Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ok all you triple row players out there....

Great call, Dwight..let's hope we get some contributors.

I know that if we had more instructional material and support over here then my bands Piano Accordion and Button Accordion player would be more encouraged to invest in a Baffetti or similar, 'Zydeco Ready ' 3 Row..inbuilt mic etc.,.....also given that the Aussie dollar is now approaching parity with the US dollar.

i;d start with corey ledet;s video

i;d start with corey ledet;s video

it;s not bad

you don;t want to learn it the wle way, might be wrong

wle

Re: i;d start with corey ledet;s video

As Boozoo said "If I'm wrong, you wrong too."

Larry, that's the same reasoning I've been hearing for possibly 10 years from other triple row players, and as a result, there's nothing out there for anyone to work with. The more the merrier.

Anyone can choose to use or not use what is produced. Or they can move past it. Differing approaches might be useful. Not all approaches work for everyone on the single row.

Come on guys, put something out there. Or we'll be another 10 years down the road with nothing to show for it.

Hey Larry, we would love to see see of your stuff. I'm gonna get that Sony video program and work on it from my end. Dwight is right. there is a multitude of good video concerning the single row. I look at you tube all the time and always manage to pick up something. But the triple note is neglected. It will take me a few days but I'll do my best.

flat III is a must

i don;t feel like i have any real tricks
other than the flat third that everyone uses
it's what you hear all the time
in the row above, and to the left of the regular 3rd
[pull note, the 3rd is "B" on a C row"]
the flat thirdis about and to the left [B flat, also a pull note]
people do that slide all the time
and it;s about the first real difference between what you can play on a 3 row vs a 1 row

oh
and you can get a full major V chord on the pull by using the row below
like on the C row, usually to make a D chord,all you have is A and D, on the pull

but there is also an F# on the pull,it lives down on the G row
adding the F# makes a little triangle of buttons :)

oh and over on the left [top] side are the 'weird buttons'
that make the rest of the chromatic scale
sometimes you can figure out a little 3 note half step run using them

oh
and on the top row [F row on a GCF] there is a flat III of the I chord if that makes sense

say you are playing in the key of F on the F row
F's flat 3rd is A flat

it;s over on the left on that row
can;t remember if it is push or pull

but it;s all parlor tricks

most of that stuff you can;t use very often

except the flat III
they use that all the time
a flat III makes a very bluesy sound combined with the normal flat VII you can get from a 1 row
ie the note F when playing in G

i can write all this stuff but i don;t really have a lot of video equipment or time to really make and edit a video

i also think it;s not that useful compared to what mr corey has out there already

he;s way ahead of me

wle.

Re: flat III is a must

Do you mind if I repost this over on my Facebook zydeco list, so it doesn't get lost, scroll of the screen forever?

sure
wle

also - cory's video would cover at least the flat III
with examples

wle.

Yep, what he said.

The flat 3rd is all important. It's worth the price of admission just for that alone.

-David

Ok, so, I'm hitting a button on the outer row, and then hitting a button on the next row over, which is slightly to the left of the first button, and I'm not getting that holy grail sound. At least not on all of them. I don't have my accordion here at work so I can't tell you which.

Did I misunderstand something?

A bit confused myself. Now this explanation is referenced to a GCF? I'm looking at the button layout for GCF on Senor Maestro program. I can't see this. Which row, GCF,which button, which direction? Also do you know a good example on Cory's disc?

Thanks Larry. You've been very helpful. My Panther sounds OK with 3 Mouser microphone elements implanted. I use the excuse that if Queen Ida can sound good on a Corona II, I should be able to squawk out something on my 2 voice Panther!

Craig - Senor Maestro

Do you know anyway to slow that thing down when it showing scales and chords progressions? No tengo de habla.

Re: Craig - Senor Maestro

There is a slide bar on the right, just like this page.
Sliding it up or down will change the speed. Its a nice application for the triple row. All you need to do is add some Zydeco groove and you're all set.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!