Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: what to buy?

I'm not sure any of the builders have anything absolutely ready to ship today especially since there is so much customization involved most of the time. Most the builders let you choose wood, ornamentation, and fixtures. Have you thought about pearl or metal buttons? Did you want a certian type or color of bellows? Did you want a wet tuned box or traditional tuning? Each of those things will make it take longer for you to get your box. Martin and Acadian have the largest volume so you probably can get one of them quicker than say a Falcon which has quite a waiting list most of the time. The best way to figure this out is to actually call them and speak with them. Both of these builders answered right away when I called their numbers and spoke to me at length about what they could provide. Maybe they have a box they were building that somebody decided they didn't want...If you want information, go to the source!

I have an Acadian in C by the way, Medium Dark walnut, metal buttons, flower pattern bellows (cause thats what he had at the time). Currently it is being fixed by Mr. Savoy becuase it has gone out of tune, but he did it for free so thats something to think about too.

I've got a buddy in Kaplan that has a Martin don't know what key. He got his on ebay and loves it. Think he gave a grand for it which is still cheap for a local squeezebox most are like twice and three times that amount. He loves it to the point he talks to it and he says it talksback! He's a cutup but likes his accordion. Plays alright for a Yankee boy. So I think ebay and craiglist is a good way to get one. Ask questions snd get pics before you buy!!!!

Ya but I heard he wasnt to friendly to the guy that brought in your accordion.

Perhaps it was the Martin is the best accordian EVAR t-shirt you were wearing.

JK

Thanks for doing that by the way

Re: what to buy? le Capitaine

I own a C tuned Le Capitaine made by Danny Dyson of Big Lake (Lake Charles) and JB in San Antonio has a D box as well. They are very nice accordions and will last you your lifetime. Danny is a great guy and very helpful to anyone who owns one of his boxes even if you are not the original owner. He taught himself to build and is close to Larry Miller.

Re: what to buy? le Capitaine

I just took a look at the one on Ebay and it looks great. Unusual to have the bellows divider. By the way, Danny has stopped building for the moment. Last I talked to him in October, he was planning on starting again...just was no longer taking orders. I think his Native American flutes are occupying his shop time. see link #2 above

Leland Colligan (337-255-4024) who makes "Acadiana" accordions (the kind played by Jimmy Breaux w/ BeauSoleil) has a newly C for sale right now. I think he is selling it for $1,800.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!