Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: In the Pines

The version of In the Pines by Chris Miller is quite good. The earliest recorded version of the song that I have heard was recorded by Dock Walsh in 1926. In the booklet that accompanies the CD that has Dock Walsh's recording, is the following:

In the Pines ia a quintessential Southern folk song, with countless variations and combinations of motifs. A comprehensive study by Judith McCullough concludes that In the Pines and The Longest Train began as separate songs during the Civil War era, and merged toward the end of the century. Dock Walsh, of Wilkes County, North Carolina, incorporates a third recurring theme, the grisly death of a girl in a train accident, beheaded by the engine's driver wheel.

Jack Bond

on a steve riley cd 'dans les pins'

it;s also on a steve riley cd
'dans les pins'
i think they do it in F

wle

Re: on a steve riley cd 'dans les pins'

This one that I heard had an old original bluegrass version recording in the beginning of the song , Then goes into the accordion/french version. I'm looking for who made the version that I heard on KBON. Thanks for the replys.

That is the Chris Miller & Bayou Roots version mentioned earlier by Meloderon. Very Cool.

I have a wunderful Cd from the Touchet Family and on that cd tehre's also a version.
Lost her in the Pines.

Touchet Family

Yes, indeed Ron!
Wonderful cd (on Swallow), with, among many other beauties, a very beautiful version of "Old-Fashioned Two-Step" and an amazing Touchet-original "Life I Thought I Wanted" (La Vie J'croyais J'voulais).
Chris Miller's version of "In The Pines" (and his whole cd) is also a jewel indeed...

A friend gave me a mix's cd with it on it, glad to know who did that version. It immediately stuck in my head and I've been playing it often since. Does anyone know the french lyrics on the 2nd verse?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!