Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Grammy nominations for Cajun & Zydeco tonight?

Quite eloquent! I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for saying it so well.

Jack Bond

Hey, Jude...Check out becoming a member of the Grammy's on their website. It lists the criteria and process,etc. Like the CFMA awards, the Grammy's are pretty much a popularity contest with winners being "voted" for by the fellow members of the assocaiaton. I don't think we as the listening public have any say so in it. I may be wrong and please anyone out there correct me..(how bout you Rick)..you probably know more about this than I.

Charlie B.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy nominations for Cajun & Zydeco tonight?

Hi Charlie,
I looked at the qualifications a while back, and it didn't seem that I qualified. Maybe one day...

but truthfully, I'd rather sit around someone's living room listening to an okay accordion player who's happy and friendly and feeling the music instead of trying to decide which band is better than which.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy nominations for Cajun & Zydeco tonight?

Amen to that, brother. I've said as much to my friends, Charlie included: I'd rather hear one of my novice friends in the front seat of the car (or in my living room) than the best player in the world on the stereo - and I've got a pretty good stereo!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grammy nominations for Cajun & Zydeco tonight?

This isn't a contest to see which band is better, or least that is the stated idea. The Grammy is an award for excellence in the field of recording. It's supposed to go to the band who did the most to advance the art of recording in their genre which would mean that no matter which way you sliced it and if you where being truly honest with yourself, then Feufollet wins hands down. No one has ever made that album before and it is an embodiment of what this award is for. Unfortunately this award is actually for excellence in the art of recording and Terrence Semien and Beausolieu (and it really don't care how you spell it). The only way to combat this sort of thing is to vote. Vote early and vote often because the people who are speaking for you are poorly qualified at best and since Cynthia Simiwhateverthehellhernameis is your voice on the board of trustees, so we won't be done with her of her influence until she dies or retires (at whch time she will get and award for "all she's done for us" BULL!!!!!) Don't misunderstand, the Doucets have done a lot for this music, but this is not something you just give them to say thanks. That's what the Lifetime achievement is for. Don't feel too bad though everyone in every sort of organization has this problem, but we've got to be proactive. And before you get too exicted, Beausolieu is putting out a studio album this year so unless the stones start recording cajun music this year, Mike is going to have two in a row.

Re: Re: Grammy nominations for Cajun & Zydeco tonight?

Was any of the cujun portion shown on tv. I didnt watch but my wife did and said she did not see any of the announcement on live tv. A lot of rap crapppp though

A little bit of playing time would have been nice, but I bet a celebrity announcer would have butchered the nominations with a script like this:

"Here are the nominees in the category honoring "zuh DAY co" or "cah YOON" heritage!"

No, they got that right at least. I was very proud.

Re: Grammy nominations for Cajun & Zydeco tonight?

Yeah you right! Leave it to Jude to say it best.

Re: Re: Grammy nominations for Cajun & Zydeco tonight?

IMHO - I really think it's all a bunch of B**LS**T! Commercialization just like the mainstream. At least it's real music though!

Well if it is a feather in the nominees, or winners cap good for them. As far as I am concerned I could give a **** about anything Hollow Wood. No, I didn't misspell that. I would buy a single product because of some jack ass in California. If they do to Cajun music what they did to country that would be a crime. However, I the musicians down here are probably as impressed with that as they are with who wins the awards at the CFMA every year.
Le Piquant

who was it that won it a few years back .. an relatively unheard of lady of debatable talent.. then Terence S. with a kind of caribo zydeco hybrid.. now Beau with an obscure recording..I love that band.. but haven't they been there and done that . . . like the Chieftans winning a Grammy for Irish folk..

Any ( all ) of the others were as or more deserving.. time to pass the torch... if anything this gives more credibility to the other contenders..and discredits the Grammies..

They just don't get it..

I couldn't agree with you more, Le Piquant. More often than not, the likes of Kenny Rogers, Ronnie Milsap, Alabama, or Lee Greenwood would get the nod over George Jones, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson or Asleep at the Wheel.

Here's a good article about it: http://music-charts-awards.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_grammys_51_years_of_bad_artists_and_awards

It's with regard to pop music, but it's about the same underlying thing.

minor point

Not a fan of the Hollywood mentality at all, but it was the Grand Old Opry that changed country, pretty much banning fiddles and banjos to 'modern up. their image. I predict some time down the road, you'll see nominations with no fiddles, no accordions. But in the meantime, I'm glad to see some people get recognition.
-Steve

Re: minor point

I don't know about the GOO, but it was definitely Nashville, and I heard Chet Atkins had a lot to do with it as a record producer.

Hollywood definitely patted'em on the head for it. Alabama, Kenny Rogers, Lee Greenwood, and Ronnie Milsap was where is where it started going downhill for me, especially Alabama.

It could have been worse...

...at least the blue fiddle lady didn't make it onto the short list this year!

Re: It could have been worse...

Who the hell is the blue fiddle lady I keep seeing that on here but call me not into fiddle I have no idea who she is will someone lay the name on me Thanks

Re: Re: It could have been worse...

Lisa Haley, a nominee from the 2008 Cajun category. Was sort of like Gene Vincent getting nominated for best heavy metal rap award.
-Steve

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!