Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Junior Martin

Junior is raising his prices to around 25000 on his accordions.He is raising them because marc and randy and their high prices

Re: Junior Martin

He will sell fewer accordions that way, which I am sure he knows, and may be done that way on purpose.

I think that some of the builders, as they are approaching retirement age, are raising their prices knowing that they will sell fewer units, but make the same amount of money. Same money for less work - sounds like a good plan!

It leaves a spot for the young guys coming up to compete with them on price.

-David

Re: Re: Junior Martin

I think there are probably several reasons for a price hike. Perhaps a builder on here could explain it.

Re: Re: Re: Junior Martin

Have you checked the value of the dollar against the Euro? When the dollar is worth less in Europe you need more of them to buy things over there. Also wood is selling at a premium as well. However, it does leave the doors open for other builders to enter the market as noted.
Le Piqunt

Re: Re: Re: Re: Junior Martin

Danny Dyson told me that at $ 1.300.00 per unit, he makes about $ 8.00 per hour. If a new guy wants to get into the business, he better have his investment in tools and shop space already paid off. Or, he needs to apprentice himself to a bonafide good builder for at least 2 years or more, in order to get it right without too many PO'ed customers, tryin' to learn the process from scratch. Plus he probably needs a day-job as well, or his wife better have a good job. If you could build even 3 of these each month at 2 grand a pop, you'd still be hurtin', plus no life except standin' in front of a saw or a sander. I guess the situation has to be right.
JB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Junior Martin

Getting into accordion building for the money would kinda be like getting into fishing or hunting to save money on meat. The methods that would have to be used to allow someone to make much money would take the fun out of it, and doing it for fun, which I'm guessing is usually the case, takes the chance of making much money mostly out, at least the kind of money someone could make a living on. Of course there's always the possibility of a government bailout.

the amount of wood

The quantity of wood used to build accordions is not going to significantly affect the prices.
The effect of the exchange rate of the dollar vs. the Euro has certainly affected the cost of building an accordion: bellows + reeds. I think that we're talking about a $100-$150 increase, total.

Whoa .. you mean $2,500?

I think you mean $2,500 not $25,000?

If their worth $25k/pop, my investments have
finally paid off & I'm ready to retire

--Big Nick

Re: Whoa .. you mean $2,500?

You're a lucky man; got that many Martins then? Other wise you gotta move to some inflationary and hence cheap country like Zimbabwe - nout

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I think you mean $2,500 not $25,000?

If their worth $25k/pop, my investments have
finally paid off & I'm ready to retire

--Big Nick

Junior built and tuned my D accordion and it sounds fantastic. I just sent him my C accordion, built by another Louisiana craftsman and he tuned it as well or better than the D. That was a wish come true, because I didn't know if the result on the D was a fluke or something I could count on. Junior will tune an accordion whether or not he built it.

Just my personal thoughts....

The laws of supply and demand illustrate themselves pretty well, here. Anytime a craftsman is in business for himself, the startup time requires putting in long hours and selling a large number of units at below market prices to get your name out. Once you are established, you can raise your unit price to a market price and level off at a comfortable production rate.

In this micro-economy of accordion building, I think it is fair to say that Marc and Randy are significant driving forces in the rising prices of accordions. Marc has his eyes on retirement, and Randy is very busy with the family business. Their accordions are in such demand that they can cut production to a minimum and raise prices while still making a living. When these prices get out, the builders who feel that they have comparable products, raise their prices, as well.

In instrument building, the only way to make a living is to build multiple units as opposed to one at a time. After all these years, Junior still produces 20 to 25 accordions per month. As long as he can keep up the pace, he is the one who benefits most from these price adjustments. The original goal was to increase profit margins, reduce production and maintain a comfortable living. In Junior's case, the margin increases, production holds steady and profits soar.

What is the actual material cost for one Cajun accordion? Not tools, or shop setup, or labor, or any of that stuff, just the actual cost for materials, with top-notch reeds, etc., for one box?

Cost of materials

$500 The reed set and bellows are the most expensive parts. The cost could be higher or lower by maybe $200 depending on how the parts are purchased and extras.

Re: Cost of materials

I take lessons from Joel Martin Jr's grandson at the shop junior uses to build the accordions. He is one hard working man and there is never a slow time for him in either building new accordions or fixing ones that need repair. I say more power to the man when your good and have a demand for the product let the buyer pay. Hell wouldnt we all do the same this is not a free world to live in so when you want the best and his are the best in my opinion you pay and it makes ours all the more valuable.

Euro vs. Dollar

I know that a while back, the dollar was in sad shape compared to the euro, but my understanding is that this situation has reversed itself due to the economic meltdown.

-David

Re: Euro vs. Dollar

Currently 1 Euro = 1.39900 U.S. dollars. Better than it was about April or May, but not as good as it was about 1 month ago....

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!