Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My True Love

This is not about my personal matters, but about a song I know from the Balfa Brothers. I use a version from Kermit Venables to learn it. Yesterday I also heard a similar song from Joe Falcon.
I'm trying to play this song on the accordion and I find it a tricky one. There are some moments that I have some dificulties with the timing when I try to play the bass-side. Most of the time I can play the bass side without any trouble. Is the song really tricky or is it only a matter of practice?

Re: My True Love

Yes on both counts

The timing *is* tricky and probably requires
practice

--Big

Re: Re: My True Love

If you think playing this number is tricky,
try singing it!

Really have to scrunch the words into the melody.

And then try to make it from Eunice
to Port Arthur on a loaf of bread and a can of sardines.
All for the sake of love.

It would take me a burger and a beer, or two, at least.

JB

Re: Re: Re: My True Love

The singing is for our guitar player and he told me last monday that it's also difficult to sing the song.
We gonna give it a try.

Re: My True Love

I love that song! It is one of my all time favorites.

Yes, it is tricky. There's no doubt about that. There is one part that is hard to get your head around, and even when you do, it will be extremely difficult for the band (if you have one) to get it in sync. Every recording I have of it, they handle it differently, and you can sort of read between the lines that they struggled with it in some way.

But, the song is worth the effort.

-David

Re: Re: My True Love

While the Balfa brothers and Joe Falcon version are the truest sounding recordings of this song, I wouldn't suggest learning the turn around from them. Get a hold of either Steve Riley or Kevin Naquin's version and listen to the way they do the turn-a-round. They're very straightforward and everyone changes chords at the same time.

John

Re: Re: Re: My True Love

or geno delafose
i think it;s on 'la chanson perdue'

it;s pretty straight, the accordion is pretty pure cajun

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!