Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Two Steps and their Sister Waltzes

Yeah, I thought we had, but I just couldn't find the thread. To answer your question JB, I would like to learn new songs, but the rythym section of the band I play in have too many irons in the fire to be able to set them all down and learn new material right now. These two guys are jazz, rock, and country pros and the cajun band is just one of their many side projects. I have about 5 new songs that I want to introduce to the set lists but the one of the only times we have to get together is when we are at a gig. If I can find songs that I can turn into Waltzes that we already play then I save them a lot of time which makes them happy.

Thanks for the suggestions! We play Laccasine so I'll look into Dans Les Misere.

Hey Ehren your parents said Hi!! We all went to see Jr Martin today ( LA finest) and Marilyn played Joels tripple row turned that zydeco box into ummmmm pah right away. Joel was impressed.

I had started a discussion on both this and on playing the same song in different positions. Been a while though.

A solution could be to play after each two step a waltz and after each waltz a two step.
But from some waltzes the dancers are getting more tired than from a two step.
But it's great to know all the two step/waltz songs that are similar.
Awesome question !!

But you don't want to play too many songs in the same key one after the other. It starts sounding repetitious, play a song in C then maybe a few in G then maybe someting in F then back to C. If you know that many songs anyway. I am working on it I'll report back later with my progress.
Le Piquant

You're right about repetitious, but with a C and a D accordion there are more keys to play in.
We change two steps and waltzes for the dancers.
How does it goes nowadays and how did it go in the past in the dancehalls ? Do or did they play more two steps than waltzes ?
We play about 75 songs now with the band.

mostly it ws a waltz then a two step sometimes if the band drank too many Schlitz then they might play two two steps in a row or maybe three.
Le Piquant

75 songs

Hey, Ron, if you have a gig here or there with the DTCB, let me know. I wanna hear all them 75 songs!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!