Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy Awards

Well, I'm not sure about the winner either. A few years ago, I attended a concert at Wolf Trap. This one guy came out barefooted, prancing around the stage, and throwing out beads to the audience. I think that he finally got around to trying to sing a few tunes. It was the winner. I don't know what you call his performance, but it wasn't Zydeco music!

Jack Bond

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy Awards

I'm certainly happy for Terrance -- his first CD, back in... 1989? is completely unique and one of my all-time discs, "Zydeco On The Bayou". I love how hard-edged and tinged with rock it is; and then the nod to reggae legends Marley and Tosh. with the venerable, "Stop That Train". That disc speaks to me as a musician, music lover, and songwriter. Terrance is also one of the absolutely nicest guys I've ever had the opportunity to meet -- genuine with an immediate connection. Great performer, too.

But to catalog his music, and then categorize it, he's something other than what is truly happening in the genre of zydeco. Sure there's zydeco there, and it's probably the best "bucket" to categorize him. But he's also an artist that was far more popular 15 years ago. So while I love his writing, creativity and voice -- what a singer! -- I'm surprised at the award. Moreover, I'm surprised at the nominations as I've written in earlier posts.

The only thing I agree on was that Geno and Pine Leaf Boys were sound choices for nominations. But it's Hollyweird we are dealing with here, not conscious music aficionados that have a clue what is happening now in the Creole genre -- Where's Chris Ardoin, Jeffery Broussard, J. Paul Jr., Rosie Ledet, and Keith Frank? On the Cajun side, where's Ray Abshire, Travis Matte, Wayne Toups, Jason Frey, Marc Savooy, and Jackie Callier? Doesn't the sale (and history) of music account for anything?

Let's just be happy that there's a Louisiana "folk" category at the Grammys. I still don't see how Cajun and zydeco can exist in the same category. It's like having a country/soul category.

Thanks for the gum ball, Popeye!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy Awards

I certainly agree with everybody that Terrance is not playing roots zydeco, or even zydeco nuveau, but rather a soul, old-style R&B, reggae blended flavor.

But I also agree with Rick: amazing vocal skills, super friendly guy and someone who brings the crowd with him all the way. He played an outdoor festival in little Hamilton, New York for folks who don't know their zydeco from a ham sandwich, and I credit the interest he stirred for maybe 50 extra people at the Creole Cowboys show at the Opera House the next month.

So...I wouldn't give him the Grammy either, but he's OK as a gateway drug and a fine musician.

2 cents is all.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy Awards

I still wonder who the judges are, if they know anything at all about La music, or if they are aware Cajun and Zydeco are different, or if you arent necessarily a Cajun/Zydeco musician just because you mention the word in a song, or because you use to know someone who used to be from La. This is the kind of stuff I was afraid of when I heard about the grammy category. I cant see any good coming from it. The best music I've ever heard was played in a living room last week to the sounds of beer tops popping, feet pounding a wood floor, and beer lubed yelling, much more rewarding than a Grammy crowd. Then again, maybe I'm just too frustrated from dealing with a new computer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy Awards

Bryan I think your new computer needs more beer!

I for one agree that Hollowwood doesn't know anything about Cajun music or culture. They believe that if you just throw a little seasoning on things you can call it cajun. Here is a great idea for a good Cajun CD.

THE FOUR TENORS SING CAJUN.

Hollowwood would love it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy Awards

Cajun Four Tenors

Cajun Four Tenors? Would that be Ray Abshire, Courtney Granger, Coz Fontenot, and Drew Simon?

Re: Cajun Four Tenors

Mais oublie pas Adam Hebert.

Re: Re: Cajun Four Tenors

I was just picking live people! I'd have a different 4 dead tenors!

Re: Re: Re: Cajun Four Tenors

Heck, I thought Adam was still alive.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cajun Four Tenors

My goof! Well, he's not active anymore, is what I should have said.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cajun Four Tenors

Y'all talkin' vocals? Ray does know his onions for sure! But does it really get any better than Ivy Dugas? Don't think so, me.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cajun Four Tenors

Right you are about Ivy Dugas! Now how about Jesse Lege? He can sing high.

Re: Cajun Four Tenors

I say

Horace Trahan
Courtney Granger
Ray Abshire
Hadley Castille

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!