Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discography of Cajun/Zydeco Music

For me, that discography is of marginal value. It was a noble effort; but like a lot of noble efforts, it was never completed or updated; and there are a lot of mistakes.

I would like just to have a discography of what I have; but that too takes a lot of effort. My discography is largely in my head, which doesn't do anybody (including me) much good.

The best thing that I have seen and used a lot is a book that Nancy Weston put out back in 2000 titled "Cajun Song Index." In that index, she has a list of recordings included in her index. Then she has a list in alphabetical order of songs/tunes on the recordings that she lists. It is really quite good for LPs and CDs released up to that point. I have used it a lot.

If you are interested in finding out more about it, the last email address that I have for her is IMCAJUNTWO@aol.com.

There is also a lot of information in various other places - the website Neal mentioned; a listing of recordings made in New Orleans back in the 20's and 30's (Neal gives a link to that on his website); and various collectors who specialize in Pre-War (II) recordings; recordings released on Jay Miller's many labels plus Eddie Schuler's; and obviously, those who collect LPs and CDs.

The only problem is that none of them is comprehensive and most only consist of recordings that the various collectors have - not what they do not own.

Anyway, all of them have value; but Nancy Weston's is the best that I know about.

It sure would be nice to have something that is complete and kept current; but except for someone's own personal interest, I'm not sure how much demand there would be for a comprehensive discography.

If you ever hear of one, I sure would like to know about it.

Jack Bond

Re: Discography of Cajun/Zydeco Music

I agree with Jack. Nancy's compilation is great. She added an addendum a
couple of years after the original. It is truly a labor of love for the music.

I use it alot - to find versions of a song (quickly) when I want the song
for learning on accordion or practicing before a gig where I play guitar
or bass.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!