Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Standing up, Sitting down? Playing Good Technically Versus Playing not-quite-so-good But with Energy

Does playing wilst sitting down on stage, on a chair or stool, take away from the artist's presentation, but by so doing enhance the quality of his music, thus ading to the enjoyment of the listeners?

Or, conversely, does playing in the upright posture add to the excitement of the listeners and dancers, especially if the aformentioned artist's is doing his best bugaloo Elvis impersonation.

First-hand experiences of the forum members would be appreciated, but guesses and unsubstantiated opinions are also welcome.

JB

Re: Standing up, Sitting down? Playing Good Technically Versus Playing not-quite-so-good But with En

I prefere playing on a chair.
I think that I can hold the accordion more stabile than playing standing up, but I can manage playing on my feet. I know musicians who have a better presentation from a chair than standing up. A musician that have some disorder in his movements, could better take a stool. But Joe Cocker is somebody who's getting famous with his movements on stage
In the talentshows on the television it looks like the presentation and the looks are more important than the musical qualities.

Re: Standing up, Sitting down? Playing Good Technically Versus Playing not-quite-so-good But with En

Go for the in between way, fun too:

- nout

I think it depends on who is doing the playing. Different crowds go to see different musicians. I dont think Steve Riley's crowd want to see the band all sitting down just playing their instruments. But watch Ray Abshire play. Nothing seems to move on him as he sits there but what comes out of his accordion is pure magic.

Sitting and playing is much Cajun accordion easier for me, because of the angle. I find carpal tunnel doesn't agree with the standing position my hands have to be in. However I did my share of standing on stage with a piano accordion for the Irish pub music.

For me, when it comes down to it, I'm never going to throw any synthetic emotions in my playing. Some people ask "why don't you smile more when you play?". My answer is, that I could care less what people think of what my face is doing. If they want a synthetic smile, go watch a movie. If I happen to show any kind of body movements or any kind of smile, what so ever, it's all real. F*ck being synthetic, that's all I have to say.

I would never, ever play sitting down. No way.

I'm not inclined to believe that sitting makes the playing any better, but even if it did, I would not do it. It looks boring and lame.

Of course, I should mention that prior to my Zydeco and Cajun musical endeavors, I was a Rocker, so that gives you some idea of where I am coming from.

-David

Up & Down

Moving your body to the music helps to develop a solid rhythm. I fact, I like hopping up & down while playing a two step. (down = on the second beat, c.q. the index bass finger) Like dancing to your own music.
What it looks like is not the main thing for me. Nobody is watching! But it sure is fun, and it can help a lot to play in the groove. Take for instance a funny tune such as Bosco Stomp, where you don't know sometimes whether you are playing the first or second beat.
But my carpal tunnel protests every now and then. Sometimes I feel an electric shock in my left wrist, or my fingers go numb.
Then I take a break, I sit down, and I play a waltz!(or jig or a reel)
It's easier to reach all the buttons when you sit, and you don't need a strap. If I go for embellishments or fancy stuff - let's say, the "melodic"approach -, sitting seems more comfortable. And for a more rhythmic/dynamic approach, standing up.

PS(regarding the "looks"): I hardly ever play Cajun music on stage, but I think standing up will look better in a bigger setting, like a dance hall or big stage (with an amplified band and all that)
Sitting would suit better to a more intimate "folk" or traditional performance.
But this goes for all musicians, not only the Cajun ones: The bigger the place, the more important the visual aspect becomes.

Re: Up & Down

For my 2 cents worth..I totally agree with David and Peer.

When you're doing Performance Music ( as distinct from studio or lounge room music ), you're visuals are extremely important...perhaps, with reservations, even more important than what you're actually playing.

To sit down sends a poor body language message to the paying customers ( other than if you have a bad back and have no options..in which case you may need to reconsider doing performance work ).

If the punters wanted to just listen to your music they'd stay home and play a CD or MP3..ie. if you had produced one.

The motivation behind seeing you at a gig is to become part of the sight and sound and communication thing going on.

Not many artists can get away with a sit and play method..Walter Mouton and Marc Savoy yes.....but think about the age factor there and the necessity to remain seated. Their musical skills of course compensate enormously.

When you're asking a crowd to get on da floor and dance..the last thing YOU should be doing is sitting down !!!

And my pet hate is to go to or perform to a crowd that's seated in comfortable chairs and tables with rugs over their knees and hot drinks in their hands..when that starts to happen I'll give the game away....

To musicians who aren't doing as well as they expected, it may just be that they need to show more interest and physical involvement in the process..it could be the only missing ingredient for their success in performance music and the pleasure and enjoyment it can bring.

IMHO.

Cajuns do it standing up

That's right, Darryl. I was thinking too of Mark Savoy as a sitter, but he is a Living Legend, and that's a difference to us mortals.
I (try to) make a living as a musician, and Lesson One is: throw youself into it, put in some energy and show some enthousiasm, and make people happy, or you won't get far! Even though this traditional music deserves respect, for the crowd it's just entertainment.
Some people made a career without moving at all and not showing any emotion, like Earl Scruggs for example, but they are exceptions.
We don't have to be all Doug Kershaws, but, playing before an audience, I think we should beware of too much concentration on the music, and too little on the people we do it for. (I had to learn the hard way)

In my opinion, I think this topic is being way over-analyzed. I say do what you are comfortable with. In the end, it is really about the music and not the visual appeal.

You are right about the music.
For me it's the main thing when I'm listen and look at musicians, but many people who don't make music themself allways talking about the presentation. They don't laugh, they are sitting down, it's boring,.....
I know bands which allways sitting during a gig and they swing like a camel.

?? .. ??

I was just saying what I'm comfortable with!
Exactly what you said.
And I just agreed with Darryl that people tend to "listen with their eyes". I wouldn't call that over-analyzing.
I just want to share what I learned through the years while playing for other people (averaging 200 gigs a year in the last twenty years, so I know what I'm talking about)

Re: ?? .. ??

Did you think my post was directed at you, Peer? I was making a generalized statement about the whole thread which is why it isn't indented beneath your post. It wasn't a challenge to your post. You posted what you know to be true. I opened with "In my opinion."

Gulp !!..I was gonna add a rider to my comments about how lack-lustre some of the performance based Cajun bands, particularly younger Cajun band members, dress for stage work..

..some look like they just picked up the nearest thing lyin' around on their bedroom floor...BUT..I'll save that discussion for another day !!!

Thank goodness for Geno D. and starched shirts .

Bye for now !!

No worries, Darryl. I think what is best is that each performer do what they feel is appropriate, and I do recognize that these are just different opinions. I just don't think SHOULD be done a certain way.

One thing that I always go back to, and I recently posted this on my FaceBook, is a quote that I read at Marc Savoy's store once. Forgive me, I am paraphrasing. "After considering the quality of today's popular music, I have decided to play only for the blind."

I guess in my mind, if the audience I am playing for is more concern about the way I look instead of what I am playing, then I am playing for the wrong audience.

Oh BTW....

Thanks for the last picture. My boy loved it.

Re: Oh BTW....

Yeah..thought he would appreciate it..your welcome.

Darryl.

Re: ?? .. ?? 200 hundred gigs Peer

Wow,that's a lot Peer.What types of music do you play,and what instruments.I may do 20 or 30 a year,but I'm not making a living at it.Do you play a lot of Cajun gigs

Hi Patrick, hi Ganey

Hi Patrick, no, I love Cajun music, but it's not something you can make a living with over here in Holland. (unfortunately - anyway, I'm still not good enough at it - still learning)
The instrument I use for gigs is a tiny piano accordion (a Hohner Student or Concerto I) , and I play and sing anything from Dutch sailor's songs & singalongs to French chansons, Irish ballads, Mediterranean repertoir, swing, evergreens and sometimes even some cajun or blues... anything actually. check out website # 1.
Last year I didn't play that many gigs, maybe 150 or so, (hard times and old age) but over the years I did. (in the nineties way over 200 a year) Nothing romantic about it: no big stages and all that, just small parties, school concerts,(website #3), boattrips, etc. Most of it nowadays on my own, and without PA. A lovely way to make music.
Hi Ganey: Maybe I seemed to take it personally, but I speak also for Darryl.
I still think this is a very interesting subject, if only for all the different opinions on this matter. In fact I'm quite an introverted person and musician, and I really had to learn to do more than just produce sound. When I concentrate, I don't look nice at all!! If I were a musical genius, that wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not. So I smile a bit more than I used to when I play for the people, and they smile back to me.

website

mistake: Website #1 should be website #2
(this is the shorter english version)

Re: ?? .. ?? 200 hundred gigs Peer

It's a pleasure to look and listen to a gig from Peer and his buddies. I saw him a several times before I know that he's also doing something with Cajun Music.
The first time he was playing on a family party and he was playing ols Dutch songs from 70 years ago. I know all that somgs from my youth, but the older people really enjoyed it. But they also do some country songs, Irish songs aand much more. If somebody had a request, they play it. Allways a good time !

:o)

Bedankt voor het compliment, Ron.
website link #3: Kees Ouwejan & Makkers.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!