Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Balfa Camp - format?

Will instrument instruction be the same format at Balfa Camp as in the past -- basically, one specific session on instrument in the morning, with a more generalized one in the afternoon? Am I correct in believing that Augusta has instrument-specific class sessions in the a.m., and the p.m.?

Re: Balfa Camp - format?

Without seeing the final agenda, my guess is that the Balfa camp instruction schedule will be the same as previous years...just as you describe. One thing to remember is that there are opportunities to schedule one-on-one lessons as well. So far, the instructor list includes Jeffery Broussard, Preston Frank, Jonno Frishberg, Dirk Powell and Steve Riley...all terrific players who are very approachable. My guess is that Goldman Thibodeaux, Ray Abshire and many other players will be there for at least part of one day. Last year, I learned a lot in 30 minutes of jamming with Mr. Goldman.

In addition, there are a lot of off-schedule opportunities to jam, talk with others, etc. about techniques, tunes, instruments, etc. Some of the best conversations and interactions I have had at Balfa camp have been with many of the other campers. There are some wickedly-skilled players that show up at camp.

Rob

Just to answer the second part of your question, at Augusta there are morning and afternoon sessions of musical instruction classes.

Jack Bond

Re: Re: Balfa Camp - format?

Last year there was the opportunity to jump morning classes on a day-to-day basis. They let you seek your own level. I would imagine it is the same this year.

I hope to make it for a couple of days.

Janet

Augusta format is about 4 hours of class sessions per day split between morning and afternoon, with a culture session between lunch and afternoon class. You can also take a mini-class in the early evening. Individual instruction with any teacher is available and encouraged. There's usually a guest master artist whose teaching role is to provide one-on-one instruction. There are concerts, nightly dances and many jams, including scheduled slow and intermediate jams. The last couple of years have featured a zydeco jam with drums/bass/guitar. Wed night, there's an open mic during a zydeco gig at the campus tavern. A list of teachers and more information at link #3.

thanks

thanks, y'all;
sounds like what i'm wanting Russ. Wish Balfa would lean a bit more that way due to proximity and timing, but I can appreciate the different philosophical approaches of the 2 camps. I've been to Balfa and it was the best vacation i've ever had, but I'm looking for more of a working (instructional) vacation, and Augusta sounds like the place for those like me who don't score high on the self-teaching or self-learning card.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!