Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Savoy Pioneer Series

Check out new series from Mark Savoy:

The Pioneer Series will have the following specifications:

Quarter-sawn northern hard maple stained piano black
Reeds by Binci a mano
Available in any key with special tunings
Black Bellows/Red interior
Solid Brass Hardware
Solid stainless steel or solid brass buttons available
Inlayed bellow frame sides, tops of frames engraved with Acadian est. 1960
Stops inlayed with either mother of pearl or abalone
Signed on the interior by Marc Savoy, Tina Pilione, and Joel Savoy
Price $2495
Delivery: Spring/Summer 2010

The first ten instruments of the Pioneer Series will be in honor of the late Amedé Ardoin. Each instrument will be engraved with "Pioneer Series" and his name and the title and date of one of his recordings:

Eunice Two Step 1929 SOLD
Two Step de Prairie Soileau 1929 SOLD
Madam Achten 1929
La Valse a Abe 1929
Blues de Basile 1930
One Step de Chameaux 1930 SOLD
Oberlin 1934
Les Blues de Crowley 1934
Midland Two Step 1934 SOLD
Les Blues de la Prison 1934

Re: Savoy Pioneer Series

I'm glad he's fired up and still building. I'll always appreciate everyone that I have.

Any particular reason these accordions are also being signed by Tina and Joel?

John

Ummmm, uh, uh... well... because in particular, they help build them! Hmmmm.... What a concept! Yes, he has help!

Don't worry though, they are fine accordions. I'd go so far as to say, they are awesome. Acadians are Marc's recipe, and they taste good to my ears and hands.... Other people may agree.

He's worked with Tina for many years and Joel is his son, as you know, whom has been helping him in his shop for some time now. Who knows, maybe Joel will carry the torch when Marc retires.

Many builders of instruments, high in demand, have just a little assistance . There are other fine Cajun accordion builders down there that have help, not just him.

These theme accordions are a neat idea. It probably makes something you've done for so many years fun and interesting.

I didn't know Joel was helping him. I knew Joel was building electric guitars, must be using pop's shop.

Bryan: the themed accordions do seem to be a great idea and I agree with you about how they probably have given Marc a chance to do something different. I wonder which other pioneers he will pay tribute to after he sells all of these?

Jim: no need to be a smart ass, I was just asking a question as to what specific contributions the two of them had to building the accordions or in coming up with the concept of the master series.

John

That's nice to see Joel's involvement. Not taking anything away from Tina's contribution at all, but much like Jay carrying on Larry Miller's tradition, it's great to see something carried on through family.
-Steve

Sure they are the ones putting his gimmicks together

John- No problem, I just have heard from one end to the other on this board about "why is Tina helping Marc", etc. etc. "Isn't arc supposed to be building them".

When you said "any reason in particular that Tina and Joel were signing the accordions", it sounded like the beginning of a repeat of years of smack talking Marc.

No hard feelings, glad that wasn't your intention.

Bryan- Joel told me recently that he's working with amps more than building guitars now adays, but he's learning the trade of accordion building.

Maybe he will reveal the dark secrets of Acadian reedblocks! mwuahahaha!

Nothing too hard to figure out. He cuts the chambers as low as they can go, without the reeds or leathers making noise. Air efficiency is a plus.

This is just my take on it, but other builders, who roam here, probably can elaborate better.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!