Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why Festival(s) Acadien(s)?

Well it initially started out solely as a Tribute to Cajun and Creole Music but I believe Barry Ancelet thought it would be a better idea to get two other separate festivals involved that both focused on the culture of the Cajuns, the Louisiana Native Crafts Festival and the Bayou Food Festival. Thus, Festivals Acadiens came to be.

John

Re: Re: Why Festival(s) Acadien(s)?

Well, I addressed the name change in another forum I think it is interesting that Barry thought he needed to add Creole to Festival Acadien. Acadiana encompasses the residence of the area. It is not Festival de les Cajan. So why add Creole?

Le Piquant

Parce qu'il y a deux sortes: Les Acadiens du Sud, et les Acadiens du Nord!
Festival des Acadiens?

I hope people will understand the term "Créole" in just the sense it is intended.

What was the intention?

Does it refer to black people in southwest Louisiana whose ancestors spoke a variety of French that came from Haiti and other Caribbean islands or does it refer to the white French speaking people in Louisiana who did not come from Nova Scotia, like the original French colonists and Napoleon's abandoned soldiers left behind in the new world?

Just this week I have heard the term Créole to mean New Orleans cuisine and also the language spoken in South Carolina by the Gullah people.

"Acadiens" may not be the right term for the festivals, but the term "Créoles" takes some explaining, IMHO.

Re: Re: Why Festival(s) Acadien(s)?

Yup, another one of those confusing Louisiana labels that will never be solved.

Re: Re: Re: Why Festival(s) Acadien(s)?

Festivals Acadiens et Creoles is made of up several individual festivals sponsored by different local organizations: the music festival, the food festival, the arts & crafts festival (and there may have been one more affiliated in the past...). Hope that helps.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Festival(s) Acadien(s)?

Hi Andrea,

You made it! That's great. Welcome!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!