with description to tell the maker.

The top and bottom of the keyboards are usually painted black.... I'm going to have a black accordion, but I want the top and bottom of the fingerboard pure white.

Also, is the strip of black (it's black on most accordions) in between the flappers and buttons an inlay? What do I describe this strip as? Does it come in white?

Do builders have pure white "bar" inlays available for the bellows wood?

I'm also thinking this black accordion will have white stops and black bellows with white interior.

Can anyone else picture this accoridon? I had a dream last night that this is what it will look like.

so it'll be black, white bar on fingerboard. top and bottom of fingerboard will be white. flapper tips and the wood pieces the flappers sit in will be white. stops will be white. bellows will be black with white interior. metal buttons on both sides

Sounds good, yeah?

Re: Accordion terminology, help

The last sentence: "sounds good, yeah?"
Don't forget the reeds
Might even look better...

Who is chosen to build it for you?

Gus

Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

Junior Martin.

The one I have in E is AMAZING.

The next one will be in F, tuned 10 cents on the wet side.

I wish I could draw so I could show exactly what I'm hoping for.

Re: Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

I like the key of E. Sound nice and 'bright'.

Good luck.
Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

Jim! You indicated the key of F which indicates there will be some F'n reeds inside of the F'n thing. Sounds like an F'n wicked cool box -- and Jr. is the man when it comes to an F'n pimpin' box like that! FnA, now you've got me feenin' for another F'n F box! Thanks an F'n bunch!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

Definitely time for an F'n box!

Here I am debating what to get after I get an F'n box. Maybe a Mouton in A or G

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

Ooooooh... either one of them keys is golden! Split the difference and get an Ab. Makes guitarist go nuts.

R!CK

Guitar players don't matter much.

< tongue in cheek alert! partially, anyway >

Why be concerned what the guitar players think? They are a dime a dozen. And if they complain about being asked to play in some key other than E, it is an indication that their musicianship is seriously lacking, and it's time to spend a dime and get another player! Or, your existing guitar player can be informed about a fascinating new invention called the capo.

Seriously though, worrying about the impact on a guitar player is about the last factor I would consider when getting a box. I play in all kinds of weird keys, and have never gotten a complaint from the guitar players that I have worked with.

-David

Re: Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

Our band "The Bait house Stompers" play alot of blues and (suprise) we play alot of stuff in E. That's started me to thinkin I ought maybe to get a box in E instead of C? That way maybe I could more easily slip a few more accordian parts in than if my box was a C...or do folks play accordian keys the same way harp players do as in cross harp playing?

Tell me how cool does your E box sound?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

Yuh might consider an A box rather than an E box. Most tunes (crossharp) blues and zydeco, etc., in the key of E are done on an A box. Otherwise you'll find yourself doing mostly pushing rather than any pulling. And that won't sound too bluesy.

A boxes are fn cool!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

All I know is E is my very favorite sounding key.

Granted, you won't get any fiddlers playing along with you, and most people are afraid to sing in E or B in the Cajun scene, but regardless it is my favorite key.

Also takes a lot less air than lower keys.

Key of E

We do Sugar Bee in E on a D box in Toups style. Also, on an A box E is the main pull key. If you get an E box you will be playing E on the push which is OK but no flatted 7th to get that blues sound. When you do those minor sounding Zydeco licks(Richard's Club e.g.) the guitar chord is C#Minor on the A box. That will get your guitar player gong for sure! It's all good!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

Hi Jim,

If E is your favorite sounding key, go with an A box. You'll be able to play all the stuff want. Plus you'll be able to use all those great licks in the pull position.

Finally, as Rick said, it'll sound more bluesy, which is always a plus.

Squeeze her,

Nick

to nick

I do have an E box. I also have an A box for that matter. The reason I like the E box is because of it's high sweetness.

Someone else on this thread inquired about E!

Re: to nick

I know a lot of people buy accordions to accomodate a band or other musicians

I buy accordions based on the fact that I like the sounds of different keys

As I said, I have an E box, as well as a C, D, G, A, Bflat.

E is my favorite key for a Cajun accordion thus far. I just love the sound.

I may change my mind once I get this F box.

I think Jr. will make it to the diagram. Anyway, I emailed him to see if he would.

I've seen some really extravigant Martinas, so I don't think this will be a problem. This is only two-tone, after all

Re: Accordion terminology, help

Back to terminology!.

Jim, this is what I would do, and have done!:

First, take some digital pics of say, your "Acadisn" box.

Sideways,( both sides).

Frontwards, (both sides).

Then make a paper copy (ies) of them.

8X10.

On the copies indicate, with arrows, numbers and what ever makes a clear sense , pointing or numbers at every areas of concerns.

EX: Say you have an arrow or number for all the leather straps, simply indicate the leather colour and stiching colour , yes some people like either black or white stiching.

The type of corner joinery ( Hey, that makes sense):).

Whatever strikes your fancy.

Fool proof, no arguments from either side.

Claude.

In reality you will, visually itemize every areas where you want some personalized attention from your builder(s).

Then simply fax it to the builder, and voila!.

Hope this helps.

PS: off course you could use "Foto Shop" if you know how .

Re: Re: Accordion terminology, help

...or make some sketches. I find a fine tip felt pen on a bar napkin - enhanced by a black and tan with a Maker's Mark chaser - makes for the best design sketches.

Steve Blais

Tell me if this diagram is explanitory or confusing....

Photobucket

Made some changes, give me your honest opinion...

I like this set up for my F (10 cents wet)

Do you think it looks too much like an ice hockey jersey? heheh

Either way, I think my mind is set.

Photobucket

Re: Made some changes, give me your honest opinion...

Jim,

Great and very clear.

I do have some suggestions though:

I would indicate wich metal you want for the stops shafts( brass or stainless), also the 4 holes on the bass box sides, as you may have noticed they show the flappers inside covered with coloured felt.

And they do show.

What colored felt if any would you like?.

Also, the shoulder strap harware, if Junior is going to slap down some of these ugly D rings with the big screws holding the hardware down, insist that he affix 2 Hohner straps brackets, they will look infinitely better.

The screws wont go piercing right trough your lovely white bandings.

The D rings are used solely in the art framing business.

And finally the flappers arms: shinny smooth surface white metal like stainless or painted or with a pattern over the length of them, like hammered fashion?.

in any case a very nice job Jim.

Claude.

Re: Made some changes, give me your honest opinion...

Jim

BTW what's the box color?, didn't see any indication of it on the pic, unless I missed it.

Claude.

Re: Re: Made some changes, give me your honest opinion...

Black

The D rings don't faze me at all. They serve their purpose.

I didn't realize the rods which hold the stops came in different metals. I guess I'll bring that up.

Felt in handmade accordions is usually white, or else I would have suggested otherwise.

Re: Re: Re: Made some changes, give me your honest opinion...

Dig it! Beautiful F'n box! Can't wait to hear it!

R!CK

To Rick

Oh yeah man, as soon as I get it I'll make a recording.

There's something about high Martins I really like.

Just the same, I love lower Acadians.

I've found my preferences finally

Re: To Rick

Right on Jim! Glad to know you're "full-range" rather than "mono"!

Love your playing style, therefore I know your recording will be tops!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Made some changes, give me your honest opinion...

Jim,

Felt in handmade cajun boxes, should be whatever colour you prefer and order.

Also, I dont know if you like a white leather accents on your bass box black leather strap, like black outside with white inside ?.

Some builder have white or black stiching on black straps, and some have white inside pads on outside black leather straps.

Just a consideration though?.

What I'm trying to say, is that whatever you don't order, is what you will get, that is whatever the buider fancies.

BUT, if you want white metal coloured stops shafts and your builder doesn't have them, and you really want them, then you'll get them.

And I do know that they're available.

My 2 cents, claude.

Hope this helps.

Re: Builder Might Do What He Likes

Just a warning:

Depending on whom you choose to do the building, you may end up with whatever the builder fancies anyway.

If you're very particular about what you want, you should show your diagram to a few builders to get a sense of who is willing to accommodate you.

It's your money, bro, so do shop around.

Re: Re: Builder Might Do What He Likes

Nick- I think Jr. will accomodate.

Claude - I want white stops not white rods. Want the metal to look metal.

Re: Re: Re: Builder Might Do What He Likes

Great,

the builderwill give you brass shaft rods, wich is the norm.

I was just pointing out that there are options.

no offence meant, no offence done.

After all, if what you want is metal for the stops shafts, brass certainly fits the ticket.

That is if you don't mind having all hardware stainless steel and a brass metal accent thrown in and you obviously dont.

My fault for interfering.

My apologies.

Hey, metal is metal:).

C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Builder Might Do What He Likes

No offense taken. Believe me, if I didn't like the metal that my other handmade accordions had on them, I would have specified that in the picture. It suits me just fine what the builders use.

Re: Tell me if this diagram is explanitory or confusing....

Jim,
I had a 9 button blue accordion with that same scheme minus the white stops. I sold it to Susan Pilch. The bellow frame inlay and the keyboard strip were made of a "mother of pearl" looking material.

Re: Re: Tell me if this diagram is explanitory or confusing....

What made you part with the 9'er?

Re: Re: Re: Tell me if this diagram is explanitory or confusing....

It was right after I had gotten married and stopped touring with Balfa Toujours. I wasn't playing anymore and was going broke fast. It was the start of a five year dry spell in which I didn't own any instruments. I just worked. I sold three accordions, three basses and two guitars. Thank goodness Chris pulled me out of that slump when he started Bayou Roots.

I've been holding back...

Jim,

I've got a box almost exactly like the one you've been describing; yep, you guessed in, in the key of F... Sorry dude.

Photobucket

R!CK

Re: I've been holding back...

Hmmmm, I sure don't want, what you Texas boys have been smoking or drinking!, weird, at least I like the stops metal shafts colours on Rick box .
I wonder how Jim Irish audience will react to these colours .

Ooops, sorry Jim!!!!!.

C.

Re: Re: I've been holding back...

Don't quite care for colored metal. Two tone paint and leather is enough for me.

And as far as Irish audience.... what audience? Only Irish audience I ever had was a bunch of drunk morons at faux Irish pubs!

Don't do the live gigs anymore, although I love busking for change.

Rick you're awesome!!!!!!!

Dude, that is good ****, you know your graphic design! I will never use MS paint ever again!!!!

Check your myspace email, I must talk to you...

Re: Rick you're awesome!!!!!!!

I can't get over this, this is too cool!!!!

You took a picture of my red accordion and made it look like what I was imagining my next box to look like. Even way better than I imagined.

I'm going to keep the bass strap and thumb strap black and have only the bellows strap white leather.

How did you do that? It must have taken hours!!

I love you Rick! Not in a gay way though!

I just sent that pic off to Jr. It is self explanatory and doesn't need all those bubbles I made.

After seeing your graphic design....

when I look at that mess I made in microsoft paint, I smell cat poop in the air!!

Re: Re: Rick you're awesome!!!!!!!

Does Junior still charge extra for a black finish?

John

Re: Re: Re: Rick you're awesome!!!!!!!

Don't know, will find out this week

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ain't nuthin' but a thang!

I like to pull a surprise out of my bag once in a while. Felix The Cat still has control of my central nervous system. The photo retouch was a quick and dirty 15 minute display of the power of Adobe Photoshop. It's a tool I use constantly as a graphic designer. Now if I had a high-resolution photo, a couple of hours, and a left-handed cigarette, I could've produced something that you couldn't tell if it were the genuine article of not.

I just like to do things for an occasional conversation piece... and I certainly do it to feel the love!

God bless The Cajun Accordion Discussion Group,

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!