Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Dog and one arm Music - and the pain of it all

Got the hound dog blues, time to break out the harps (the only one handed instruments I have Ha).

The oldest hound (Gomer - what J. Lege' named Boudin), yesterday lost using his hind legs. Siezure I suspect. Going to the vet in about an hour the best way I can (one armed). Linda is on her way home to help me load him into the truck.

I gotta torn rotator cuff and another tear in that crazy supraspinatous thing behind the left shoulder. Cant climb poles, as that arm is pretty well froze up (it's a screamer), so I am off work.
I go to the surgeon come the 20th. Sure hope that old dog pulls through this thing and that left shoulder of mine does likewise. If so, part of the rehab will include accordion (I hope), while we both mend (musical medicine).

That old long ear hound is my best music critic, wish us luck.

Nonc D

Re: Old Dog and one arm Music - and the pain of it all

Music is powerful medicine indeed. My best wishes to both of you.

P.S. One of my cats has taken to the accordion and will come sit near me as I play, sometimes on my feet. Remarkable what music does for all of us animals?

How bout a one armed old dog making fiddle music. Link #2. Puts a few things in perspective.

Re: Re: Old Dog and one arm Music - and the pain of it all

Man, that's ambition! Not to mention extremely creative!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Old Dog and one arm Music - and the pain of it all

Whew nelly... that vid inspires me to over haul the vacume cleaner with an in/out regulator to replace the push n' pull and connect that to some sorta stomp box to change direction and pick it up at the turn. Perhaps connect the thumb strap and bass box strap to the inside of my thighs. Make music and tone up, all in one.

Thanks guys that's a good one.

Update on the hound:
Buldged disc pinched the nerve in his hind quarters. He got a shot of cortisone and some prednesone pills. got him isolated and he... the other hound (dillon-graton) is glad to have him back. Other than that he's healthy as a horse.... err a dog.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Dog and one arm Music - and the pain of it all

nonc d

as a confirmed dog lover, i am sending your stinky hound healing energy. they get under your skin in a way that nuthin else can. we love our wives and our chillun, but our dogs are something to be cherished.

and gorry, i hope your physical woes get better soon. wish i could've come out to help you with the dog. hopefully the next party we throw in your neighborhood will happen when you and the mrs are in town.

best to you, podnah!

roger

Nonc,
Know what you mean about shoulder pain. I have been ailing with my left shoulder since August. Been to orthopedic doc twice with 2 shots of cortisone and about 16 visits to physical therapist. Fortunately, no tears or rotator cuff problem. I am on the mend feeling much better but not out of the woods.
Good luck to you my friend.
Kirk Menier

Best of luck with it all Nonc D. Regardless of the ailments you and them are having, it's always fun to read your colorful posts. You're a big inspiration to me and I appreciate your time to connect with us all. Heal fast and well to you and yours...

R!CK

Rick man, I appreciate it.
By the way, my Ft. Worth Tx Kids are lighting out for Calif. come Sat. Morning (driving). Grand kids are out'a school and ready to travel. When asked what I need; "bring brisket and shinner bocks and some of those hell fire Rat Toes (jalapaina pepper things) from Razzo's." Gas? Well it's around $4.39 on this side of the planet. They may need to take out a second, just to get here!

Interestingly: That 9 year old grand daughter will be searching out and snagging up my squeeze boxes to show pa pa what she's been learning.. I started her out when she was around 4 yrs old on one'a those hero accordions (to see if she'd take to it), then put her on one'a those chineese things. When she's ready, she'll get a hand made to be sure. Now that's medicine! For a fact!

(all) got kids? grand kids? put an instrument in their life, ya wont regret it!

Nonc D

Oh man... don't check in for a few days and I find that you and Mr. Kirk are in rough shape!

You both keep well.

peace

I prescibe 8oz. got gratons, 8oz. steaming boudin, and 1 six pack beer. That should make anyone feel better.

Hey Bryan;

Your prescription sounds great; but my problem is I only have a pound of gratons, a pound of boudin and a case of beer... whatamigonnadooooo??

peace

Send me directions, you need help in person.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Old Dog and one arm Music - and the pain of it all

North till you smell it; east till you step in it!

peace,
griff

Shortly after starting in on learning to play Cajun accordion, I came down with a condition known as "Frozen Shoulder." I was in excruiating pain! OMG! It was just TERRIBLE. Needless to say, I had to quit playing. I went to the chiropractor, physical therapist (3 days a week!), MD, and orthopedist for almost a YEAR before it FINALLY went away. I was to the point where the doctors were discussing having me admitted to the hospital to break the adhesions (it apparently is common to accidentally break the patient's arm when doing this!), because if I was unable to get movement back SOON, I might lose most of the use of that arm permanently. It occurred in my OFF arm (left) ~ I'm right handed ~ so at least THAT was a little bit of a consolation at the time.

I honestly don't know if the condition was directly connected to pulling and squeezing the accordion, but after all the pain and doctor's visits, I have pretty much given up on ever playing again ~ that's just ME though....

tendinitis & other allied pains

Hi Joanie, as fiddle player mainly I got rid of a years and years long lasting tendinitis in my left hand and later shoulder problems by tai-chi of the "sportive" and not as much the sort of sect & "religeous" type. Just the basic stretch exercises ... and if you suffer from arthritis (i know a lady who used to be a, alas former, very good Irish melodeon player) there's a research done in i think Sweden saying alcohol can be a help there - nout

PS alcoholproof?

PS here's the proof that it's healthy to keep boozing away

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2008/06/05/Alcohol_reduces_rheumatoid_arthritis_risk/UPI-28691212684698/

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Joanie, as fiddle player mainly I got rid of a years and years long lasting tendinitis in my left hand and later shoulder problems by tai-chi of the "sportive" and not as much the sort of sect & "religeous" type. Just the basic stretch exercises ... and if you suffer from arthritis (i know a lady who used to be a, alas former, very good Irish melodeon player) there's a research done in i think Sweden saying alcohol can be a help there - nout

Re: PS alcoholproof?

I agree, Nout. I love booze and what it dooze.

But my only problem is -- drinking makes it hard to find my front door. And then I hurt my back once a month when I clear a path.

Photobucket

~R!CK

Re: Re: PS alcoholproof?

aye rick, and i guess this photographic shootout proves alright that you might have sworn to Mr Al-Might-y upstairs 's delight, you will only travel light in the twilight and beyond from now on eh? ... nout

Re: Re: Re: PS alcoholproof?

Aye, Nout, I savvy... Me holds are burstin' with swag. That bit of shine matters a great bit to me! I'm just glad we've both arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: PS alcoholproof?

aye

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!