Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Another thought / jamming with Chris ..

I guess my thoughts are that if you aren't at least competent when it comes to performance music...and not necessarily brilliant or fantastic..but just competent ,at playing the accordion , then you probably should respectfully and honestly decline the invitation to play with the 'big guns'...ask for a raincheck and ask if you could do it at their gig next year.

It's a bit like public speaking..I find that there are no nerves at all when you know your subject well..but if you're not so well read on the subject, then that's when the nerves can jangle..and worse, you speak poorly and get caught out in question and answer time.

And as far as public peformance and being asked to sit in...I always say no if there hasn't been an opportunity for a short practice or run through with the song/s , before the gig.
It's called risk minimisation..and it's gonna be respected by the other band members who have to read your style...and deal with the way you start and finish the songs/melodies.

My 2 cents worth Jamey...( but of course, if you go in 'boots and all' with the 'big guns' AND get away with it..then disregard all I've said above ...LOL !! )
. Darryl.

Actually, I THINK I could handle jamming with them. It's when I want to get an evaluation from them that I've noticed a weird hurriedness and stiffness. Doesn't really make sense to me; I don't feel nervous. But I guess I am excited and kind of hyped up. It's not the guys themselves; you couldn't find a more down-to-earth guy than Chris, and I liked Wilson just fine, too, though I don't know him very well at all. It's just me.

I'll figure it out; I never heard of experience making anyone get worse!

Well said Darryl! Jamey I choke too when I go back to Jimmy after I have learned a song. Now, I can play it at a jam with him there and it doesn't bother me, but it is like taking a test in school I might know it but the stuff just won't come out for the test.
Le Piquant

The idea, to play with a very good player right next to me, makes me jittering all over my body.
A few years ago we played in Saulieu with Wilson Savoy and that was very nice playing, wich means it was awesome. And we also played with Bobby Michot in France and that was great too. They were not sitting next to me , so it gave me some stress, but no jitters.

Re: Getting the jitters in front of good players

Not any firsthand experience but I think you got to know that whoever is watching you play is checking out everything your doing and that you had better make every note count.

I'd sort of say the opposite - try to "tune them out" and focus on playing the best you can at your level of ability. Much better to under-play well than over-play poorly.

(Easy to say, hard to do, and while sitting next to a great player - durn near impossible.

I was just trying to make Jamey more nervous. So Jamey please concentrate and don't make a mistake or else you'll be reminded of it forever. Sounds like jail time to me.

This may seem a$$-backwards but I don't think I've ever gotten the jitters playing in front of really good or professional players. In fact I actually get more nervous in front of people who either do not play or have equal to less experience than me.

My thinking is that someone who is really good doesn't really expect much or care how good/bad someone like me is but someone who is less experienced or not experienced at all is much more likely to have certain expectations.

Jamey,
You just need to stage a wardrobe malfunction while you're playing. That way, you won't have to be nervous because no one will even remember what song you played.

yeah, i'd go that route Jude. maybe some disguise?

This to me is the same as shy bladder sindrome. It can be over come by focusing on a brick in the wall or some writing or a drawing that is scribbeled on the brick of some ones junk that is looking like it is drawned by a 4th year old. Reckon when you play in front of people it's like peing in front of them too. Pick out a person that is standing near the rear and stare at him and focus. Do that threw your gig and you'll be fine Jamey.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!