Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why the big difference in opinion of Gabbanelli among the Cajun/Zydeco folks and the Tex-Mex folks?

The Tex-Mex players seem to really love Gabbanelli 3-row boxes, and pay a lot of money for them. But Cajun/Zydeco players seem to think of the Gabbanelli 3-row boxes as very overpriced. Why the difference in Gabby reputation among the two groups?

Re: Why the big difference in opinion of Gabbanelli among the Cajun/Zydeco folks and the Tex-Mex fol

It's a good question.

When I was shopping for a triple row in 1991, I played everything I could find. I played a couple Gabbanelli's and I liked them. The price was much higher than other triple row brands - it was way beyond what I could afford. So, I ended up with a Guerrini.

I was not knowledgeable enough to make a distinction between something that is good but overpriced, vs. something that is very expensive, but worth the extra cost. Clearly, Gabbanelli costs a lot more. Is it that much better to justify the cost? I am not sure, but I'll say this: my Guerrini has never let me down. I've been playing the hell out of that thing for 18 years with no problems.

If we limit the conversation to the Gabbanelli Cajun King (single row), it is easier for me to say that they are not as good as the Louisiana (and E. Texas) "handmade" accordion brands. They are built OK, but the sound is very weak in comparison. But, an internal mic tends to even that out a bit.

The cost is less than the Louisiana accordions, so maybe it works out OK as a starter, or as a second. I am considering getting another accordion in G right now. It would not be my main axe for gigging by a long shot, but it would be nice to have. Maybe I would pull out for 4 or 5 songs. So, I was thinking about getting a King for that purpose. If it was still only $700, I might have gone for it, but at $900, I am having second thoughts.

Here's a thought about the Tex-Mex players compared to the Zydeco players. The Tex-Mex guys are almost always using the lighter, smaller, 2 reed triple row accordions. These are also MUCH less expensive than a 3 or 4 reed triple row. There is no way I would want to be limited to a 2 reed accordion for zydeco - NO WAY.

By the way, in your post you mentioned Cajun/Zydeco players opinion of Gabbanelli. Not to nit pick too much, but in Cajun music you will almost NEVER see a triple row accordion in use - it's only the single row. If you do see a band that uses a triple row, it will be a Zydeco band, or a Cajun band that is crossing over to Zydeco for a couple songs as a novelty. Steve Riley is in the latter category. His music is closely identified as Cajun, but he does throw in the occasional Zydeco song on a triple row. But, if you asked him about it, he would say "Oh yeah, I play a little Zydeco now and then". He will make that distinction.

-David

brands are important to some people

Several years ago, I had a conversation with the accordion salesman in a music store that caters almost exclusively to Tex-Mex (as well as Dominican) musicians. The store stocked Gabbanelli, Hohner, Weltmeister, and an Italian-made Gabbanelli knock-off.
I had played my way through the instruments (several dozen) and then the salesman asked me what I thought. I compared the boxes category to category:
The equivalent Weltmeisters had superior qualities (better tone, volume, responsiveness of reeds, smooth button action) than the Hohners.
The Italian 3 row boxes were similarly preferable to the Gabbanellis.
He then told me about his frustration in trying to sell the better instruments to the Tex-Mex players. Despite the obvious better quality, he can only rarely sell one to these players. "They are very brand conscious" he told me. They are set on Hohner or Gabbanelli. It's like trying to get someone to have a glass of Burgundy who has been drinking Coke or Pepsi all his life.
I asked if the Italian boxes were made by Elio Gabbanelli. "No comment" was the response.

Re: brands are important to some people

It really is a brand loyalty factor. And as triple row is a Zydeco box.. Gabbanelli triple rows are not tex mex per se.. but 90% NORTENO music ( which is the Mexican variety of what we call Tex Mex.. but has an entirely different sound.. unlike Tejano, Tex Mex, Conjunto which are all in some way cousins ).. Norteno is Mexican National music..and Gabbanelli is their axe.. why? Because Ramon Ayala plays one..and most of the big acts besides Los Tigres del Norte ( who play Hohner and Gabb ) play them: Flashy .. gawdy.. and with more switches and Italian reed sound.. less shrill than Hohner ( which is typically Flaco Jimenez sounding ).

I've owned and played most Italian brands.. and have actually collaborated with Hohner on their latest line up of diatonics..

I won't cast any votes here.. but will say that the whole brand loyalty blindness rings very true..and popularity has little recourse to the quality available.

Luckily things are changing..

G.

Re: brands are important to some people

Guess you're lucky also, as in living nearer to the Eyetalian honey jar ...

- Nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!