Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Goin' To Cajun Country Tomorrow -- Suggestions?

Hey Y'all,

I'll be going to Cajun country tomorrow for a wedding (actually, for a fellow Brave, Henry Hample). I have my own ideas of where the food is best, but I'm open to suggestions.

I've never been to Cafe des Amis. I was curious, but I just checked the menu online and the prices are a little ridiculous. Any suggestions for po-boys, boudin etc? I really like Don's Seafood Mart and Bourque's, but are there any other contenders?

Believe it or not, I've never been to Fred's Lounge before. Lookin' forward to having a beer for breakfast.

Oh, and I'll be bringin' the box too. I think LBR are playing the reception.

Here's to gettin' soft at the Blue Moon!

Nick B.

Re: Goin' To Cajun Country Tomorrow -- Suggestions?

Nick B in da house! Whuh?! After playing down there on your tour, yuh still didn't hit pay dirt!? Ha!

A'ight den...

If you want a good value and you wanna stuff yourself on some mamma-style buffet eats, check out:
Poche's in Cecilia
Lagneaux's in Judice (off Ridge Rd.)

If you wanna sit, slurp, and suck, check out:
Paul's Pirogue in Carencro
Ray's Diner in Opelousas
The Palace Cafe in Opelousas

I had some excellent crawfish last weekend in Lake Chuck, so you know you'll be smack dab in the middle of the season, with lots of great places to get 'em; but my favorite crawfish stop is:
Foti's Fruit Stand in Breaux Bridge.

I think they're the best on the entire planet. It's not hard to find good food in the motherland. There's plenty of billboards to convince you here and there, but I like to avoid the common places as much as possible.

Fred's is totally recommended to get your day off on the right foot, for sure. Sure it's a high on the touristo scale, but it is a blast. No substitute musicians there, so it's doubtful you'll be playing -- just drinking and dancing. Make sure Tante Sue gives you a hit of Hot **** from the bottle she has strapped to her hip. It's good luck, bruh!

Enjoy yerself and watch your speed. Cops love tourists.

C'est fun, Brutha Nick!

R!CK

Hey Nick...I am from around Lafayette and have many suggestions based on where you are and on what date you're there! I will send you an e-mail to your address with my contact information.
Charlie B.

Re: Re: Goin' To Cajun Country Tomorrow -- Suggestions?

Nick -- please email us CB's suggestions.

Thanks,

R!CK

One of my favorites is the Pig Stand in Ville PLatte...
right next to Floyds Music Shop...great BBQ and smoked
meats!!!

Old Tyme Grocery Store on St Mary for poboys, Nick.

Re: Re: Goin' To Cajun Country Tomorrow -- Suggestions?

You made it back yet? Sure enjoyed the visit.

Re: Re: Re: Goin' To Cajun Country Tomorrow -- Suggestions?

Hi Bryan
yes, it was great to meet you and Dowell. I was down in Houma the last pm and actually met Roy.....

Lots of great suggestions...One more is Glenda's Creole Kitchen just down the road from Pochet's near Breaux Bridge. She makes great authentic Creole food!

Jack Bond

A couple of good places for boudin on your way to Mamou.
Best Stop in Scott
Raymond's Grocery in Eunice (formerly Johnson's Grocery)

Link 1 is a bit outdated in that it says Johnson's is closed. It's been reopened for a while now at Raymond's on East Maple Street. Coming north to Eunice on HWY 13 you take a right at the first stop sign as you approach Eunice, then it's a short way on Maple on the left.

Link 2 is for Chris' Po-boys in Lafayette. The pork roast poboy is really good. See Link 3, post 27 for my report from last June.

Dwight's on Johnston Street in Lafayette north of the Acadiana Mall is popular for boiled crawfish daily and for barbecue on Sunday.

That's in addition to the already excellent suggestions everyone else already made.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!