Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beausoleil on No Depression

Hey y'all,

Nodepression.com has a review of Beausoleil's new record as well as a video.

I hate to be negative, but I just can't get into the "Congo Square"-type Cajun. I know it's part of their signature sound, but it has an unbelievable ability to get under my skin and drive me nuts.

I would kill to hear these guys turn out a raw, traditional album. They have a such a killer groove, but the instrumentation gets a little hippie for my tastes. Also, I think it'd be cool to hear a different voice.

Maybe I should pick up one of Jimmy Breaux's CD's?

Just venting...

Nick B

Re: Beausoleil on No Depression

I had the opportunity to see Beausoleil in Idaho a few years ago and they played traditional Cajun music and brought the house down. As a matter of fact I have a video of them playing at the University of Idaho in Moscow-pronounced Mosco-and and they played traditional for 90% of it. I have the cd Jimmy made last year at the Festival Acadien-not the festival Acadien et Creole-and I think it's a good cd for a live show.
Le Piquant

Re: Re: Beausoleil on No Depression

I've not heard Beausoleil's latest yet, but I concur with ya, Nick, that I'm not sure how to categorize their sound.

To me, I put them squarely in the "World Beat" genre. They've become the 3Musaphas3 of Cajun music. I'm not sure what their angle is or what exactly is they are attempting to promote, other than being a bit of something for everyone. I rather feel their pain on that a bit, too, because of my band's approach to spreading music to the non-Louisiana-savvy Dallas audience.

Beausoleil is no longer, and hasn't been in ages, a band you'll find playing the local SLA club circuit like the bands that are 'keeping it real'. They don't feel the need to make a couple of hundred bucks per member or connect with a younger crowd. Instead, you find them practically everywhere but home -- so therefore, they know they can cop the Tex-Mex, polka, calypso, 2nd-line, rhumba, and God knows what else into their recordings because people outside of Louisiana (and at JazzFest) will snarf that stuff up in a heartbeat.

Mind you, there's no denying their talents -- every single one of the members are not only top-notch, but way underrated, with the exception of Michael, who has truly put his mark as a pioneer over the years. And with Jimmy Breaux on the roster, they could absolutely kick some real authentic sound, but too bad he's often underneath a lot of layers of production.

I think they jumped the shark when the released, "Cajun Conja"... and that was a long while back. I have seen them live in the past few years, and they are truly great (off the record). They are a very good band who can afford to 'do as they wish' because of the brand they've created for themselves.

R!CK!

Cool to hear a different voice?

You must be out your gourd!

But I agree about the "conga-square" type of stuff, I'm not fond of it neither...

Re: Re: Beausoleil on No Depression

"...the Tex-Mex, polka, calypso, 2nd-line, rhumba"

That's hillarious.

Yeah, I LOVE his fiddle playing, but not the voice. There's absolutely no way I'm the only one.

Re: Re: Re: Beausoleil on No Depression

Nick! Did you ever hear a recording by MDoucet set up as a band named, Cajun Brew? A project band, I guess... Listen to the tune "Woman or Man" and his vox will make ya liver quiver...

R!CK!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beausoleil on No Depression

Is that a cover of the Richard Thompson song?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beausoleil on No Depression

Oooh yeaaah... it is... you're right! ~R!CK~

Re: Re: Re: Beausoleil on No Depression

Yeah, I LOVE his fiddle playing, but not the voice. There's absolutely no way I'm the only one.

Hah it's funny that you say this because I'm the other way around. I LOVE his vocals but not so much his fiddle playing. He is an unbelievable fiddler, don't get me wrong, but I prefer the likes of Cedric Watson on the fiddle.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beausoleil on No Depression

Hey Nick,

You aren't alone the "voice thing".

Sonebody mentioned the Jimmy Breaux & Friends live CD. If it is the one recorded a few yars ago at Festivals Acadien, then the real treat on that CD is Jamie Bearb - Absolutely great fiddling and vocals. You can also catch him on Kristi Guillory's CD and I think on Jay Cormier and Cajun Country CD from 10 or so years ago.
I think he is probably one of the best and also one of the least publicized.

David

Get all of Jimmy Breaux's CDs as quick as you can.

Do it, you won't be sorry.

-David

Re: To Davids Sousa and #3

You're absolutely right about Jamey Bearb. He's one of my favorite male vocalists, maybe my mostest favorite, along with Courtney Granger, Randy Vidrine, and Wayne Toups. He kicks butt on the fiddle, and I hear he's an excellent accordionist, too. Plus he spells his name the same as me, so he's obviously a person of refined sensibilities.

On the Jimmy Breaux CD's: I couldn't agree more. But I need his first one! It's so out of print, Jimmy doesn't even have any. If you could make me a copy, I'll put you on my prayer list.

Re: Re: To Davids Sousa and #3

Do you know where I can hear his vocals?

I've gotta say my favorite vocalists are probably Michael Doucet, Cedric Watson, Dewey Balfa, Drew Simon, and then for females - Anna Laura Edmiston

Re: Re: Re: To Davids Sousa and #3

Justin,

Yuor favorite vocalists are good choices are good. Not to take anything from them, but have you ever heard Vorance Barzas, Coz Fontenot, Rpbert Bertrand, Jesse Lege, Lawrence Ardoin, Robert LeBlanc, and Carl Fontenot?

Some of them may be hard to find, but they are well worth the search.

Jack Bond

Re: Re: Re: Re: To Davids Sousa and #3

Has nobody noticed that Jamey Bearb totally drops the ball on the lyrics of I think every song he sings on Jimmy's album. HIs tone is out of this world, but we tried to listen to it in the van on tour and we just couldn't get past the fact that he was just making up sounds that sounded like words but weren't anything that made any sense. A little of this I can understand, but every song? His father had that same tone and actually sang real words. I love Jamey's playing and the tone of his voice, but come on man how hard is it to learn the language?

I've heard Jesse Legé, and have heard of Coz Fontenot, but never listened to any of the others.

Re: Re: To Davids Sousa and #3

David if your talking about Un T'Peu Cajun I believe they have some at Vermillionville. I have all his CD's and I'll ask him about making a copy. Next time I am in Lafayette I'll check for you.
Le Piquant

I agree I have burned out on people doing the music as if the language and the words are not important. It is! The accordion has done a lot to keep the language alive don't let it be the instrument that kills it.
Le Piquant

Jamey's vocals:

Enjoy!
WF

Hey Le Piquant,

I was at Vermillionville over Xmas and didn't see any, but I've been caught looking right at something I'm looking for and not seeing it many times, especially by my wife! She, on the other hand, can go straight to obscure items she hasn't seen in years.

If you do see them somewhere, please let me know, and I'll see if I can get a friend to pick one up for me.

Thanks, Jamey Hall

Me, I like 'em, yeah.

peace

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!