Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Info appreciated for Gabenelli Cajun Accordion for begginer

Thanks Michael. I appreciate your feedback. Good to know that Gabb King Cajun works for you. Gene

Okay. I think one could surmise, after reading all the opinions in this thread that; any box less than a handmade or pricey Euro box used for a similar purpose -- would be a compromise to some extent -- Whether that means tweaks, possible quality issues, premature wear and breakage, or lack of resale value. So to be completely happy without question, a handmade box is the ticket. This should be the default answer when this recurring question pops up on this board.

Good luck, Gene!

R!CK

Rick:
Your points are well taken. Based on all the feedback up to this point the concensus appears to be that one cannot beat a custom LA box (new or used). Although a new or well maintained Hohner HA114 (German production) is also a good contender. Looks like the Italian made Gabbenelli placed third.

I'll be keeping my eyes open as of know for one of each but more than likely will go with a German Hohner HA114 as a first box. Unless I stumble accross an opportunity for a LA box (resonably priced)I may also purchase it now and hold on to it. Since I recently retired (disabled combat army vet), I do have the time, but not too much of the $$$$!

Merci,
Gene

Gene -- Thank you VERY much for your military service! I am very grateful for my freedom, thanks to you. [hats off]

R!CK

Rick,

Your welcome. I appreciate the kind words. As a FYI I just purchased a second hand Hohner HA 114 (made in Germany). Looking forward getting started once I receive it. Thanks, Gene

p.s. Please continue to remember and support all our troops currently in harms way!

Congrats on the HA 114

Thanks Bohemian. I am excited about obtaining a HA 114. Regards, Gene

Gene,

I'm sure that during your military US time you've met some of your Canadian military cousins whom have by all accounts bought praise and admiration by your own troup.
They also need to be remembered!.

Claude.

Claude;

Absolutely! Not only do I have praise and respect for my Canadian cousins but also the Aussies,Brits, Korean "ROKS" and all the other coalitions that were with us. This also now applies to all the present day troops who are aligned against the war on terror. Regards, Gene

p.s. Cant's wait to squeeze the Hohner!

Gene after a few months of squeezing that Horny and if you still like playing, purchase a real box a Martin and you will be in the fast lane.

I will guarantee that more good music has been made over the years on Hohners than so called "hand made" accordions

I appreciate the loyalty to brands such as Martin and Savoy but they are no more real than anything else

Real is Hohner, with mitres instead of time and cost cutting unsightly weak butt joints

Professional Irish one row players ( of extremely high skill level) such as Johnny Connolly still play Hohners. And if you ever get the chance to watch Denis Pepin of Quebec... guarantee he will blow your doors off with a lowly HA113 3 stopper...

The reason most folks who own boutique boxes brag them up is because they must to justify the expenditure,
No Hohner player will ever need to do that.

Play away on whatever blows your bellows.

BTW I have a picture of Nathan Abshire playing a Hohner. And lets see who is it that is an ex Pine leaf guy that plays old Hohner 2 rows ?
And Flaco and Flaco's father, Santiago, who started that whole tradition...Hohner.

Here is something I have had bookmarked and Andy linked on abnother box talk...

Another cheap lowly Hohner.. ( albeit a 2 row)
yes yes one must have a "handmade" box in order to play well...no doubt about it...
when this guy gets good maybe he'll move up to a boutique box.. meanwhile.. suffer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyJmddhQwiE

Ha, that Dominican guy can barely play the accordion, that's why he hasn't "upgraded" his Hohner yet!

I've watched that video several times now. Can barely see his fingers move, the video rate wasn't fast enough to capture the movements!
-Andy

Or anyone of the other high quality handmade boxes.

Randy,

I will give the Hohner a try and if all goes well in a few months I will explore other options. Hope to be able to send an updated thread in a few months on my progress or lack of progress. Thanks, Gene

Barbara might have a pledge soaked Mr Acadian for sale but I would leave that alone and look for that special Martin

I PLEDGE to never buy an accordeon, hand made or not, that does not have mitres.

I will learn to play on what I have and not worry about the "peer" pressure from those who believe that elitism creates excellence.

I will not accept substandard workmanship from those who others worship.

I will have fun and revel in knowing that world class musicians create music far beyond my skill level with the same equipment..

All Hail Hohner ! !

I think I'll go on a hunt for another one.
If they are good enough for Claude, they are good enough for me.

Played a 3 row Gabb yesterday, man is that an over rated accordeon.. and the price.. whoa nellie...

Gene

Contact me at this adress and I'll send you a couple CD's with some Hohner 1 row playing

jefe46 at earthlink dot net

Hey Boo Hey Man,

OK, What the hell have I done now? .

I should know before the end of next month whether I can get 2 , yes 2 HA-114
no less in D, yes in D.
I'll let you know, as I wont need 2, get my drift .
Life is wonderfull, ain't!.

KRAZY KANUK.

Hi Bohemian;

You are no doubt a fan of the Hohner (Cajun) accordion. I apreciate the CD offer and will email you. Thanks,Gene

How expinseve are the acordians you shall be useing for this music any ways ? I have a nehbor that has a little one to give to me and wonder if its any count ?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!