Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Old Dog and one arm Music - and the pain of it all

Shortly after starting in on learning to play Cajun accordion, I came down with a condition known as "Frozen Shoulder." I was in excruiating pain! OMG! It was just TERRIBLE. Needless to say, I had to quit playing. I went to the chiropractor, physical therapist (3 days a week!), MD, and orthopedist for almost a YEAR before it FINALLY went away. I was to the point where the doctors were discussing having me admitted to the hospital to break the adhesions (it apparently is common to accidentally break the patient's arm when doing this!), because if I was unable to get movement back SOON, I might lose most of the use of that arm permanently. It occurred in my OFF arm (left) ~ I'm right handed ~ so at least THAT was a little bit of a consolation at the time.

I honestly don't know if the condition was directly connected to pulling and squeezing the accordion, but after all the pain and doctor's visits, I have pretty much given up on ever playing again ~ that's just ME though....

tendinitis & other allied pains

Hi Joanie, as fiddle player mainly I got rid of a years and years long lasting tendinitis in my left hand and later shoulder problems by tai-chi of the "sportive" and not as much the sort of sect & "religeous" type. Just the basic stretch exercises ... and if you suffer from arthritis (i know a lady who used to be a, alas former, very good Irish melodeon player) there's a research done in i think Sweden saying alcohol can be a help there - nout

PS alcoholproof?

PS here's the proof that it's healthy to keep boozing away

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2008/06/05/Alcohol_reduces_rheumatoid_arthritis_risk/UPI-28691212684698/

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Joanie, as fiddle player mainly I got rid of a years and years long lasting tendinitis in my left hand and later shoulder problems by tai-chi of the "sportive" and not as much the sort of sect & "religeous" type. Just the basic stretch exercises ... and if you suffer from arthritis (i know a lady who used to be a, alas former, very good Irish melodeon player) there's a research done in i think Sweden saying alcohol can be a help there - nout

Re: PS alcoholproof?

I agree, Nout. I love booze and what it dooze.

But my only problem is -- drinking makes it hard to find my front door. And then I hurt my back once a month when I clear a path.

Photobucket

~R!CK

Re: Re: PS alcoholproof?

aye rick, and i guess this photographic shootout proves alright that you might have sworn to Mr Al-Might-y upstairs 's delight, you will only travel light in the twilight and beyond from now on eh? ... nout

Re: Re: Re: PS alcoholproof?

Aye, Nout, I savvy... Me holds are burstin' with swag. That bit of shine matters a great bit to me! I'm just glad we've both arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: PS alcoholproof?

aye

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!