Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
la valse de soldat

Ray Landry does a killer version of this song on his new cd.......harry trahan sings the first verse. does anyone know the origin of this song? any versions?

roger w

Re: la valse de soldat

Link 2. Charlie Broussard and the Sulphur Playboys originated it in the early 1950s. Very pretty! One of my favorites about returning from the war. Also, Shorty LeBlanc did it. That's on a Swallow lp with Sidney Brown on one side, Shorty on the other.

Re: Re: la valse de soldat

thanks neal, it is reminiscent of basile waltz......thanks for this version. as usual, you rock!

roger

Re: Re: Re: la valse de soldat

Not too many other Cajun tunes I can think of about the experience of war. Just Nathan Abshire's Valse Militaire comes to mind. Any more modern songs about this?

Blair

Re: Re: Re: Re: la valse de soldat

Hello Blair. Bobby Michot recorded a "Blues d'Iraq" in 2004 (CD "L'Autre Bord de l'Eau", Savoy-Michot Cajun Band).

Christian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: la valse de soldat

Hi Christian,

Leave it to Bobby :-)

(He was one of my big early singing inspirations. Wrote about him in my book, in fact.)

I just had an e-mail exchange with him. He's back in Louisiana for awhile now, with his family (normally lives in France.)

I have that CD, I think, but had forgotten that one.

Blair

Re: Re: Re: Re: la valse de soldat

Another tune, but not a modern song : "Le soldat fatigué (The tired soldier)" by John Bertrand.

Marc.

Re: la valse de soldat

Is this the same as the Heritage Waltz? Harry Trahan plays it on his cd...sounds similar.

Robert Jardell's "Where were you last Wednesday"

Hmm, we play Heritage Waltz regularly and when I listened it didn't sound the same to me. I'll have to listen again!

Blair

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!