Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Don't need KBON

I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned here before, but I have been listening to Pandora (second link) a lot lately. I'm not real big on listening to radio because of the mix, but Pandora Internet Radio allows you to customize the songs that you want. Create a playlist by searching for your favorite artist. Pandora will automatically select other songs and artists that are similar in instrumentation, genre, beat, etc. If you disagree with a selection, you can dislike it and never hear it again. Very cool!

Re: Don't need KBON

Yeah, my sister in law got that and I was impressed! 10-15 years ago, most people wouldn't dream of such a thing. How much does that cost a month?

Absolutely free!!!

too bad that Pandora doesn't work outside the US.

I often use radio live 365 .com (link#2)
Search for your favorite kind of music on different stations and you hear it all the time.
It was mentioned before on this board.
It works also in Europe.

hey, thanks again, Ron!!

The one time I love listening to a Cajun music radio program, is 2 hours from 7-9 Sunday morning on KRVS with Louis Michot, and the kind of music I love, plus all in French.

Pandora is great. Free registration, and it;ll remember your playlist/station. Wondered if you can listen in your car via an iPhone or similar device, since they use a G3 network for internet connection? Hmm, no more stations fading in and out, no more searching the whole ride before giving up. No more ads for stuff I don't want. That would definitely inspire an upgrade from my iTouch.
-Steve

answering my own question

Pandora does work on the iPhone/iTouch. Didn't try it before because iTouch uses WiFi and not G3, and the browser is a stripped down version of its big brother. Turns out, there's an app you install (free) for these devices. Cool. Can't drive around and listen with WiFi, but can listen at work via their wireless network. Don't have to be within earshot of the computer. So now have a new wish list - buy an iphone to listen to Pandora in the car, get Jim to sell me that Eb Acadian, and get Dowell to show mw how to make gratons without turning them into beach pebbles.
-Steve

Re: answering my own question

Steve, Bryan is now the in-house graton expert. More than likely he'll be cookinf a batch for our Possum cook-off, probably mid-afternoon, so if you get here early enough, you can witness (and taste) the process.

Dowell

I'm also connected to Swamp Pop Radio that I discovered on facebook and it is free too. It has a pretty eclectic mix of SW LA music. Not as fully selective as Pandora to which I also listen. And yes I also tune in *cyberly* to KBON in spite of the rap it is taking on this site and KRVS especially Saturday nights. I unfortunately have to miss Louie M's show on Sunday.

Anybody listen to Cajun Radio out of Abbeville. I think it is a sister station to KROF where Camey Doucet works.
Le Piquant

Le Piquant
Anybody listen to Cajun Radio out of Abbeville. I think it is a sister station to KROF where Camey Doucet works.
Le Piquant

You're talking about 960am The Gator, I love that station because the play way more classic cajun music than KBON. Unfortunately, as of last week (or maybe the week befor that) 960am The Gator is no longer. The frequency is now an oldies station.

On and one more thing, I love Pandora Radio!

Man, Ganey, I think you're right about Pandora. I think it's the future of radio, much like satellite radio is, too.

Nowadays, you have to question why someone listens to an AM/FM radio, anyways. For me, it's 100% in the car, and it's local news, weather, and traffic coupled with a smattering of political rhetoric. I do occasionally seek out the latest hip-hop and pop tunes just to see where the public's head is at. Yes, I like to know what is being consumed by the 20 year-old in the Prius behind me is buying.

But all that aside, I'll put myself in some Brave shoes...

If I were a Cajun music junkie, I wouldn't listen to the radio for music because, as an accordion maven, no cuts played by any station would be deep enough to reach my accordion G-spot. Most of the broadcast tunes would be safe, radio-friendly, sing-along types that everyone knows or has heard a jillion times. So therefore any mortal deejay could not possess the level of accordionism needed to pick songs that I need to hear. Just sayin'... if I were an accordion nut, that's what I be thinkin'. AM I RIGHT HERE? CAN I GET AN AMEN?!

SO. I listen to the radio because...? Because Groucho likes to play Grand Nuit Special once every hour? No. Because I need a new car from Courvelle Toyota? No. Because I'm certain Groucho is going to play something brand new that is going to make me want to rush out to WalMart to purchase? Doubtful. Because I need to know where the next dance is taking place at? Perhaps. Because I need some background noise to drown-out the bass bumping from the 20 year-old in the Prius behind me? Yes!!! It's all background -- A veritable soundtrack for the moment. If you dislike it, chances are, you'll hear it again. UNLESS you change the channel... or... seek out alternatives such as your personal music collection or this "smart" radio that Ganey is talking about.

Ever listen to the stuff that plays in your head?

R!CK

Amen, brother. I rarely hear something I don't already
have in my CD collection. Buy the CD's and support
Floyd's and others. That being said I haven't heard
much Swamp Pop so I think I'll try that Facebook
sits.

Speaking of Cajun music on the radio, my favorite program every Monday-Friday is Pete Bergeron on KRVS. Over time, he plays an extraordinary variety of traditional Cajun music, both old and new. His program is a great connection to SW Louisiana.

If only more radio music programs were like his, I might listen to radio more often...

Which is, by the way, from 5 to 7 am every morning. It is a good program and I listen to him every morning on my way to work.

Dowell

Pandora is a great way to listen to music and you can download the songs you hear to realplayer and then burn them. So that is the means to listen in your car to the songs you like.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!