Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Les Flammes D'Enfer Question

Thanks for the help all. While I never meant to imply that the performance piece and the teaching piece should be compared note for note (or frame for frame ) I think I see what you mean about implying the melody. I've only been playing about 7 or 8 months on the cajun accordion so I hope that 40 years from now I can be half as good as Johnny Sonnier.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Les Flammes D'Enfer Question

In rebuttal, both of these clips are very useful and I wish I had had the learning tool of youtube when I was 8 months into accordion immersion. What a great tool! So we all expect you, Ehren, to learn to play 10 times faster than anyone else outside the Pelican State.

For clarity's sake, "vamping" is not something Bella Lugosi does when his stomach is growling; rather, it means to "solo" -or- "take a ride." In clip two, frame 7,210, Johnny fires up the chanking that has nothing to do with the A or B or turnaround. For the lack of a better term, it's a segment during a song by which the accordion player bangs the gong and lets the air outta their shoes. Since most Cajun tunes feature instrumentation, it's hard to determine what is written and what is interpreted. Toups is good at vamping.

40 years, I have to admit, was a number I arbitrarily pulled out of my cheeks. There's a high probability that Johnny has been playing much longer. I don't have a great deal of Johnny's history cached in my memory banks, but he's a laudable veteran of Cajun music, so he probably started playing while propped on a relative's knee, like so many of the great pioneers of the genre.

Clip one is not Sean Vidrine. I know Sean personally and not only is he thin (now) and can pull some serious boxage. Regardless, the unknown artist in clip one doesn't suck. He plays a good, basic version of Flammes D'Enfer.

Keep the faith, and enjoy the weekend. I'm going to warm up the grill with my own Flammes D'Enfer and sop a few pops with foam on top in celebration of the independence of this country I love.

R!CK

I've been playing only about two years now. It is so tempting to attempt to play like the greats. It helps to push your technique etc, but you can get lost in all the "vamping" and florishes of grace notes and triplets and forget to really feel the song, especially when you are trying to teach yourself. I never played "Jai Passe Devant Ta Port" as well as when I kept it slow and simple and had a good guitarist setting a solid tempo. You can also get a metronome or use an electronic keyboard. It helps as tempo is very important. There is also a difference between stage perfomance that have lots of flash and fancy licks and sitting on the back porch playing with your friends. Try and find a guitarist to play with. If you have his dvd's, notice how Dirk Powell's playing is subtly improved when his wife Christine is playing.

Let's add to Rick's list of Do's:

1. If you don't already have it, order the Steve Riley Cajun Accordion beginner's DVD produced by Wilson Savoy and Almena Pictures. Just Google the Almena site. It is there. It is worth the $$$.
Les Flammes d'Enfer is the 2nd piece on the video.
Steve teaches you how to play the song with buttons 5, 6, & 7, then shows you augmentation.

2. Again, if you don't have it, order Ms. Ann Allen Savoy's book, Cajun Music, A Reflection of a People.
You can get it through Floyds Record Shop Online.
The Balfa version French words and phonetics for LFd'E are on page 265, as well as the Mon Canon original version that Neal P referred to.

3. Go to Craig's List for your area and under 'Musicians' list an add for anybody interested in getting together to play Cajun Music, be it fiddlers, guitar pickers, singers, or other accordion players. You may be surprized at the people who respond, even though some may be a little spaced-out.

4. Find a place in the house where you can isolate your rehearsal's. Keeps the peace that way, if you have a significant other that may regard your playing as less than a gratifying experience.
My 2 sou, Blah,Blah.
JB

The lyrics I use fro Les Flammes d'enfer

Here they are:

Les Flammes d’Enfer

‘O ‘tite tante, priez pour moi
Sauvez mon âme, des flammes d’enfer
Sauvez mon âme, Priez pour moi
Priez pour moi ‘tite tante, sauvez mon âme

‘O ‘tite tante, priez pour moi
J’suis con****é pour les flammes d’enfer
Priez pour moi, sauvez mon âme
Sauvez mon âme des flammes d’enfer

Re: Les Flammes D'Enfer Question

IN addition to ANN SAVOY'S BOOK, if you dont have it, get YE' YAILLE, CHERE! also know as THE BIG YELLOW BOOK. has hundred of cajun songs and lyrics by RAYMOND E. FRANCOIS

Re: Les Flammes D'Enfer Question

Here's a good chunk of how Austin Pitre did the song. If you haven't heard this, in my opinion you haven't heard the song at all at all. It's the basis of what everybody plays for this song.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!