Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hohner Corona III N Extreme

Just got my new Hohner Corona III N Extreme 5 switchers, well what's my humble verdict?: It's way lighter then my 9 switch GLIIA Bafetti, ways lighter, very comfortable indeed.
Black with red bellows and yellow and orange decals About the size of a Corona III .
Smaller buttons then a Gabb or similar size III rows.
I imediately gave Roy Carrier's " I'm the one you need" a really rough going :).
Very nice action.
Im going to take it to a buddy of mine, a Zydeco guy for his opinion.
Great Hohner wide shoulder straps, nothing puny like the old IIIR's leather.
All hardware's heavy duty.
The sound: Very Hohner like.
Overall a very nice box.
I don't know how the Zydeco heavyweights will take to it, me I love it.
So thanks to Glenn Alessi and others for their contibutions to the making of it.
My two cents

C.

Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

MML reed combo? I like the IIIR sound and was wondering about the III extreme. Let us know what the Zydeco player thinks. I do miss Zydeco Joe's playing, especially the Hohner.

Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

Hey, Craig
Yes, same reed set up as the IIIR.
GCF tuning is what I got, but I think a different sound as the Musette tuning is somewhat not as wet as the old IIIR, wich suits me fine as I'm not that fond of the shrillness of it, also I do realize that Zydeco accordion sound is quite wet, especially in PA's playing.
The box weights about 12 lbs.
The 5 Switches are pushed laterally as opposed to downwards as for the IIIR and makes it for an easy operation, I dealt with Accordion-O-Rama from NY and got the works like a soft and a hard aluminum gig bag
and professional shoulder straps ,all marked Hohner.the bass strap is padded, and the box overall has all the amenities of one of it's big brothers.
A keeper fer shure, Claude..

Re: Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

Une photo s'il vous plait!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

Maz.

Regarde le site #1 que j'ais fournit: l'xtreme V, c'est la meme que la IIIN ,il y a une serie de photos que tu peux agrandir ainsi tu verras l'accordeon sous plusieurs angles differents.

Salut mon vieux.

Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

Hi Claude,

Congratulations! Sounds like a good accordion.

Do you have any idea what the difference is between the Corona III N Extreme and the Corona III V Extreme? The brief descriptions I have seen are identical.

Would it be impolite to inquire as to the cost? I am guessing that it is much less than the Italian accordions are these days.

Thanks,
David

Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

David,

I got what I thought was a pretty good deal only to find out that I could have got the same price with a Canadian accordion dealer, actually less because I had to pay extra like duty etc! oh well.
Oh I forgot, another canadian dealer had the same box for 1000 ca dollars more, Hmmmmm!, anyways I'm sure that Barb at Accordion-O'Rama would give you a pretty good deal :).
The III N has MML tuning N stands for Norteno music style .
The III V has MML tuning with double tremolo, V stands for Vallenato music style.

Glenn .A advised me to get the III N for Zydeco music playing.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

OOOPS, sorry David, the III V has MMM tuning, not MML .

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

OK, that is an important difference.

I agree with Glenn that LMM is better than MMM for zydeco.

-David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

Glad you like that IIIN Claude !..

You can consider it a much improved IIIR.. the volume and action is even on all rows since the registers have been moved.. the switches are on the keyboard.. like you see on the Castagnari.

the sound is PURE HOHNER.. so keep that in mind. This does not sound like an Italian triple row.. it sounds like a louder, easier to play IIIR.. with the characteristic Hohner sound.. ( in MML it is a very nice Zydeco sound )..

The buttons are slightly lower and the action is much faster than the old IIIR's. They were tried out by many Tex Mex players at the Conjunto Festival in San Antonio in May and they all give it a thumbs up. ( Those players are very very descrete about box details ).

I have one ordered myself ! can't wait.

GLENN

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hohner Corona III N Extreme

I know this is an old thread, but I must pitch-in re the Hohner Corona lllN Extreme, since I have one also. I'm glad to hear the positive comments for the use of this dandy little box for Zydeco & I give you all "Thumbs Up" on your comments. I have very nice custom built Excelsior Arena IV R (Sol) I had made for me in Italy, complete with Mics, Custom Sequins, back pad, etc. years back for both Tex-Mex & Zydeco. It has a great sound for both & the store owner in OR who ordered it for me said some T-M Gabbie lovers preferred the sound of this one when he gave them the "Blindfolded" test, tricking them into thinking the two Accordeons were both G's. It sounds beautiful for Zydeco when you have all 4 reeds going (LMMM) & plenty wet, but I never got used to the heaviness of the dang thing.
Therefore, in shopping around for a box for both T-M & Zy in the very highly desired Fa (F-Bb-Eb), I tried a lll N Extreme out in a music store (a GCF "Sol" one) & discovered in addition to a beautiful 2-reed T-M sound, it also got a very decent LMM sound, not real wet, but for me quite suitable for Zydeco & well worth it cause it is so much lighter. True, it doesn't get that real wet LMMM Gabbenelli/Excelsior, etc sound, but quite close when those particular Accordeons are on the LMM Switch. Therefore, I searched last year & found one online in Fa - Just perfect ! For the sake of the lightness, the small sacrifice was well worth it & boy, does this baby ever SING ! And for those of you who like the 2-reed Hohner Corona ll Zydeco Accordeon sound of say Queen Ida, etc. you're really in for a treat, because this particular register on this box has the sweetest sound ever. Just sayin' ...."Now, go on down 'n Git Ya One !"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!