Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mamou Two Step

In addition to the CD by Nonc Allie that Gerard Dole recorded and released on his own DOM label (DOM CD 1090), Allie Young made two cassettes. One is titled "Two Steppin' with Nonc Allie." There is no label name for this cassette. On this cassette, Joe "Cabri" Menier plays guitar and also does some of the vocals.I believe Cabri Menier also did some vocals on some of Austin Pitre's recordings. The second cassette is titled
"Dansez Avec Nonc Allie and the Basile Cajun Band." Shirley Ray Bergeron sings several songs on this cassette. This cassette is on the La Louisianne label (LLT-C-1009). Vincent Fontenot plays string bass on both Cassettes. If you ever happen to be in Eunice, stop by the Lafitte Center an talk with Vincent. He is quite a nice guy.

Nonc Allie also appears on a VHS (Don't know whetgher it has ever been put on DVD) with Harry Lafleur. I'm not sure of the title, but it is about hand fishing (Barry Ancelet is one of the ones who is doing the hand fishing). It is also very good.

I don't know whether any of these recordings is available anywhere, but I would not be surprised if some or all of them are available at the Lafitte Center in Eunice. They used to have some cassettes there. I do not know the telephone number, but there may be a website for the Lafitte Center in Eunice that gives a phone number.

Thanks for asking about Nonc Allie. When I went back an looked at the cassettes, I saw that Cabri Menier played and sang on the recording. He's a fine vocalist... another of a long list of great Cajun recordings that are in danger of being lost.

Jack Bond

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mamou Two Step

That's not Barry doing the handfishing, it's Pat Mire and his dad. Pat did the documentary and a few others, link #2 has the ordering info.

That Two Steppin With Nonc Allie has my favorite version of La Valse De Vacher, not sure who is singing it. I had never heard of the 3rd cassette.

Allie Young on Ray Landry's Swallow CD

There are some Allie Young recordings that are not released under his name. Allie Young plays some on Ray Landry's Swallow CD. He also plays on the Field Recorders' Collective 2007 cd Dewey Balfa with Friends and Family. And he plays on Swallow's lp Balfa Brothers -- The New York Concerts.

Cajun Fiddle Old and New: Instruction

Allie Young also plays on Reno Waltz, Madeleine, 99 Years Waltz, Cajun from Church Point, and Allons a Lafayette/Jeune Gens de la Campagne on this fine Folkways album that you can buy via download. Songs from Dewey Balfa's live radio show on KEUN in the late 70s from CC's Lounge in Basile. Ray Abshire also plays on the last 3 songs from this collection: J'aimerais te Pardonner (Help Me Make it Through the Night), Jolie Blonde, and Johnny Peut Pas Danser.

Re: Cajun Fiddle Old and New: Instruction

He also plays on that live concert with the Balfas in NYC. I got the cd at Cracker Barrel.

Re: Re: Cajun Fiddle Old and New: Instruction

Merci beaucoup, all, for the detailed info...

Nicole

other versions of Mamou Two-Step

Jo-el Sonnier has a version on his album "Cajun Pride", Rounder Records CD 6069.

Another version I have is from "Le Trio Cadien" - Rounder Records cd 6049, with Eddie LeJeune, D. L. Menard, and Ken Smith. More old-style than Sonnier's.

Both are quite good.

Re: other versions of Mamou Two-Step

I forgot, the Trio Cadien version is fiddle only.
Jo-el's is Accordion all the way with lots of octaves and embellishments.

Re: other versions of Mamou Two-Step

Thanks capt'n! I'm going to check out that Jo-El version too.

Re: Mamou Two Step - To: Peer

Hello Peer!

The version of Mamou Two Step that I've been
playing has quite a bit of octaves & jumps, etc.

At the risk of appearing patronizing, would it
be of any interest to you if I were to post
a video of my version?

--Big

Re: Re: Mamou Two Step - To: Peer

Patronizing? are you kidding?
I'd love to hear/see/eventually learn from your version. That tune is a killer! It's worth having a closer look. I already have some 4 versions now. One more wouldn't do any harm.

Thanks!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!