Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Balfa Camp - format?

Just to answer the second part of your question, at Augusta there are morning and afternoon sessions of musical instruction classes.

Jack Bond

Re: Re: Balfa Camp - format?

Last year there was the opportunity to jump morning classes on a day-to-day basis. They let you seek your own level. I would imagine it is the same this year.

I hope to make it for a couple of days.

Janet

Re: Balfa Camp - format?

Augusta format is about 4 hours of class sessions per day split between morning and afternoon, with a culture session between lunch and afternoon class. You can also take a mini-class in the early evening. Individual instruction with any teacher is available and encouraged. There's usually a guest master artist whose teaching role is to provide one-on-one instruction. There are concerts, nightly dances and many jams, including scheduled slow and intermediate jams. The last couple of years have featured a zydeco jam with drums/bass/guitar. Wed night, there's an open mic during a zydeco gig at the campus tavern. A list of teachers and more information at link #3.

thanks

thanks, y'all;
sounds like what i'm wanting Russ. Wish Balfa would lean a bit more that way due to proximity and timing, but I can appreciate the different philosophical approaches of the 2 camps. I've been to Balfa and it was the best vacation i've ever had, but I'm looking for more of a working (instructional) vacation, and Augusta sounds like the place for those like me who don't score high on the self-teaching or self-learning card.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!