Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question for the fiddlers out there

hi maz

pirastro makes a number of different types of strings, some of them steel, some of them a synthetic string made to mimic cat gut. i have been using d'addario helicore strings for years, i find they hold up to gigging and a lot of playing. also, they are steel and give off a lot of volume. many people using thomastik dominants, they are a synthetic string with great sound. i find that they don't last long enough for my usage. when i went from playing guitar (6 dollars a set) to fiddle (30 dollars a set) it was shocking. buy a good set of strings and you'll be glad you did!

roger

Maz:

I think that if you did a poll of fiddlers, the two most popular strings would be Prim and D'Addario Helicore.

Dwight and I spent about 4 hours on Saturday with John Jordan, a violin luthier in Concord, CA. I asked him what brand of strings he sees the most fiddlers using, and he said that it is still Prim.

I have been using Prim medium gauge for about 15 years. I like them a lot and see no reason to switch. They are made in Sweden and come in a package with green writing. The current price is about $26 for a set online from Ifshin violins.

Over the last 5 years or so, lots of fiddlers have been using the D'Addario Helicores. They are about $30 for a set. I have read comments on other discussion boards that the medium gauge Helicores are anemic and that the heavy gauge are preferred.

Both of these strings are steelcore. Plenty of fiddlers also use Thomastik Dominant brand, which are synthetic core. They are good strings for lots of different styles. Plenty of classical players use them, too.

The name that you heard was "Pirastro". That is a manufacturer that puts out a variety of different strings. My newest fiddle had Pirastro Violino strings on it when I bought it. They were OK.

If you go on Ifshin's web site, there is a page where they talk about characteristics of different strings: http://www.ifshinviolins.com/features_guide.html.

Good luck!

Re: Re: Question for the fiddlers out there

I've been using Prims for some time now. Seem to last a good while, don't go dead too quick, and hold tuning well. I've got a couple harsh sounding fiddles with Dominants on them. The perlon core seems to help mellow it out.
Steve

I tend to use Thomastik Dominant for the A, D, and G strings, but I use a Pirastro Wondertone for the E string. Helicore strings also work very well, you'll just have to find what works best for your instrument. I'm not a very big fan of steel core strings, they never gave me that really earthy sound which I feel is essential to Cajun music.

Re: Re: Question for the fiddlers out there

See link 2 & 3s: these have been my favorite over the years, last about 5 to 10 years even. Get a chrome wound e if you can as with link #3.

PS I wouldn't go for any other than steel: far directer response if you want to play fast. Keep the rosin build up as low as possible and use the red Cello softer & stickier stuff. Pirastro Steel is also OK at times.
But i don't like Prim, cheaply made, sound that way, and they rust too easily, with a sound pretty harsh.
It's important with steel to use the right strength, with a thin flexible violin top you might want light gauge, medium in most cases will do, or heavy maybe when you string up a C-fiddle for Cajun. - Nout

Re: Re: Re: Question for the fiddlers out there

Thanks all. I decided to go with the D'addario Helicore. I appreciated the input.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!