Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Backing Rhythm for Learning

Hey..seems there's a LOT of interest...not surprising I guess...there's a lot of us Braves marooned WAY outside of South West Louisiana.

( Long post coming up so hang in there !)

Nick..yep..I think if you can work up something containing accompaniment that'd be great.

If it was on CD I could play it through my PA amp and get a fuller sound than if I was getting it through computer speakers...and my PA is located in a part of the house where accordion sounds aren't quite as penetrating..for want of a better word, LOL.

Perhaps a twin pack DVD and CD, Nick?

I was actually thinking the process could be come more INTERACTIVE....in that, a learner, or even someone with intermediate skills could nominate the song they prefer and enjoy ( which is really important )...then the accompaniment could be sent to them in the correct key...
Of course... that would require the learner to advise song and key of accordion they have.

An example I was going to trial was to ask JAMEY, for instance, if he sent me a sound file of a song he plays, or a song he's trying to cover, then I could work up accompaniment to it by way of drum beat and guitar and email it back to him as an MP3 sound file.

It would be an interesting experiment.

If a sound file wasn't able to be sent to me then a video clip posted on Youtube for instance and on the Board..
You could argue that Jamey would already know the song, so why bother, but we're talking about taking it to the next level for Jamey.This would also prepare him better for the times he finds himself in a band situation.
For a beginner it's a whole bigger ball game.

Another way is for someone to nominate a cover song , say, by Steve Riley or Marc Savoy or Geno or whoever.
If I had the song in my CD collection I could make an accompaniment sound file and send back to them. If I don't have that CD someone could send me the sound file of that artist or a Youtube clip.

The plus side would be that , eg. Jamey, would get a rhythm backing that would force his hand tempo-wise and also give him a lot more enjoyment.
( I have to add that I think Jamey needs very little help from what I've seen or heard..he plays great ).

Not sure NICK where that all leaves you, but feel free to take up the concept ..and even trial something with JAMEY, or whoever..if they're willing.

I think DVD's 'anchor' the viewer to a computer screen when in fact a more flexible and portable medium like a CD would be a little better.

I think my wife would be pretty irritated if I sat in front of my computer located in the living area of the house, and played accordion to an instructional clip for any length of time...I think next stop would be a lawyers office ..LOL !!..BUT..If I could get to a remote location with a backing disc..maybe not even in the same house, then legal fees could be reduced!! Ha !

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!