Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fiddle question, strings: steel or synthetic or . . .?

What size fiddle does she play? How long has she been playing? How old is she? Does the fiddle already have fine tuners on the tail piece?

John

My first suggestion would be Super-Sensitives if she is just starting out.

If she's been playing for a little while or you just want to go with something that gives a little bit better sound, I would go with D'Addario Helicores or Preludes. Those should be cheaper than a set of Dominants and tend to last longer.

Which ever string you go with, to keep the string from potentially breaking from fine tuner usage, apply a small amount of graphite (a pencil works great) to the string groove on the bridge and at the nut.

John

Re: Fiddle question, strings: steel or synthetic or . . .?

Here is the Ifshin Violins guide to strings:

http://www.ifshinviolins.com/features_guide.html

Also, do a search on this forum. There were a couple of threads re strings not that long ago.

I would stay away from Super Sensitive, at least the Red Label. I tried them on my first fiddle years ago, and they were terrible.

If you're talking about Cajun music, get steel strings. Prim (medium gauge) and D'Addario Helicore (heavy) are good. Prims are brighter, Helicores darker.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!