Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leon Chavis 3 Row

Just found this Leon Chavis and The Zydeco Flames Youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4p30_CA3k&feature=related

This guy and his band have a real strong groove thing goin'...Zydeco Hip-Hop?.

..can anyone tell me what accordion he's playing and what keys 3 row it would be.
Looks like a Hohner.
Song is in Em..with Am/Am7 and B7 ..well,it is to my ears anyways.

What mic pick up can be used in these accordions?

What cost would there be in buying one of these and having it miked up?

Seems to me that although this 3 row doesn't have the growl of a top end 3 row Baffetti or similar , he still manages to make it sound good...all in the technique I guess.

Re: Leon Chavis 3 Row

Hohner Panther. 2 reeds per note. Not a bad 3 row for $350. I have one. I put in 3 dynamic mic elements purchased from Mouser for about $4 ea. A similar box is the Hohner Corona II. Queen Ida plays one of those. Not a screamer, but workable.

Thanx Craig....good info....appreciate your prompt reply.

BTW..what is/are the key/keys of the Panther that he's playing?...he's pulling those Em/Aminor chords and licks .

I play single row Bb and C but don't understand the patterns on a 3 row.

I really like the minor key of that song...and others that Leon plays on his CDs ..very bluesy .

Panther only comes in GCF. However, with removable reed blocks, he might have anything in there. But to replace those out costs in the range of $350, so, for that additional money, he could have gone with a Compadre for better sound. So, probably GCF

Thanx Dwight.

Man..I wish someone would produce a definitive instructional video on triple row Zydeco...the theory as well as the practical.

Who knows..they may even make some good money out of it given the various genres of music that 3 Row involves. My only interest is Zydeco , but there's stacks of 'Latino' and ' Ethnic " out there.

I can't find any on-line assistance....or is there but I've missed it?

I have been asking people on this list to offer up some videos of their 3-row playing, for well over seven years. No one will do it.

One early reason I heard was "I don't want to teach anyone wrong". And I suspect that is what others think, that they might be somewhat insecure about their own playing style, even though they probably play very well.

The only video I know of for zydeco is the one by Corey Ledet. Wilson Savoy put that one together after I asked him to do something because there was nothing available.

I don't know what it will take for people to feel comfortable sharing what they do. Doesn't have to be lessons, just a video where the fingering is very clear.

You might notice that I keep asking on there "Zydeco Videos?", or "3-row videos", and some people do respond with good intentions, but it hasn't gelled yet.

So, I'm perplexed. It think it is going to take one brave soul to be the first one, and then see that no one has ostracized them for their attempt, before anyone else will join in.

Yeah Dwight..it's one of life's great mysteries.

Mark in Arkansas is buying Corey's DVD but of course there's no feedback on that yet. He also advised this link http://davetrial.tripod.com/index.html

I guess this is a Cajun Accordion Discussion Board in essence, but IMHO that shouldn't be a reason for non-single row material being included in the topics..I think of it as a sympathetic genre. And let's face it, Cedric Watson plays that deeelightful 2 row now.

You would think that the concept of 3 row video instruction on-line would be a 'snap' for someone to do...particularly if they could make some $$ out of it.
There is a Square Neck Dobro On-Line site which is really good and I use it...extremely well priced and well produced..not high budget but clear and patiently taught.

Sighhhhh!

Well I know I have promised to do it and still haven't. I will have some free time this month so my intention is to take a shot at it, at least as far as showing some Zydeco basics that I have picked up.
Weblink #2 takes you to a site that will at least give you the notes on a GCF 3 row push and pull if you need to know them. I learned by watching and trial and error. I think that is how most learn. Once you make the commitment and actually get a triple you need to just fool around with it to try and get the sound that you hear. Corey's video takes you there. Boudin Man is a good one to fool with. It is a basic one note Zydeco riff in C (FBE) or D (GCF) and it gets the pull push Zydeco Chank a chank going. Work the bass notes on the top outside row closest to the strap with the riff, but not like on a single row. You have to selectively hit those buttons in time with the riff so you get the sound you want. Then try to play Tous Les Temps en Temps in that same key. Try the chords first, then pick out the Blue Runner riff on the first two outside rows. On the pull in C (FBE) or D (GCF). Then you build from there. One of the tricks is to try and get the bellows working in and out by hearing the notes that are the same on the push and the pull. That's why Boudin Man is so good to work on. it gets you working those bellows in and out nice and tight so you can keep that rhythm going. Look at Corery's youtube vid on that song when he is playing up in Mass. with Bonnie on rubboard. Watch his fingers to get the position he is in. then try and match it on your box. Once everyone wakes up here at home I'll try and explain Leon Chavis's lick in that video when I can get out my 3 row.

Song is in Em. First chord is played on the pull, inside row counting from the keyboard closest to your chin up , 3rd row closest to the bellows, 2d row middle, 1st row is the outside of the keyboard farthest from the bellows.

3rd row, 2,3, 2d row 6 pull this is Em If you want to play bass you can alternate and play the top bottons closest to the bellows one on top of the other on the push, that is Em. And/Or you can pull on the 4th button counting up from the button closest to your chin in the direction farthest from your chin on the outside row, farthest from the bellows. that is the first chord.

2d chord is 2d row 3, 1st row 6 on the pull, no bass suppport for this one.

3rd chord is just a C played on the middle 2d row on the push any botton or combination. Or you can minor it up and play 4,7 on the push middle row (2) You can suppport that on the bass with the two middle buttons counting up and down on the first row farthest from the bellows on the push or bottom two buttons on the first row farthest from the bellows on the pull.

This is a standard Zydeco combo that is the bassis for a zillion songs. Haterz by Keith Frank comes immediately to mind. Find this on youtube and play along with it. You can find a blues scale on the pull using these notes on the 1st and second rows. This also morphs into Richard's Club, Baby Please don't go and lots of Beau Jocqaue minotr key stuff. Once you get the chords you can work on the rhythm that you hear to play more songs. This is a bit advanced i think but since it is up there it is a good way to get the feel of the instrument and the keyboard. You have to just fool around with this basic pattern and try some cajun style slurs, octaves etc. to get a sound you like. There are all sorts of combos you can do with notes right there at your fingertipos. Then you can slide it all over to the right and play it on the two outside rows for a different key. let me know how you guys do on this.

BIG thanx, JA....you've put a lot of work into the Post Replies.

I just KNEW someone would step up to the plate.....all the best...look forward to the next phase.

Regards, Darryl, Australia.

most if not all that could be played on a single row C accordion

it;s very common to play in E minor on a C row

easy too
it;s just the notes in G which is the 'pull'

though i may be also hearing the 'blue note' from the F row in there too

most 3 row playing is done on one row - with one extra note from the row 'above' added in where ever it seems to fit

usually this is the flat 3rd

in the key of G, you have the regular, major, 3rd, B, on the home row, on the pull

up on the F row, however, there is a magic note, B flat - it;s the flat, or minor 3rd, in the key of G

it;s also on the pull

you can slide between those 2 all day long and no one ever gets tired of it

wle

Good advice Larry.....

I'm sure the difference which is significant to my ear is that ability to pull a bluesy 7th .

On my guitar it feels right to play the following chord progression...Em- Am- Am7 passing chord - then B7...and as an improvisation sometimes I drop in a 7th. passing chord on the Em.
I wonder also if the action of the 3 row buttons allows for slurs...well, slurs as best you can on a button accordion...Leon does them and that further adds to the bluesy feel.

there are more possible slurs than on a one row
just because there are more notes in the same direction
though to get any new slurs you have to get off the main row and find them

that flat III - major III thing i was talking about, is a slur

a half step actually

the smaller they are, the more 'fretless' they sound, and slur-ish

wle

Whatever Leon is doing sounds great. Holla @ Me is one of the best releases of 2008. My buddy Pandy on the guitar makes that record groove!

R!CK

Yeah Rick..that song just hits the spot!....and doesn't that Zydeco Ballers dancer dude front left look like Chris Rock....LOL.

And check out Leon's ( sic.) Si Cest Bon video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_LXHPV38ks

Hooey !

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!