Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bravenet project - Johnny Can't Dance

Howdy gang,

Me and a bunch of other Bravenetters (and not Bravenetters) have started a project.

Since a lot of us have and use video camera these days, I thought it might be a good idea to pick a song once a month or so, and EVERYBODY, beginner to pro, who can or who wants to, will record themselves playing this song. We've already started with "Johnny Can't Dance" a 2nd postition, pull song, that a lot of people know.

I guess our modus operandi will be to announce the song first, give everyone a couple weeks or so to attempt it, then a couple weeks to get it recorded and uploaded to YouTube, then a couple more weeks to digest it. I figure we all have something to learn and something to teach, even if it's one beginner showing another beginner how they're taking their fledgling steps. You can learn a lot just by seeing yourself, even if nobody else ever sees it.

It's also pretty handy on Youtube to be able to say, "Hey Jim, at 1:34 on your YouTube, you do a 3 second lick I'd like to learn." Then Jim can either try to explain it, or maybe even video himself doing it slowly, just for you. We've already done this numerous times, and we're just getting started.

YouTube gives you the option of privately recording, so if you are a bit shy and don't want the whole world to see what you're doing, then you can list it as "private", and only send it out to people who you want to see it. I've got a pretty good list of beginners to intermediates going, if you want it.

We've already started, and I would ask those who have posted for our little group who feel comfortable with going public, sign on to this thread and show everyone your Johnny Can't Dance.

I'll go first. Check website #1.

I want to stress that this is NOT a competition, it's not meant to be a performance. It hopefully will be a tool we can use to learn from each other.Just play the way you play, and don't fret about getting it your absolute best. You can drive yourself crazy that way.

One other thing: if you've never recorded yourself before, especially if you're a beginner, you might want to prepare yourself to be horrified. I sure was. It's like the first time you hear yourself on a tape recorder - you might not have the Dean Martin (or Michael Dupuy) voice you thought you had. But the camera don't lie too much, and it can show you things you'd have a lot more trouble picking up on without it.

Also, if you need help with the video/upload process, there are plenty of us on here who can help out.

So whaddaya say? I look forward to seeing YOUR version of Johnny Can't Dance!

Re: Bravenet project - Johnny Can't Dance

Used to play it on the fiddle back in the 70-ies; Peer used to play it on his old Hohner H114 me thinks ... on now accordion, the second tune in this medley:

Nout

Hey Nout, that was fun! I've often wondered, how do you make your YouTube show up in the post like you did, as opposed to just putting an address for people to go to? Thanks!

Here's mine, I don't know how to do the website thing.
Le Piquant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJ5_IWoCvY

Thanks Jerry. I know I can always count on you.

Two requests, fellows: 1)If you can use a C accordion, that would be the most helpful, since that's what most people have and 2)Try to show your face at least some point in the video; it's fun to see what everyone looks like!

Jamie,What happened to your Mardi Gras Hat and Mask video
Here's my simple version link 1

For got to show my face for Jamie

For got to show my face for Jamie Link 2

Re: For got to show my face for Jamie

Yeah, since I'd already shown my face on a couple of previous Johnny Can't Dance video's, I forgot to put it on that last one - dang it! Next time . . . Or maybe I'll do this one over.

Jamey, next time you post a vid here, you should copy the HTML and paste it in your message. This way everyone can see it, without having to click a mysterious link

Will do Jim! Also, GREAT job Patrick! Can anyone believe Patrick's only been playing one year? Unbelievable!

Lurkers, time for Johnny Can't Dance?

No need to be frightened, Jamey has set up an email group, combined with youtube, where we all play our own versions of the tune and share. And the main thing he is aiming for, is that we all share our knowledge and representation of various songs.

Jamey said it right, this is no contest, but only a way to share and learn, from each other. Good times, yeah?

I think it's also a good idea, for any, or all of us, to bring up other songs to consider learning and playing. A nudge, yeah? I figure, even if someone doesn't know a certain tune that is presented, at least it'll inspire a little learning!

Let's take advantage of youtube, people!

Please consider

Re: Lurkers, time for Johnny Can't Dance?

Yea Buddy!
Le Piquant

PS Where is the HTML thingy so I can do that?

This was a great idea Jamey,Thanks,I have learned a lot already.I think I have picked up something from everybody

Yes, good idea. If I have time I will try to make a version too.
It's right that I tried to play a similar tune in the seventies on my (then new) 114. It's even on a record, - played way too fast when I hear it back now, and all single notes.
I learned it from a Frenchman called Jacquot, and I didn't know anything about Cajun music at all. Didn't even know the name of the tune, so we called it "Camembert" or something.
Only found out the real name some 2 years ago from the Powell DVD.

Wow, great story Peer! Some of us from outside the Cajun region and culture have taken some winding roads to get to the Cajun accordion.

Testing to see if I can embed the video.

Re: How to embed yourJohnny Can't Dance video

Wow, it's even easier than Nout said. To the right of your video, there's the place where your username, info on the video, and the yellow box that says "Subscribe" is. Under that there are two boxes: URL and Embed. Just copy the Embed box (and there's a LOT of code in that box, be sure and get all of it) and paste it into your Bravenet post. Voila!

I am very glad to see so much interest in this YouTube thing. Once I found out about it I was definitely interested in using it as a tool for teaching and learning.

I have posted a video of me playing the Lawrence Walker Medley - (Recorded by Steve Riley), which begins with Johnny Can't Dance as the first song of the medley. The last song is Ossun Two step. Does anyone know what the second song is? I can't remember.

Anyway, I find it kind of interesting looking back at a video of Johnny Can't dance that I posted over two years ago. I no longer play this song this way, and I hope that I am improving.

2008 Johnny Cant dance see link #2

Nice playing, Brett! I recall an email from you almost 2 years ago where you stated you were recommitting yourself to the Cajun accordion and you certainly have!! Your progress is an inspiration to me to keep plugging away and hopefully I too will continue with improving my playing ability.
CharlieB.

The second song is "Walker Special", I believe.

Marc.

The second tune is actually the Wandering Aces Special.

Exact Mark, you're right.

Marc.

OK here is my take on Johnny can't dance for Jamey's project. I'mv gonna re-work that A part. Need to go back and listen to Aldus, and watch Octa and Pee Wee.

It looks like the embed thing cuts off part of the video so here is the full link (also link 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1r8LU71Zk4

Thanks to Brett and Mark! Excellent videos, both. Let's don't let the advanced players have all the fun,though. Keep'em coming guys!

Ok Jamey I'll sit back and give the other guys a chance. LOL
Le Piquant

Wandering Aces and imbed experiment

Very nice medley Brett. Here is my attempt, rough and choppy as usual, at Wandering Aces Special. Also link #2

Re: Wandering Aces and imbed experiment

Hey, you're way too hard on yourself - that was great! And it looks TOUGH to play, too.

But your Johnny Can't Dance is even better - when we gonna get to see it . . .?

Well, it's rough and choppy too, but here it is. I use Wandering aces special to check reed response. It's not terribly hard to play, and I love playing it.

That's a GREAT version! I don't hear "rough and choppy" at all, but you're a couple levels up from me, so maybe your ear is more discriminating.

Beautiful looking and great sounding accordion, too! I hope everyone on the board knows you built it. They can add your name to the short list of quality builders.

Finally, thanks for slowing it down later in the video. It would be nice if all the advanced players did both a regular and slow segment on their video like you did; it sure helps all of us "students".

Great job! 4 stars!

Nice Bryan: I'll post my version of Wandering Aces in a few days...under a new thread maybe...this one is getting kinda long.

Jamey Hall
Hey Nout, that was fun! I've often wondered, how do you make your YouTube show up in the post like you did, as opposed to just putting an address for people to go to? Thanks!

Jamey, example: start on this type of Utube page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfJL5s11gCo

there are two code fields at the right of the clip; choose the lower one, called "embed", pointer in the field, one click, control + A, control + C. Then the code is in the Windows buffer, put the pointer where you want it in the enter message forum field, control + V.

Eureka, she's put to bed on the forum, best, Nout

Anyone got the lyrics?

Big mystery ! Why Petit Johnny can't dance ? Poor guy, Johnny have two left feet !!!

Here are lyrics, version by Savoy Doucet Cajun Band :

Petit Johnny voudrait danser,
Mais petit Johnny peut pas danser,
Il a essayé, il a essayé,
Mais petit Johnny peut pas danser.
Tous les samedi soir, mais dans les soirées
Il guettait les jolies filles danser.
Tu connais il a grande envie.
Petit Johnny peut pas danser,
Petit Johnny,
Petit Johnny,
Petit Johnny,
Petit Johnny peut pas danser.
(repeat this verse)

Marc.

I thought that the second song was the Melville Two Step. It sounds like the 2 step that marc Savoy is playing in the vide J'ete au ball.
I read on the internet that Johnny was a guy that was a very good accordionplayer, but he couldn't dance, until a local pretty girl ask him to dance. ?????

Below a short version from the story about Johnny
Link#2
You have to register to read the whole story.

"It's no use, Maman," said Johnny on Saturday afternoon. "I'm just no good at dancing."

His mother made a clucking sound. "Cher," she said, "I showed you over and over. You got to keep trying."

"But -"

"Tonight will be different, you'll see. Try a turn with that pretty Lisette Theriot. I've known her mama since the second grade."

Johnny sighed and went outside, banging the screen door behind him. Under his arm was the old black Monarch accordion his grandfather had given him. He threw himself down under the mimosa tree and pulled open the…

Re: Bravenet project - Johnny Can't Dance (Whole story)

"It's no use, Maman," said Johnny on Saturday afternoon. "I'm just no good at dancing."
His mother made a clucking sound. "Cher," she said, "I showed you over and over. You got to keep trying."
"But--"
"Tonight will be different, you'll see. Try a turn with that pretty Lisette Theriot. I've known her mama since the second grade."
Johnny sighed and went outside, banging the screen door behind him. Under his arm was the old black Monarch accordion his grandfather had given him. He threw himself down under the mimosa tree and pulled open the bellows. He loved to play the old Cajun songs he had heard all his life. His fingers moved nimbly over the little silver buttons. Before long, he had forgotten all his problems.
Every Saturday night since he could remember, he and his parents had gone to the dance at the Chinaball Club in Scott, Louisiana. Every Saturday night, Johnny's hero, Monsieur Alcide Mouton, played the accordion and the guitar with his band, the Sundown Ramblers.
It used to be the best night of the week, but lately everything had changed. Now that Johnny was older, he was expected to ask a girl to dance at least once a night. He could dance all right when he practiced by himself at home. But as soon as he had to dance in public, he got confused and flustered and made a fool of himself every time.
As the sun began to set, Maman called him in to wash up. He pressed the air out of the accordion in a loud sigh and snapped the leather strap shut.
The Chinaball Club was already reverberating with music when Johnny and his parents arrived in their old green pickup. Maman straightened his collar and said, "Now don't forget to dance with Lisette Theriot."
"Oui, Maman," said Johnny. He followed them inside, his newly shined shoes pinching his toes.
He tried to concentrate on the music, but the dreaded dance was too much on his mind. At last he summoned the courage to approach Lisette.
She was standing with a group of girls, sipping lemonade. Her shirt was blue with big red flowers, and she wore a big red bow in her dark brown hair.
The girls nudged each other as Johnny approached. His cheeks burned. He stopped in front of Lisette and stammered, "May I have this dance?"
The other girls giggled. One of them pushed Lisette from behind just as Johnny offered her his hand, and the lemonade sloshed on her shirt.
"I'm sorry," said Johnny, flushing a deeper shade of red. He pulled his handkerchief from his back pocket and dabbed at the stain.
"That's all right, Johnny," said Lisette with a little smile. "I'll dance with you." She led the way to the dance floor and waited a moment for him to begin the waltz. Johnny counted silently to three, missed the beat, and began counting for the second time. Lisette gave up and took the lead. This threw him off, and he was lost.
The other couples glided by them in a large, graceful circle. Johnny struggled to keep up with Lisette's smooth steps, but he was always one beat behind her. He stumbled and trod on her toes.
A group of boys had joined the girls to watch. Johnny could hear snickers and guffaws. Then he heard Pierre Landry, the captain of the football team, say, "Look at that--I swear Johnny Broussard has two left feet!" Peals of laughter stung his ears.
That did it. Johnny broke away and ran outside, leaving Lisette standing in the middle of the dance floor. He spent the rest of the evening waiting for his parents in the pickup truck.
Johnny vowed never to go to another dance, no matter what his mother said. He would miss hearing the Sundown Ramblers, but at least he wouldn't be humiliated again.
The next Saturday he stayed away from the house most of the day, playing his accordion to the turtles on the bank of the creek.

Late in the afternoon, Johnny saw a blue car pull up to the house in a cloud of dust. A man dressed in neat khakis and a black hat emerged from the driver's seat. Johnny went closer.
It looked like ... it was! Monsieur Alcide Mouton himself! Papa came out of the barn to meet him.
"What brings you out our way, Alcide?"
"I'm craving some of your prize sweet potatoes," said Monsieur Alcide. "Will you sell me a crate of them?"
Papa nodded. "I'll go fetch you one," he said. "You know my boy, Johnny?"
"Why, sure. Comment ca va, Johnny? What you got there?"
Johnny timidly shook the outstretched hand and then held up his accordion.
Monsieur Alcide whistled. "An old Monarch, eh? That's a nice accordion, son. You play?"
Johnny nodded.
"Play me something."
"Oh, no, I ... "
"Come on, what's your favorite song?"
" 'The Bosco Stomp.' "
"Well then, let me hear that."
Johnny sat down on a stump, stretched out the bellows and began to play. Monsieur Alcide's eyes widened, and when the song was over, he let out a whistle.
"How'd you learn to play like that, boy?"
"Monsieur, I been listening to you since I was a bebe!"
Monsieur Alcide nodded. "You been listening good, too. Hold on, I got my guitar in the car. Let's play a few tunes together, want to?"
"Sure!"
They sat on the porch steps and played all the songs Johnny knew. He even got up the courage to sing a little.
The sun was setting when Monsieur Alcide stood up. "I got to be going if I'm gonna get to the Chinaball on time. You coming tonight, eh?"
Johnny ducked his head. "I-I'm not sure."
"Well, sure you are. Bring that accordion with you, and you can play some songs on stage with the Ramblers."
Monsieur Alcide paid Papa for the sweet potatoes and drove off, leaving Johnny staring open-mouthed after him. Papa clasped Johnny's shoulder as they went inside to get ready.
At the Chinaball Club, Johnny scanned the crowd for Lisette and her friends. He spotted them and skirted the room in the opposite direction. He sat down with his parents, hiding his accordion under the table.

It wasn't long before Pierre Landry walked by and said, "Hey, Leftie!" The other boys all laughed, and Johnny sank lower in his chair.

The Sundown Ramblers played for a long time before Johnny finally heard Monsieur Alcide call his name. He picked up his accordion and went to the bandstand, his eyes on the floor.
"Mes amis, I got a surprise for you tonight," Monsieur Alcide said into the microphone. "Young Johnny Broussard is going to join us for a few numbers on his accordion. He sings, too. Johnny, let's do
The Bosco Stomp.' "
Trembling, Johnny stepped up on the platform. He could hear a smattering of applause as Monsieur Alcide lowered the microphone for him. He began to play, and the drummer, guitar, and fiddle players joined in behind him. He sang all the verses he knew.
When the song ended, he heard cheers and whoops of approval. Lisette was smiling up at him from the dance floor.
"Play 'Jolie Blonde'!" someone shouted, and Johnny did. "Do you know 'The Evangeline Special'?" called someone else, and he played it.
Johnny kept playing until the dance was over. As he snapped his accordion shut, Monsieur Alcide said, "You did a fine job tonight, son. You go home and practice all week, then come back and play with us again next Saturday night. Who knows, there might even be a little money in it for you."
"Yes, sir!" said Johnny. He hopped off the stage and joined his parents.
As they went outside into the warm humid evening, Johnny saw Lisette and her friends in a little cluster near the door. They all stopped talking when they saw him. He stumbled on the stairs.
Lisette stepped forward, smiling. "You played real good tonight, Johnny," she said.
"Merci beaucoup," Johnny blushed.
"Will you be playing again next week?" said Lisette.
"I think so."
"Well, bon soir," she said.
"G'night," said Johnny. As he walked on, no one laughed or called him "Leftie." Pierre Landry even moved out of the way for him to pass.
Johnny climbed into the truck and patted his accordion. Come to think of it, in his whole life, he had never once seen Monsieur Alcide Mouton out on the dance floor.

That was a really nice story. Hopefully we can get more stories along with the song of the month.

John Alexander

Chris, I finally got a chance to watch your video - Holy Cats! That was incredible. I don't know how you pack so much into a minute and a half, and off the cuff no less. You're definitely in a whole 'nother weight class than us mere mortals. Wow!

But I sure ain't knockin' Jim Pettijohn's - yours was great Jim. You sure you ain't got some Cajun blood in you?

Thanks from all of us, guys!

Johnny Can't Dance (Whole story) coincidence?

Meloderon
..... "That's all right, Johnny," said Lisette with a little smile. "I'll dance with you." .....

My eldest daughter is called Lisette, married now to a Dion who alas doesn't dance nor plays the accor-Dion, plays something else:

.. a different story ... Nout

Thanks Ron. I had never heard that little story. A Louisiana version of The Ugly Duckling.

Christian (can't play that song).

LOL Jerry! Cool story Marc. Were there lyrics in the original song? Who did it originally, or is it one of those songs with obscure roots? I look forward to singing it.

Melville and Wandering Aces are very similar..maybe even the same tune with different names. But Lawrence Walker called his version the Wandering Aces Special. After all his band was called Lawrence Walker and the Wandering Aces.

Traveler Playboys special and Vagabond special, other songs, are also similar.
The words wandering, traveler and vagabond are similar. Curious, it's the same inspiration.

Marc.

Thanks for the story. As far as the words to the song I believe Marc Savoy wrote them. I perfer the song as an instrumental anyway.
Le Piquant

On the Savoy-Doucet-C-B's CD, Michael Doucet is the author.
On another Michael's CD "Le Hoogie Boogie" (cajun songs for childrens) the second verse are very few different :

Tous les samedi soir, mais dans la soirée,
Il guettait les jolies filles danser,
Tu connais, il a deux pieds gauches,
Mais pauvre p'tit Johnny peut pas danser.
Oh, p'tit Johnny, etc.........

Marc.

Here you go Jamey and all--enjoyed the chat. I know the lighting is bad but it was the best I could do in a rush. Also tried stomping (patting) feet and nearly lost my balance...sorry!

I don't know but I think it sounds exactly like the way I played it.
Le Piquant

Johnny Can't Dance, here ya go.

Re: Johnny Can't Dance, here ya go.

LOL Chris Miller - I almost fell down laughing when you talked about stomping your foot! Did you read Marc's Johnny Can't Dance story? I thought it was excellent.

Thanks so much for contributing to the project. I expect yours will be the version we ALL look up to.

more, more, more everyone!

I love seeing other people's versions, this kicks arse! And I mean everyone. Cool idea Jamey Hall Sorry I missed your call today, tried to ring back.

great stuff Jim. nice groove.

Hey Jim ..

Hot licks, dude! Very nice if I may say so

I posted my version @ 90 BPM .. After hearing your
demo, I think I should have stepped mine up!

--bn

Chris -

Or should I say Mr. Chris... I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to participate in our shenanigans. I can tell you that I have heard a lot of versions of this song, and I think this might be the best version I've heard. You really have a way to keep that chugging rythmic sound by plugging all those small notes in between the large phrases.

This one will be favorited for my accordion lessons in the future.

Thanks
BT

Great stuff chris...thanks for sharing.

Thanks Chris! Always nice to hear you play. And like always an amazing version.

Hope I'm not too late - Here's my Johnny Can't Dance

Jamie,

Great idea! It really lit up the Bravenet page

I humbly submit my "Johnny Can't Dance" medoly.

--Big

Re: Hope I'm not too late - Here's my Johnny Can't Dance

Awesome! That was lots of fun, and I got a lot of ideas from it - thanks Nick!

It's amazing how different the "good" players play it; it's as if we gave the song to a rocker, a country picker, a classical player, etc. and got all their different versions.

BTW, I want that background "Cajun Karaoke" CD! How cool would it be to have that to play with, especially if you don't have people to jam with.

rhythm track

Jamey,

If'n you'd like, I could post an mp3 version of the
rhythm track for you ..

You could download it & away you go

Later today?

--bn

Re: rhythm track

Heck yeah! BTW, I need to buy whatever instructional DVD's you have out past the first one, which I have. I've been slow to react to your new release(s) because I find I'm accruing a veritable hoard of resources, more than I can say grace over, and I'm not doing them all justice - for instance, Pee Wee Broussard's YouTube of Johnny Can't Dance; I feel like I could spend a year just on that alone. Makes me feel somehow wasteful of all my other stuff that's just lying around.

But I still want yours.

Thanks, Jamey

Hey Big,Timing ,expression,impeccable.Your fingers are doing sh*h I can't even think about.Nice speed too.Thanks for the post

Beginner version

Here's my beginner's version of Johhny Can't Dance on my C accordion built by Jude Moreau.

Re: Beginner version

Good job Bruce! And a VERY nice sounding box! Thanks, Jamey

Grampa's Version

Hey Jamey, I can't play JCD too well, but I just remembered my Grampa used to play it long ago.
I dug into my archive and found some old footage of him playing the tune. See Website #2.

Re: Grampa's Version

That was great! It was almost as if I was transported back to that time. And I must say, you're looking more like your Grandpa everyday; in fact, the resemblance is uncanny . . .

My version

Re: My version

Excellent! Way to go Wilfred!

Thanks

Thanks for the words of encouragement - both here and on the youtube site. I hope you other beginners will keep at it and remember the three p's: patience, practice and persistence. And thanks to Jamey for the the good project - I got a lot out of it.

Ha Wilfred! Long time no see! Nice one. Nice T shirt too.

Thanks Peer, or should I call you grampa now?

Actually, I AM a real grampa!! I have a granddaughter of 3 years!

Grampa

check website #3.

Re: Grampa

Hi Peer,
It's private ?

Yup, you must have hit the privacy button, Peer. Makes me wonder what Grampa's doin' . . .

Sorry Guys!

I wanted to share this with you, but not with the rest of the world. Didn't know how that private thing worked. I thought you would get access.
But now you can see my slightly OT grandchild Lily!

Grampa's getting really old. This time he forgot to save the settings after changing from "private "to "public".
Hope you don't blame him. I'll keep an eye on him from now on.
If you're still interested: it should work now!!

Re: Beginner version

Bruce very nice work you held up the biginers version very nicely

Re: Recent version from Brent Sarvaunt

My friend Brent, a fireman and accordionist from Lake Charles, graciously allowed me to post his version. Enjoy!

Thank you Patrick

All you stragglers make sure and get your "Johnny Can't Dance" video in this next week, before we move on to something new!

Many thanks to those who have already posted. I'm getting lots of feedback on how much it has helped people.

That was a great project Jamey, and a length of the thread that's already legendary.
Wonder what'll be up next.
By the way: Grampa got it finally fixed; see above.

Where is it, Peer? BTW, Your grandchild is a beauty and a cutie!

Yes, Grampa changed the setting from private to public, so the whole world can take a glimpse of his greatgranddaughter! (or is it great-great-granddaughter??)

Where it is? what do you mean?

I forgot! This is from my friend Greg Schucany in Dallas. I think he did a dang fine job!

Ooops! It must be a private video; I've heard people can't open it. I'll try again later. Sorry.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!