Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2 x Accordions Song

I've written a song which involves myself playing a Jude Moreau Bb and my band member, Steve, playing his Junior Martin C box. Vocals are shared.
The song alternates from F to G throughout..an it's sounding good..up tempo and should be a feature at gigs . It'll be on our CD later.

Anyone know any songs that I can sample/hear in full that involve 2 single row accordions..?
Darryl.

Re: 2 x Accordions Song

Not exactly the same, but Jambalaya does a tune with two accordions that play two tunes at the same time "scott playboy special" and "creole stomp" Its in stereo..so if you move the balance all the way to the left you hear one song and all the way to the left you hear the other.

Darryl,
I can think of a number of songs that use two accordions, but they play in the same key using the 1st position of one and the 3rd position of the other. I don't know of any that change keys to accommodate the accordions.

The earliest one I know of is Pat Savant and Wayne Toups doing Chere Tout-Toute and Creole Stomp on a C and D accordion. Of course, the Jambalaya song comes to mind that Mark mentioned, and I recorded a song on my CD where I alternate between a C and D accordion in the key of G.

Check out the last song "Between Eunice & Opelousas" off of High Performance's album "Live from Breaux Bridge part One". Steve Riley & Jason Bergeron both play the accordion in it, and it is an amazing performance.

Follow website link #1 and #2 below and listen to a sample at both:

Thanks guys for the info and links...I've tracked them down and played them back. That 'Between Opel. & Eunice" is 'hot to trot', isn't it ?

I'm a little surprised that there's not more recorded with dual accordions.
I guess generally the ' turn' works with one accordion and playing different positions as Ganey said, but I have to say the little bit we've played around with that G to F to G etc. really sounds good...and on different accordions you can get a dry and wet variation as well...like a Cajun sound, for want of a better term, then a growly F on a wet tuned Bb.
I just have a picture in my mind of a hypothetical gig with, say, Steve Riley playing then flicking over to the other guest accordionist...Broussard, Delafose,Ledet, etc on a Bb.
Oh well...we'll see what we Aussies can conjure up over here....we'll just shut our eyes and imagine we're one of the fore-mentioned players!!LOL.

What's down, Darryl?! Hope you're enjoying the cool Fall temperatures and all the harvest carnivals. Two accordions in one song is totally cool -- I've heard 4 in one... Roy Carrier, Chubby, Dikki Du, and Dwight. Toups did it all the time and that's what put Falcon Accordions on the musical map. Leo and Leroy Thomas did it, too.

Look.

The main thing is; if it fits the song -- or DOES something to the song that sounds good and is relevant, then it's all good. You shouldn't get too bogged down on rules like, if it's done before. I for one, am glad you are COMPOSING music and not trying to bake sugar cookies. Kudos to you for lashing your cutlass and bending a new corner. Shout at us when the CD is shrink-wrapped. I'd love to hear what's-a-cookin'...

R!CK

LOL...Cheers, Rick.....

The CD will be about 90% originals by me...possibly 100% if I can...there's just one or two songs I'd like to cover or adapt and include..BUT..we'll see what the rest of the band think later this month, or in May, when we're hopefully on the home stretch of the studio time.
We have tracks to complete all over the place..mostly vocal backings, keyboards, fiddle, lap steel...a little piano accordion, etc.
I did a mix down of some of the 'nearly' complete ones recently and tidied up some stuff in those tracks and I'm getting a good feeling....we'll see !! Ha !....I'm at the point where if I hear some of those songs thru the 'cans' one more time in playback / edit mode, I think I'll lose it !!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!