Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cajun Banjo?

Dirk Powell also plays banjo on a song from Kristi Guillory's next to newest CD. It is a fine song.

Jack Bond

Wherever there is a fiddle, the banjo is sure to follow.

I believe that back in the day, before we were spoiled with the disposable income we have now, that if there happened to be a banjo in the house that is what you used. Cajun music went with what was in a typical Cajun household at the time. People will play the music that is in their hearts using what they have at hand. I think too much time and energy is put into which is instrument is "correct". This also goes with which brands are "correct".

Me thinks you hit the nail on the proverbial head.

@Neal - Thanks for the link to the npmusic.org site. That is an absolute gold mine. I've run into references a couple times when I on the ship, but it's blocked out there so I'm doing my downloads now before heading back.

@Steve - As for pipes with cajun music, I agree that the great pipes wouldn't be a good thing, but the ulian pipes might work in nicely. The thought of Paddy O'Connor (Chieftains) and any number of accordion musicians playing together is a good thought - once again IMHO.

Once I get passable with my accordion, my banjo friend is looking forward to trying some things.

My perpective on this is if your sitting around and jamming with folks and banjo's, mandilines, piano's, harmonica's are what ever show's up then jump in and have a ball. But when I buy music I only want the traditional instruments in the band. Michael Doucet has a flute in one of his songs of Madam Soustan, it is a good song and of coarse professionally mixed, the flute however, changes the song that I don't listen to it often. At the jams at Vermillionville a guy comes sometimes with bagpipes, interesting for about the first 20 seconds and then I am done. For the jams that I have on Saturday I only allow traditional instruments in the group. It is too easy for the music to get off track when someone shows up with an "unconventional instrument".
Le Piquant

There was a time when the accordion was considered unconventional and obnoxious for Cajun music.

Amen Bryan.....

That's true however, it is now considered the heartbeat of cajun music. The guitar was once considered a crude instrument to some genres of music as well. I am not saying that other intruments can not be adapted to a particular cultural music. However, other forms of music sung in Cajun french is a different genre. I maybe stubborn on this point and that is ok. Look what they did to country music. I could not tell you who the top "country singers" are today because it no longer sounds like "country music". Stretch the elastic as far as it can be stretched but when you let it go it will return to a relaxed state.
Le Piquant

I just read this debate to my wife and she made a good point by saying"stretch it too much and for too long it looses it's usefulness and so you just replace it."
Le Piquant

You mean some think there is country music after Merle Haggard?

I live it when I can make myself understood.
Le Piquant

I play both instruments and with both they make the same joke.
You never have to lock your car with your instrument inside, because they never take them out of your car.
Instead of they bring you more banjo's or accordions.

Good one, but by telling us that everybody knows you don't live in Louisisana or Tennesee.
Le Piquant

Keep the banjo with the barber shop music. We dont need no stinkin banjo in cajun music

Re: Cajun Banjo? FINALLY!!!

FINALLY..SOMETHING BOTH LE PIQUANT AND RANDY4U AGREE ON!!?? MAN YOU KNOW IT MUST BE ONE OF THOSE CHRISTMAS MIRACLES WE HEAR ABOUT BUT RARELY GET TO WITNESS. IT IS LIKE CATCHING SANTA PLAYING ONE OF THOSE CAJUN ACCORDIONS HE AND HIS ELVES MAKE....

From the wife of Le Piquant,
Charlie, "after talking to you at the Mamou Cajun Music Festival I appreciated your perpective on things, and I agree that it is a miricle."

From Le Piquant,
On second thought maybe a banjo might be nice.
Just Kidding

CB its **** scary to agree with anything he says but on this one what can I say.

I thought banjo's are Cajun ? You mean to tell me they aint ? The what abuot that movie where them camper's got lost off in the swamps ? That was cajuns please tell me ive not had it all wrong all these past years

Paul why dont you go play with yourself on another site.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!