Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: C Falcon w/ Salpa reeds for sale

Agreed!

Re: Re: Re: Re: C Falcon w/ Salpa reeds for sale

Falcons are amongst the lightest of currently made accordions.. I've owned 3 and they have all been lighter than other brands..

Go for it.. you'll be gettin Old School Falcon.. rare and economical. Resale is at about $1,500.

Glenn

Re: C Falcon w/ Salpa reeds for sale

Yeah ...it is starting to look really good to me and I know that Jamey is a Swell guy and trustworthy!

I like the metal buttons too...

old school...will it still have a modern cajun sound?

well...I guess cajun boxes have been made the same for ages though!

Re: Re: C Falcon w/ Salpa reeds for sale

Believe me, it WILL have the Cajun sound!

Every box seems to have it's own unique character. Part of what differentiates one player from another.

Junior Hebert with the Maurice Playboys has a couple of the older Falcons, a C and a D. I think he said he paid about $800.00 each for them back about 15 years ago, so this one from Jamey is a real buy. If I didn't already have a LA made C & D I would jump on it.
JB

Oh I know I need to buy this wonderful Falcon...but atlas the Acadian style bug has hit me and I fear that nothing else will do ...except something similiar to an acadian...funny how I got so picky so quick huh? But what I will buy will be with me a long long long time....

Similar!!!?? A Falcon is every bit the equal of an Acadian. Ask Marc Savoy.

Capt.

Capt

:-)

You have got to remember that I am a female...you know those curvy species that are picky, irrational, uncompromising....idealistic... even sadistic when it comes to gettin exactly what we want....

Its a woman thing!

Falcon's have wider button spacing

The Falcon may not be right for a woman. All the Falcon's I have seem have a wider button spacing 13/16"(.8125") instead of the usual 3/4"(.750"). May not be so good for a woman's hands. Careful measurement can determine the spacing. It would be interesting to see if this older box is the same spacing as the newer ones.

Re: Falcon's have wider button spacing

true...key spacing and distance of the keys from the keyboard edge and also the size of the bass box can vary. My LeCapitaine is made for my larger hands with a thicker bass box and keys a bit farther from the keyboard edge.

If you want an Acadian, you will have to buy a used box or wait quite a while for delivery of a new order. Marc is also notorious for not wanting to sell a hand-made to a beginner. I suppose he can be charmed by the female sex.

In spite of, or because of the above, I don't think you could go wrong with the vintage, almost unplayed Falcon. You will always be able to sell it for more than you paid.

I've owned 3 but have never noticed any difference in button spacing..and admit I am hypersensitive on this issue on 3 row accordions.... I have very small hands and it made no difference.. I actually find the Bon Cajuns heavier and spongier on the keyboard.. but that is just me.

I do find metal buttons easier to mess with .. dont' know about the resta ya's.

G.

Re: Re: Falcon's have wider button spacing

Take one of your Falcon's and put it side by side with any other box you will see the difference. You won't notice any difference when playing.

They do indeed have a wider spacing, I know this from personal experience. Randy bases his accordions on a Hohner pattern for the keyboard, the difference is a .25" over the whole entire keyboard, but believe me, any experienced player will feel the difference. For some people the Hohner pattern works great, I still prefer the Sterling pattern, which is what Randy used for my last accordion I got from him. Speaking of keyboards and buttons, this is one of the many reasons I swear by Randy's work. He has the most stable action of any maker, meaning the buttons don't wobble around when you press them. Also the buttons do not hit the wood under them, he knows how to set it up just right.

hmmm...I actually like the idea of wider spaced buttons...less chance of hitting the wrong one when they are wider spaced (in my oponion)
This is my thinking because of those tightly spaced bass buttons on the Piano accordion...

Question ...if my memory serves me right...everything that I have read so far has said that when buying a button box that newer is always better ..that they have been building better and better boxes in very recent years....

Does that rule not apply to the handmade boxes?

please someone elaborate?

NO... that does not apply to hand-made Cajun boxes. The quality of a La made box is entirely dependant on the skill of the builder. Most parts are hand-made...the valves, the reed-blocks, the keys (the flappers are hand carved and the wires are formed and bent by hand. These are NOT factory made instruments. Each is unique to some degree, but built upon the model preferred by Cajun musicians for the last 60 plus years. A Cajun accordion builder is an artisan in the true meaning of the word. You have to love making them. It is no way to get rich. Over 100 hours of labor goes into making each one.
Many people prefer the sound of vintage boxes and Falcon boxes are among the best. Some say that the best boxes Marc Savoy ever made were constructed back in the 1980's. Some of that has to do with the reeds available at the time. The Salpa reeds in the Falcon are no longer available and were never common. Some think they are the best ever made.

ALL La boxes will have keys spaced further apart than a Piano accordion. You will have no problems hitting the wrong key due to them being close together.

Jamey. What color inside the bellows?

It's all red (I didn't know the answer to that until I was prompted by your question to look - but then, I lived in our old house for over a year before I knew what color it was).

Jamey the unobservant

Yeah...I have learned Sooo much from all the Braves here in such a really short time....

This is for sure the place to hang out!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!