Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Burning up

I know its not directly related, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. The Zydepunks are a band based out of New Orleans but they pull from a lot of different influences. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but if someone listens to their version of Madeline and wonders what the original version sounds like I'm all for it.

John

Re: Re: Burning up

I pick-up on what Big is throwin' down. It's truism.

You gotta take [these] talent-search shows with a grain of salt. The whole reason people tune into them is to hear what the panel of turds are going to say to cut-down the performer. This stuff is as staged as wrestling.

You know what the television is good for? Checking out the weather. That's about it. Oh, it makes a good monitor for DVDs, too.

As far as the accordion goes; the piano accordion gets the majority of all jokes. Probably because most non-musicians can't understand why anyone would want to strap a perfectly good piano keyboard on their chest and power it with air. Admittedly, it's an idea worthy of a million jokes. But we accordion mavens obviously know things the general public do not. I'll tell you this; everyone who sees a Cajun accordion for the first time is not only amazed, but there's never been a joke cracked about one that I have heard. Most people love them. They don't conjur up the Welkian-polka-shock-schtick that piano accordions do.

Do I love piano accordions? Of course I do!

Here in Texas, we are exposed to so much Tejano music that the sighting of a triple-row box in print or on TV is as common as a chair. I've never heard a joke about them either. Most Texas/Tejano 3-row players are hailed as "national" heroes.

R!CK

Polka Land, Cajun Country, Texas--it's funny how the places that have their own unique cultures are open to the accordion--and to things that are different from the normal American (i.e. "cool") routine.

But when you venture outside of these areas, you find out there's really NO culture. Here in fly-over country, I hear a lot about how there USED to be a strong German influence here or a strong Czech influence there. But it's all gone.

Now, in the place of these dead-and-gone identities, it seems like "cool" has become a vapid anti-culture all its own. You hurry up and imitate everything from the West Coast or the East Coast, but you really never have any idea WHY. It's just what you do to keep yourself from realizing that you are just another bland, non-descript guy who's not any different from the other 20 bland, non-descript guys up and down the street from you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning up

Down here in Austin, almost without exception, when I say I play Cajun accordion the responses are positive, smiles come, they ask if I play in a band, etc. It must be the large Tejano and German/Czech population. Everyone who sees a Cajun box played for the first time is always amazed at the sound that comes out of the little accordion.

Hey, Dude.. 'ju make fun of my tree row here on the West Side of SA, I get my cuzzin' Chuy to kick the 'chit out of you, Bro.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning up

EXACTLY... that's why there's zero 3-row jokes!!! Good'n JB! Nice use of "chit". I gotta remember that one!

~R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning up

Last time I ate at a Restaurant in San Antonio was way out west on Commerce St at a place across from Our Lady of the Lake named "Los 7 Mares". Hardly an anglo in the place but me and my wife, fabulous Mexican Seafood (yeah, they eat fish too). Best of all were the three musical groups wandering the place playing for tips. Each group consisted of a stand-up bass, a guitar and (of course) a three row accordion. We really enjoyed ourselves that night.

Capt. E.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Burning up

You know, it's funny, but it's easy as all get-out to go check out some really cool bands at some local mariscos restaurants here in Dallas. Some excellent 3-row box playing, for sure. I've seen plenty of them, but it is -- so much on the "push", so it seems. I like a lot of the cumbia stuff some of these combos do, but it just seems to me wanting more. More chips, more salsa, more margaritas and Carte Blancas.

Que buenas ondas,

~R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!